Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth?

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #1  

kupiad

I purchased a Toolcat (A Series) from a local Bobcat dealer last September. The "A" was a used unit from a local school. It was used by them, primarily for snow removal and general maintenance. It was well cared for by the school and any problems that I've had with the unit (broken belt and broken hydraulic hose) were covered by the dealer under the warranty. I've put very few hours on the machine, primarily from snow blowing over the past winter. The unit has about 1800 hours on it now. I paid $25,000 for it last year, but I also purchased a brand new snow blower with it as part of the package.

I now have the opportunity to purchase a newer (C Series) from another Bobcat dealer. It is a left over "demo" model with only about 8 hours on it. The dealer is willing to look at my "A" for consideration as part of the deal.

My questions to the group are:

1. What is a far trade-in price for the "A"? (It does have the standard front bucket, A/C and all the front end upgrades to it)

2. What is a far asking price for the "C"? (It has the turbo engine, standard front bucket, A/C and the bed liner). I am interested in a price for the "C" alone and for the "C" with the "A" as a trade-in. (I could probably sell the "A" on my own, if the dealer is not willing to give much for it in trade)

Any input from the group would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. : A Bobcat dealer I was talking to at a state farm progress show this past summer told me that the trade-in values on the "A" units are going down fast, since the introduction of the "D" series. He told me a lot of dealers don't want to be stuck with an "A" or even a "B" unit anymore.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #2  
There are a few low hour C's on ebay with buy it now prices of 26-27K. One last week got to about 16K but didn't sell and had high flow and cab a/c. It seems like the toolcats take a hit on resale. There is one on craigslist in my area for the past year. 2004 toolcat with about 300 hours, cab a/c, road package, no high flow or turbo. He is asking 35K which is absurd. I could almost buy a new D with high flow, a/c and road package for that price. With 1800 hours, many people will be reluctant to buy it although it still has a lot of life yet.
Find out what the dealer trade in difference would be and use that as a guideline for the low end bottom dollar price.
My price guess in your situation: dealer will offer-
A toolcat- 18K
C toolcat-30-32k
The dealer is looking to make money on the sale of the C and resale of your A. Don't be fooled by the "demo" unit. It is a new unit and is he is having trouble selling it. My guess is he won't want your A toolcat unless he is getting a great deal on his part. He already has a C he can't sale.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth?
Radman1... thanks for the input. I'm supposed to meet with the dealer on Saturday. I'm interested to see what his offer will be. Thanks again.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #4  
Try to make sure somehow that the 'C' unit is not an early production build. Some of the early units had a defect that introduced metal filings into the hydraulics. It's possible the problem wouldn't show up before 100 hours of use. If this is one of those units, I would avoid it at any price. Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

Perhaps someone can provide input on the range of serial numbers where this defect occurred, then you could compare the serial number of the unit you're looking at to that list.

I would be interested in knowing what deal he offers you. It would give me a point of comparison to what my unit might be worth.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #5  
bobcat does not know - random batch of bad drive motors on early prod c's.

ts

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #6  
Then it sounds like he needs to make sure it isn't a low serial number in the model series.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #7  
Rolando,
As stated, the defects were random, as I have one of the earliest C models and I have never had any issues with my TC.
That said, I would use caution if buying a C and request a 1 year warranty as a good faith measure.
Steve

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #8  
If the C is truly a "demo" it is still considered new by the factory and will carry the standard 12 month/unlimited hour warranty so that's not an issue. You may want to look at buying a second year of driveline warranty as it's not expensive compared to the coverage you get.

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #9  
I would figure mid 20's with extra low hours, ac turbo, etc. I picked up a late 2005 "B" this summer with 300 hrs, turbo, ac, pto, highflow, 4n1 bucket, standard bucket, farm grapple for 20k even. Only needed a few minor things. I guess it would depend on what you are willing to pay and the availability of another machine that's comparable. A new one is nearly 40 with all the options you listed, right?

/ Toolcat (C Series) and what is it worth? #10  
Here's one case for what someone is willing to pay for a 'C'. There's a high bid for an open auction on ebay of $25,001 for one with 625 hours. It looks like the only options it has are high-flow and the cab with A/C and the radio.