Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #1  

PAFarmboy1

Bronze Member
I purchased a Toolcat 5600c in June 2006. I have one nagging problem. In extreme conditions, e.g. When the temparature outside is 95 degrees, after approximately 30 minutes with the mower and AC running full throttle, the temparture gauge goes up and if I don't shut down the mower the cooling system will boil over and I loose most of the cooling fluid. My dealer, who by the way is very reputable claims this is a systemic problem with the Toolcat 5600c. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a solution from Bobcat? I am told that this has been corrected in the 5600d. What about for the 5600c owner?

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #2  
I have heard that cooling was improved on the D. I assume you are keeping the radiator clear. Have you tried special coolant that is designed to keep systems cooler?

jmf

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #3  
PAFarmboy1 said:
I QUOTE]

i have heard that the C had problems. while I am not familiar with the cooling system on the TC, I have solved a problem on the Bobcats. I brush mow and grind all the time. I use a piece of cut to fit A/C filter made of a tough plastic (don't think it's fiberglass but it doesn't burn easily either) between the grill and the radiators. I let it get dirty first then I knock it off. I also carry a compressor and blow out the underside of radiator and then all around it every few hours. I grinded today for nearly 7 hours (really dusty too) and only had to bang out the filter a few times. It works good to keep things out of the radiator fins and they are cheap. I get them at Walmart and cut to fit over the radiator. Maybe it would work for you?

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue
I appreciate the responses on this issue very much! Thanks Guys! I keep the machine very clean after each mowing, I raise the bed and clean the radiator with a soft brush, then use a leaf blower to ensure their is nothing on the engine. The Bobcat Tech from my dealer who visited my farm after the last incident brought along the special concentrate from Bobcat for the radiator, almost looks like grape juice. He remarked that after a year, the Toolcat is in showroom condition. I have a snow blower and chipper which run with no problem. The Tech told me that he only has this problem with the 5600C when a mower is used in very hot humid conditions. I also appreciate the tip with the A/C Filter. Just wondering how to use this on the Toolcat since the radiator is flat and lies under the dump bed. I would certainly like to try it!

Thanks

JMFox is there something else I should pour into the coolling system other than the prescribed coolant from Bodcat?

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #6  
I used to have this problem also.

I now raise the dump bed up about a foot. It really helps the air circulation.

Good Luck

Yooper Dave

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #8  
PAFarmboy,
Before getting my TC version C in November of '05, I demoed a B series which had an overheating problem as you describe. I have never had any problem with my C series overheating, even after hous of cutting brush and saplings. I did add synthetic hydraulic fluid and I have noticed that the temps of the hoses after use are considerably cooler...I suspect from better heat dissipation and slightly thinner viscosity. Quite possibly the engine can maintain high hydraulic pressure with less strain. The A and B series had widespread over-heating issues and some of these were addressed in the C, but obviously not all. Good luck!
Steve

JM Fox: If I add the Royal Purple Ice Super Coolant Radiator Additive, is this with the manufactors specs! If So, I will order it immediately.

Yooperdave: I will also raise the bed, I never thought of that.

Gentlemen: Thanks for the information!

/ Toolcat 5600c Overheating Issue #10  
You should give the manufacturer of Royal Purple and tell them the manufacturer and model of your diesel engine. Also look in your TC manual to see what is recommended.

jmf