snowblower - QA vs bobcat

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #1  

jabbahop

Tractor
2007 Toolcat Turbo C series
I need some help working through the sales FUD that I am getting from my bobcat dealer and the QA sales team.

I have a toolcat C turbo with standard flow.

The QA guys have a 61 or 73 inch blower with the 14 to 7 pin adapter and shipping for $5K. The recommend the 73 saying I will have the power and you want it wider than the toolcat's 61" width. QA says their is a much better unit than bobcat - who knows if that is true.

The bobcat guy says - 73 is too wide and it won't work well with the wide range hydrallic motor that QA offers (says Bobcat's are tuned to specific gpm ratings). The 60" bobcat with the 5.5 motor package is $6K including the 7 pin setup that I need in either case.

It looks to me a few hundred dollars difference (after the 7 pin gets installed) and the advantage of having a local dealer standing behind the bobcat unit.

I know some of you have one of these units - any advice? This is a big ticket item and I don't want ANY regrets on this.

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #2  
IMHO, I would go with the bobcat. They are designed for the flow rate. Good units. I would go with a unit slightly wider than the toolcat. I think they make a 66" unit. Bobcat will have better resale as well. I haven't been disappointed with Bobcat attachments.

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #3  
i would go with the bobcat - if it does not work well they will need to get the motor right as it is bobcat/bobcat. snowblowers are finicky about matching flow to motor to fan size. i had my motor package changed. i would recommend the 200 unit - the 240 needs the high flow. i have the 240 72 inch but probably would buy the 200 if i could do over as the 240 is huge and heavy. overkill for my use. i would definately want a blower wider than 61 inches - otherwise you will be driving over snow every time you turn. probably the 200 66 with standard flow. not sure how the 72 would go without high flow.

you need to talk with someone who has the 200 66 or 72 without high flow.

ts

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #4  
I'll throw my vote in for the QA-2000 (73" or 61").

First of all, QA does not use a one-size-fits-all motor for a given series. You tell them what machine and flow you are using it on, and they build the blower with the appropriate motors (fan & auger) for that flow rate. They will use one of three or four motor displacements to cover the range they list in the literature.

Second, the overall width really only affects the first pass through virgin snow, after that you can take 70, 80, 90% of full bite as you wish. Having the blower somewnat wider than the machine does reduce the chance your wheels will run in virgin snow on turns. This is really not a bit deal. A narrower blower will be a bit lighter and cheaper ($100), but also not a significant difference.

The 200(0) series (20" fan diameter) is the most appropriate size for a Toolcat. The 240(0) series has a 24" fan and really wants more hyd HP and machine weight to handle it efficiently.

Unless you anticipate another multi-function hydraulic attachment, you do not really need the 7 pin or 14 pin wiring set-up. The hand-held aux controller from QA will work just fine. It only controls the chute rotation and deflector angle, so is not something you are having to adjust every minute anyway. Some have mounted it to the dash or joystick, or just lay it on the passenger seat.

My first QA blower was set up for 15 gpm for my PowerTrac 1845 and worked fine last winter. Your standard-flow TC has more I think.

I have dealt with Brad at QA for two blowers and several other attachments and he will treat you right (as I am sure the others there will as well).

On the other hand, I am sure there is nothing wrong with the Bobcat blowers, just more $$.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited:
   / snowblower - QA vs bobcat #5  
i dont disagree as i have never run the competitors blower.

about the 240 - its wt is around 1050 lbs - that is no problem for the tc. my brushcat is 1700 lbs. i too thought it was a bit much for the tc but bobcat and my dealer were sure it was fine. my dealer claims they have sold several 240's to tc owners whom are happy with its performance. i would like to compare it to the 200. i used my blower 4 times last winter. i hope global warming is not to blaim! the broom was used a lot more as it did great under 4 inches and leaves the driveway clean. 8 inches usually comes over a day and i can broom 2x at a fast speed to keep up.

ts

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #6  
Theo,

The intent of my comment regarding the 240(0) series with the 24" fan was more that it needs more hydraulic HP to take advantage of the larger blower fan. In fact QA lists the flow range for the 2400 series as 24 to 42 GPM. The standard-flow TC is quite a bit less than that, and even a high-flow model with 27 gpm is in the bottom of the range.

The physical weight is only about 100 to 125 lbs more for the same width.

Hope your new D is working out and that you have had no other problems beyond the initial belt issue.

Happy Thanksgiving.....

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #7  
I have the bobcat 200 72" running on a b series low flow. I give it an ok rating. It blows but not nearly as well as my tractor blowers.
The fan housing is not very deep on the bobcat blower and you have to creep though the snow.

Of course it snowed here today and my bobcat blower was broken and in the shop again so i could just be biased!

i'm having problems with the chute. it does not get a signal to rotate or change the elevation. the dealer is looking into it ... again.

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #8  
the high flow 240 bobcat 72 inch flow require are 24 to 32 gpm so i think the tc with high flow is in the middle of that range. i know if i turn the high flow off the blower really has trouble even getting snow off the driveway. i think more flow would help but more importantly a higher hp engine would help as going down hill the blower is unstoppable and going up my hill it looses performance signficantly.

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #9  
You seem to have quite a dilemma on your hands. Both seem to be blowing a little smoke up your rear.

Found this:

Hydraulic Drive:
Bobcat and QA/Erskine offer the exact same hydraulic motors. The manufacture is the same and the displacement is the same.

Specifications:
Flight/fan the Bobcat uses a plate that will block off some of the fan, could be an effort to allow the snow to be thrown with more force = more distance, also possible to throw less in the way of quantity. The QA uses a wide open fan, may provide more snow flow.
1 stage auger QA痴 is 2 larger in diameter.
Intake Height QA痴 is 9 larger.

Controls:
In addition Bobcat decided for some reason to change their attachment control kit to 7 pin. Some point to a way for Bobcat to 斗ock in their equipment owners to purchasing their attachments. This newer technology has a short track record compared to the 14 pin that has been around for decades.

Miscellaneous:
Bobcat痴 chute痴 rotation mechanism looks a little more of a problem compared to QA痴 chain.

There was actually more to this document with some side by side picture comparisons but I cannot find it at the moment. I will post it when I do.

/ snowblower - QA vs bobcat #10  
erskine used to make snowblowers for bobcat - that is why they are so similiar in design. i believe bobcat bought erskine then sold it back to erskine employees after IR took over bobcat??? something to that effect.

the charlynn drive motors on the snowblowers are nothing special - good motors but not that expensive - that is why i cant figure out why all the bobcat attachments are soo expensive. that is another thread.

so basically both blowers are pretty similiar because of their common background. either one will work with the right package.

on my 240 i can change the size of the opening with a somewhat adj plate.

btw - i found dealers prices on attachments varry widely. even the "retail price" varried by hundreds of dollars from one to the next. dont believe the bs that attachments are discounted - they are. 6000 for a 200 seems a bit steep.