cold start for 5600 t toolcat

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #1  

dave o

My name is Dave and I just bought a new toolcat and having alot of problems starting her up in really cold weather(-25-40C).I also have a block heater.The only way to get my machine going at these cold temperatures is to bring it in the shop and warm up.One time I had it outside and realized that my machine's electrical outlet has ***** the bed.I then decided to get this machine tarped and run 165,000 BTU heater in there(it did the trick after 2 hours)So after all that is there a quick cure to get this started in the future a little easier?and please don't say wait until spring.

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #2  
Dave,

My experience without a block heater is from zero down the Toolcat barely starts and barely moves until it has run for a while. I ran mine yesterday for a while in 7F. Was pretty stiff for 15 minutes are so.

At the temps you are seeing I would recommend keeping in where it is heated.

dsb

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #3  
that is very cold for any dz engine. you need to make sure your block heater is working. besides changing oil viscosity i am not sure what else you can do.

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #4  
Try a KAT-- magnetic electric heater. I just bought one from Northern Tool in SC.

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #5  
I had trouble went the machine was new. Now that i have 1000 hours it seems to fire right up. This morning it was minus 20 degrees celcius plus windchill. It fired right up with no block heater. I do keep lots of anti gel in the fuel though.

When it is cold and i expect to be out, i plug it in for a few hours and keep the battery on a slow charge so it has lots of power to crank the engine.

Good luck
dylan

/ cold start for 5600 t toolcat #6  
Is your fuel adequately treated for the temperatures you are experiencing? If your fuel is ok then you need heat to reduce the viscosity of the oil--both in the engine and the hydro system using heaters for both to reduce the load on the starter when turning over the cold engine. Other possible issues include the glow plug circuit -- ensure they are working. Is your battery fully charged so that the starter turns the engine over at a reasonable rate?

As previously said diesel engines are difficult to start at the tempertures you are seeing so it may be that everything is "ok" and it still won't start at extremely cold temps.