3 weeks on and my observations - oh and a hydraulics question

/ 3 weeks on and my observations - oh and a hydraulics question #1  

mouse

Bronze Member
Now had my toolcat for 3 weeks and must say I rather like it.

I wasn't too sure what to expect initially, it just looked kinda like a cool toy to have.

Sure it doesn't dig as well as a skidsteer, I assume that's something to do with either the lack of weight or the size of the tires fitted as mostly it just spins the wheels too easily - my solution is don't be greedy.

What it doesn't do is tear up all the turf round the place like a conventional skidsteer, whether in 2ws or 4ws.

It is far more useful for shuffling stuff any distance than a skidsteer, incldung carting round grandmothers who cannot work far easily. It is also handy for working with my 3 month old daughter safely ensconced in her car seat...

and its bloody hard to get my 14yo son out of which isn't such a bad thing - he's keen to build himself a motocross track

Mine is a C series - it lifts well, for example I picked up an old seasoned hardwood telegraph pole the other day without a drama - the pole is 40 foot long and about 17" in the but and 14" in the head. That induced lots of twist in the arm as I moved it around (and therefore possibly one of the limitiations of the arm design v conventional)

All in all a good unit and I'm really happy with it.

I want to fabricate myself a powered pto front end. (local agent quoted me 3k for rear hydraulics plus fitting and $3600 for the rear pto motor!!!!! - bugger that I think)

I have a Great Dane chariot mower in peices in the shed, one of a pair of non-goers I bought off fleabay and frankensteined to get one working.

A bit of digging around and it appears the specs for the wheel motors (Parker TF0240 series low speed high torque) look not too bad for a pto drive unit so I'm going to keep butchering and see if I can get build a pto drive unit.

I have a suspicion that these motors are also used as skidsteer wheel motors but am basically too lazy to investigate further.

To save you the bother Parker give these specs for the motor:
max speed 394 rpm
continuous/max oil flow 20/25 gpm
differential prssure cont/max 2000/3000 psi
max supply pressure 4250 psi
torque cont/intermittent 427/670 nm
max hp 37

a bit slow revving but I want mainly to use it to drive a 4' slasher or a spray unit and I figure the rpm is acceptable, especially as the spray unit I usually run at low tractor rpm anyway. I figure if it works then I'll try it with a neighbours 6' slasher. (3PL attachments here are much much cheaper than skidsteer ones)

Does anyone far wiser than me bout hydraulics have any issues with the motor specs and thus suitability to use on a toolcat?

/ 3 weeks on and my observations - oh and a hydraulics question #2  
Glad your C model seems to be working out for you. They are pretty unique in the industry.

Regarding a hydraulic PTO motor, most of the major mfgs (Char-Lynn, Danfoss, White, Parker-Ross and others) make models specifically for the purpose - 1 3/8" six-spline shaft and rated for the appropriate speed range with nominal 20 to 24 gpm flow (standard for a TC). I would check for local availability and pick the most suitable rather than try to adopt something that will not be quite right. The ones I am looking at right now will put out between 20 and 26 HP, which may still be a bit low for a "slasher" (brush cutter or "bush-hog" here in NA).

There may be others with higher output. Do you have a high-flow (27 gpm) machine?

Have just taken delivery of the Thomas front-mount spreader, but have not had a chance to use it yet. Will report when have some experience with it.

Post some pics of your set-up if you can.

Good Luck !

/ 3 weeks on and my observations - oh and a hydraulics question
it is not a hiflow version.

they also sell few hiflow skidsteers over here so i understand - mainly cause the fellas driving them tend to damage gear a tad too easily.

i appreciate what you mean bout the off the shelf items but it so happens this partiuclar motor is 'free'.

i was digging through a fair bit of parker but didn't find anything specifc for pto type setups - if you have a part number please advise?

re photos - little point in boring you with a std toolcat with std 4 in 1 bucket i'd hazard to guess... if i do anything 'unusual' i will post pics of that.