Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe?

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #1  

bannersprings

I'm looking at a used Bob-Tach backhoe for my toolcat and am wondering anyone has used one of these and if it worked well or not. I plan on digging out a bunch of medium-sized pinion pine stumps with it to start.

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #3  
It is not approved because there is no way to fix the BH solidly to the frame. It would have to be use it attaced to the carrier attachment only. Probably too much stress for the design. You could probably get by if for limited use but at your own risk.

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #4  
radman1 said:
It is not approved because there is no way to fix the BH solidly to the frame. It would have to be use it attaced to the carrier attachment only. Probably too much stress for the design. You could probably get by if for limited use but at your own risk.

This was my concern as well. I have a small Kubota hoe (BX23) and even with its tiny hoe, the torque the frame receives is surprisingly large (IMO). Having some substantial outriggers would seem to help this situation. Quick-Attach's new hoes appear to have such "wide stance" outriggers but I have no personal experience with those hoes. They sure look spiffy, though.

The hydraulic and weight specs for those hoes look to be well within TC compatibility; however, the mechical stresses make me wonder about mechanical compatibility. Added to this is the TC's boom config as opposed to most skidsteers (JCB, I think, being the atypical SS config...which is more like a TC's). The TC's boom interface to its QA plate is sort of a single-point config which IMO is easier to "torque"/"tweak" than a typical SS's.

Of course, this is largely conjecture and I certainly wish you'd buy one and report back! ;)

Whatever you do...good luck with your equipment!

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #5  
i seem to remember reading in a an earlier thread/post that the backhoe needs 2 attachment points which is not achievable with the toolcat.

maybe a search will dig it up (so to speak...)

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe?
Thanks everyone for your responses. FWIW, my Bobcat dealer thought it would be no problem to use the Bob-Tach Backhoe on the Toolcat...

Will post review if I buy it.

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #7  
Something you might consider is what is called a "grubbing bucket" . These are made and sold by a number of third-party outfits and are usually a narrow V-shaped bucket designed to dig up stumps and big boulders by concentrating the available force on a small area.

They mount like regular buckets, but since they are centered, they would not subject a Toolcat's single arm to severe side or twisting loads.

I have seen them several places and heard from folks that have used them, but do not have them bookmarked.

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe?
Thanks Rip

i looked into the stump bucket and found one at Markham Welding for $374 plus $100 for shipping. seems like a great deal! planning on ordering one to dig pinion stumps out. should also be useful on the sagebrush trees we have...some 15 ft high with 12 inch diameter trunks.

/ Has anyone used a Bob-Tach Backhoe? #9  
Glad you found Markham Welding.....have only heard good things about them and their products.

The C and later T'Cats have quite a bit more break-out force then the earlier models, so should work out pretty well for you. 4-500 lbs of ballast in the back should get the most of available hyd power and help keep you firmly planted as well.

Good Luck