Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool!

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #1  

MessickFarmEqu

I gotta say, I was impreseed. It drove really nicely. I like the F/R shuttle. It was an AWS and really turned tight. Build quality seemed good, I liked the controls. I was really disappointed in the strength of the loader, it did not seem to have the capacity that it should. Defentialy not somthing for daily dirt work, but I can see that it has a place.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #2  
Was it the lift capacity you didn't like? It is rated for 1500# but will lift 2000# to full height. The lift has a different arc compared to a CUT or SS and more circular in pattern. FEL and SS is more vertical or larger radius arc. The shorter circular arc is less than optimal for dirt work. As it lifts, there is a lot of forward swing which makes dirt work more difficult because the lift arm wants to dig and lift against too much resistance. As with most machines, it is a compromise in some aspects. Even my bobcat S300 has some issues in hard digging and it has over 8500# in weight and much more lift. I am interested in buying one, but may try installing a slightly larger lift cylinder-if I can find the right length, stroke and pin diameters. I would like to have a 2250-2500 lb lift capacity. Based on prior measurements I took, there should be room for a 1/2" larger cylinder for the boom. I would like to be able to use it on my 36" tree spade but need a little more lift capacity for bigger trees. The 7' lift height is a little marginal for some tasks.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #3  
I am not sure what the market is for these machines but I would think a 3000 pound lift capacity would be ideal. Then you can use it on jobsites (either construction or landscape). I know with construction it would be a great machine in that it can handle small task like a telehandler and fill the role of a UTV at the same time. With landscaping it could lift pallets of sod (not sure how heavy they can get), landscaping stone/block and other palleted items.

I would love to own a Toolcat but I can't justify the cost as it is basically a supersized UTV with a price 3-6 times that of other UTV's:(

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #4  
Robert_in_NY said:
I would love to own a Toolcat but I can't justify the cost as it is basically a supersized UTV with a price 3-6 times that of other UTV's:(
The toolcat is much more than a UTV. They really are a compromise machine. Not as fast or smooth riding as most UTV's, can't lift as high or turn as sharp as a SS, doesn't have a 3 pt like a CUT, and can't haul/tow as much or go as fast as a pickup or technically street legal. However, they can turn in a 17' diameter circle, tow 4000#, lift 2000#, can travel 18mph, are gentle on grass/turf, can haul 2000# in hydraulic dump bed, can utilize 40 attachments, has independant suspension for smoother ride and soon will have rear 3pt and pto.

They can do a lot of tasks but overall not great at any one job with maybe the exception of snow removal. However, they are much cheaper than a SS, UTV, CUT or PU together. It's multitask ability is what intrigues me. List price on base toolcat is around 32K and can have street price of 27-28K. A loaded Bobcat S300 SS will sell for about the same as a loaded Toolcat. Kubota RTV 900 for 11K. Kubota RTV 1100 for 16K. Polaris ranger XP 10-11K. Pickup for 30-50K.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #5  
radman1,

You really did a nice job of capsulating toolcat's contribution. I like the fact that it is a brave departure from the accepted format, and has a seat for a friend.

jmf

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #6  
Plus it is excellent on lawns using 6' finish mower with great visibility and control in tight spots~minimal tire scufffing. Easier to get in and out of than tractor and has extra seat to carry your dog or helper. I hope the next revision will have 4 wheel lock and idle option similar to Kubota excavators to save fuel.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #7  
I still think they are a supersized UTV.

Yes they can accept some of the Bobcat attachments but like any do all machine the Toolcat isn't great at any. It is a Utility vehicle with more features then a standard UTV. Bobcat even list it in the same category as their smaller UTV (the 2000 series).

Referring to it as a UTV is not an insult.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #8  
Bear in mind a Toolcat only weighs around 5000 lbs. My 2003 model only weighs around 4500. It will pick up and move round bales of hay with the rear tires bouncing off the ground. The lift is sized appropriately if not slightly too strong when you consider the size of the unit. Pallets of sod are usually 2000 lbs. The Toolcat is rated for 2000 lbs to 4 feet (lift the pallet off a flatbed and lower it for transport).

The value of the Toolcat for me is the versatility and comfort. If you want to clear trees out of a fence line throw your saws and other tools in the back and put a grapple on the front. If you want to build fence load supplies and attachments on a trailer, put hand tools in the dump bed and two people can head out to build fence.

If they were priced more reasonable I think you would see a lot more of them around.

dsb

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #9  
Robert_in_NY said:
I still think they are a supersized UTV.

Yes they can accept some of the Bobcat attachments but like any do all machine the Toolcat isn't great at any. It is a Utility vehicle with more features then a standard UTV. Bobcat even list it in the same category as their smaller UTV (the 2000 series).

Referring to it as a UTV is not an insult.
I didn't interpret it as an insult and I agree with you on many points. Heck, I don't even have one - yet. I kind of view its UTV use as its more minor function for how I would be using one. It is kind of like comparing it to a Leatherman tool. It has a knife, wire cutter, pliers, screwdriver, corkscrew or whatever. The leatherman is very handy but usually not a good as a dedicated tool for a specific function.
I think it gets stuck in the utility category because of the dump box feature.

/ Got to try a toolcat... pretty cool! #10  
radman1 said:
I didn't interpret it as an insult and I agree with you on many points. Heck, I don't even have one - yet. I kind of view its UTV use as its more minor function for how I would be using one. It is kind of like comparing it to a Leatherman tool. It has a knife, wire cutter, pliers, screwdriver, corkscrew or whatever. The leatherman is very handy but usually not a good as a dedicated tool for a specific function.
I think it gets stuck in the utility category because of the dump box feature.

I think it gets stuck in the utility category because it is a true Utility vehicle, more so then the average UTV. Just like a letherman is a utilty tool so is the Toolcat. It can do a lot of things and as dsb said, if it was more reasonably priced there would be a lot more of them.

If you can get the Toolcat for $22-$25k then I feel a lot of people would pay the extra for it given the added utility features.