90 vs 72" mower

/ 90 vs 72" mower #1  

theoshin

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Toolcat turbo
there have been previous posts on this subject. most with the 72 wished they had gotten the 90 for several reasons. ? for those with the 90" - any problems with the tc aux hydraulics being able to handle the 90" mower in thick grass. i am wondering if i can mow my pastures with the 90" vs the 72". i am sure the tc can handle lawn but what about crp type grass with the 90"??? i understand the mower will not be able to go quickly through tall thick grass, but i want to make sure it is the mower and not the tc hydraulics that limits it speed.

thx
ts

/ 90 vs 72" mower #2  
I find the hydraulics are not limiting the 90" in tall material but the blades are..they are made for finish mowing and are not sharp the whole length like a brush hog blade. I find the mower will knock the growth down but if I want it too look good I have to go slow or mow twice.
Best part is sharpening..just lift and tilt the mower, put on the safety arm and grind the blades on machine..
It is amazing how close you can get to objects like fence posts and trees with the 90"..
I did check with parts and they do not make a blade with full cutting edge for it

/ 90 vs 72" mower #3  
I HAVE BEEN MOWING MY PASTURES FOR THREE YEARS WITH THE 90 AND HAVENT HAD ANY TROUBLE, EXCEPT MY WIFE INSISTS THAT 5.5" IS TOO SHORT, SO I HAD A MACHINE SHOP EXTEND THE WHEEL SPINDLES SO I CAN MOW AT 6-7INCHES. I CAN MOW AT 6-8MPH My son came in and said I was yelling,and he turned the caps light off. Sorry. That speed is good , doesnt skip, doesnt bypass the hydraulics, and does a good job.
For tall grass or wet conditions, the answer is Meg-mo disc type blades. One bit of advice--check your radiator for dust and grass seed debris quite often, or overheating will occur. The system will boil over even when the gauge isnt showing to be excessively hot!

/ 90 vs 72" mower #4  
Goatman,

Do you have any pictures of the modified wheel setup you could post? I've been thinking about fabricating an additional set using larger pneumatic wheels to mow at 10"+. Also thought I could add springs to the spindles to reduce the shock on the mower.

dsb