Tire chain damage

/ Tire chain damage #21  
SPYDERLK said:
I have no experience, but I agree with this. I also think chains should slip incrementaly on the tire to prevent concentrated wear points at the chain crossovers.
larry

I disagree. The lugs on my rear tires (R4s) were damaged this winter because I didn't take the time to put the chains on properly. It's the first time in 5 years that I've had any problems, and I work them rather hard.

/ Tire chain damage #22  
Jstpssng said:
I disagree. The lugs on my rear tires (R4s) were damaged this winter because I didn't take the time to put the chains on properly. It's the first time in 5 years that I've had any problems, and I work them rather hard.
In what way were they installed improperly and how did the problem exhibit itself?

/ Tire chain damage #23  
SPYDERLK said:
In what way were they installed improperly and how did the problem exhibit itself?

I didn't bother to tighten them down properly, as it was getting dark and my lights don't work. It took 1" and larger chunks out of the lugs.

OOPS, I meant R1s:eek:

/ Tire chain damage #24  
Jstpssng said:
I didn't bother to tighten them down properly, as it was getting dark and my lights don't work. It took 1" and larger chunks out of the lugs.

OOPS, I meant R1s:eek:

I concur. I recently put v-bar ladder chains on my R-4's and they were too loose. I noticed scarring on the mid point of the lugs. Those v-bars can damage the tire quickly if they turn into the tire instead of the ground.
The chains would work themself looser and get out of alignment. This past Sunday I chiselled out one cross section and got the right rear tire chain on much tighter. Yesterday I ploughed fresh snow for an hour and that right chain held on perfectly. Today I have go out and take one cross section off the left rear tire and then tighten it down like the other tire.

I thought that putting chains on the front tires was not reccomended? It sure would help with steering if I had chains on the front tires as well.

/ Tire chain damage #25  
Northland said:
I thought that putting chains on the front tires was not reccomended? It sure would help with steering if I had chains on the front tires as well.

Who doesn't recommend them? The tirechain.com folks told me they never heard of any problems with chains on the front, my friend plows many driveways with chains on the front and has done so for years with no problems. I have chains on my front R1's with no problems and none on the rear.:eek:

/ Tire chain damage #26  
Oleozz said:
Who doesn't recommend them? The tirechain.com folks told me they never heard of any problems with chains on the front, my friend plows many driveways with chains on the front and has done so for years with no problems. I have chains on my front R1's with no problems and none on the rear.:eek:

I could have sworn that in my Kubota owners forum searches I found that most respondents suggested it was not reccomended to put chains on the front tires...dunno why. Can someone, who knows for sure, clear this up?

I would love to have chains on my front tires as well. Those little guys spin helplessly when I have the back blade down and/or the FEL pushing snow. It's pathetic how poor they are naked in the snow.

/ Tire chain damage #27  
Northland,
I do not think you would be able to put chains on the front of your B7800 (if that is the tractor you would want them on). The tie rod is so close to the tire you would not have the clearance for them. I was looking at doing the same thing and found that they would not fit. As for the reason why not to put chains on the front, I have no idea.

/ Tire chain damage #28  
Northland said:
I could have sworn that in my Kubota owners forum searches I found that most respondents suggested it was not reccomended to put chains on the front tires...dunno why. Can someone, who knows for sure,.

I have read just about every post over the last six months on this subject and "those who know for sure" are only going on hearsay and have no actual experience with chains on the front hurting anything. I talked to a friend who plows in the winter as one of his business ventures and his statement, "Why would it hurt anything?" I guess you have to make up your own mind as to what damage it can do.

/ Tire chain damage #29  
DWW68 said:
Northland,
I do not think you would be able to put chains on the front of your B7800 (if that is the tractor you would want them on). The tie rod is so close to the tire you would not have the clearance for them. I was looking at doing the same thing and found that they would not fit. As for the reason why not to put chains on the front, I have no idea.

Thanks for that DWW68 - I will go out and look at my front tires in the morning. I beleive that B7800 owners with turf tires must add spacers to their rear wheels in order to accomodate chains because of the lack of space in the wheel well. I used heavy duty plastic tie-down straps to hold the excess chain and me tensioners together so the chain didn't bang inside my fender with every tire rotation.

/ Tire chain damage #30  
Oleozz said:
I have read just about every post over the last six months on this subject and "those who know for sure" are only going on hearsay and have no actual experience with chains on the front hurting anything. I talked to a friend who plows in the winter as one of his business ventures and his statement, "Why would it hurt anything?" I guess you have to make up your own mind as to what damage it can do.

I did a bunch of searches on TBN and it seems you are right Oleozz.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/72937-chains-front-pros-cons.html?highlight=front+tire+chains

Whether I can find a pair to fit on my Kubota B7800 is still questionable though.