Toolcat 5610 delivered

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #1  

mdl6

Hi everyone,
I have been a lurker for years on the tractor and attachment threads, and have followed the Toolcat since the "A" came out.
I got my 5610 this weekend and used it for 3 hours today. Three weeks ago I ordered a 5600 as one dealer told me the 5610 was "a year away." The next day radman posted that the 5610 was available and I changed the order.

I am a homeowner in the midwest and cut about 6 acres of grass, 5 acres of field grass and have 5 acres of prairie grass thru Pheasants Forever. I have used a Kubota CUT w/ 38 horsepower and used a 72" RFM and 84" bush-hog on the tractor. Most of the grass is cut w/ a Toro 72" ZTR (by my kids). I have neck problems and wanted the implements out front. I also have a 72" aerator, 3 pt. sprayer and quick attach snow blade.

Today I used the Bobcat 90" mower on the front and aerated at the same time. It took longer w/ the aerator because I had to raise it for every turn but overall saved time. The Toolcat didn't flinch doing both tasks. The engine temp stayed low in 80 degree heat w/ the AC on.

The grass cut quality was good without scalping. The ride quality was very good. I got the wider turf tires. I enjoyed the relative quietness of the cab compared to my tractor.
The tractor hydrostatic forward/reverse pedal is an advantage compared to the stalk mounted shifter on the 5610. However, the 4-wheel steering is fantastic.
I plan to get some forks to help store stuff on pallet racking and to remove some some dead trees. I am thinking of the Carry-On hauler for the 3 pt hitch to take the place of the dump bed on the 5600.

A big thumbs up so far.

Mike

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #2  
congratulations on the new toy!

we needed a guinea pig :D

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #3  
Congrats and welcome.

Your comments regarding the hydro pedal sure hit home. For the first several months after I took delivery of my TC I kept trying to reverse my TC by pressing my heel down as I was used to on my Kubota. However, you'll eventually get used to flicking the shifter as second nature.

Nevertheless I still wish the TC had the hydrostatic fwd/rev "non-shifting" like my tractor.

Yep, the 4WS is cool. My TC tends to "crab" after running around for awhile in this mode and I have to "realign" it by switching into 2WS when the rear tires are indicated as straight and then switching back to 4WS when the front tires are indicated as straight. I think I may mention this the next time I have it serviced.

Please keep us informed.

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #4  
i posted a new topic on this.

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #5  
Oh my gosh! YOU bought one before me? After all my ranting and raving about the 5610 you went and did it. Congratulations. What did you think of the 3 pt in action? How did the PTO and rear hydraulics work for you?

I think the Carry hauler is a good alternative to the dump box. I did modify mine to work on my Spee Co quick hitch. Had to do a little welding and replaced the top pin attachment and made it higher. I cut the existing top mount off and welded on a 2"x3" angle iron and brought it farther farward so it is more in align the the top pins. The bottom pins are CAT I in width. I also put wheels on underneath the hauler to make it taller and easier to hook onto the 3 pt lift arms. I can also roll it around the shed. I have an extra, small 2.5x8" cylinder and will probably turn it into a hydraulic dump box. I want to be able to unhook it, load it and hook back on with the Speeco quick hitch. I think I can make it more useful than the 5600 dump box by making it detachable and then filling it. I will get a sheet of wood or steel for the botton and sides to enclose it.

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered
Radman,
The 3 pt worked fine, just like the Kubota CUT it replaces. When I lowered it without the aerator the on the lift arms stayed up. I though this was a malfunction but they went down with light pressure. This never happened on the Kubota. I liked the 3 pt. height indicator. I could angle the rearview mirror to check to make aerator was high enough to make a turn without having to turn my bad neck. Also I used the side mirrors to make sure the aerator wasn't going to hit the driveway or sprinkler heads, thus avoiding more head/neck turning.

I have not used the rear hydraulics as I don't have an implement that requires it. The hydraulic top link for the Carry-On hauler is a thought.

I don't have the skills, time, or inclination to modify the Carry-On hauler like you did. The idea of adding wheels is a great one. Can you post pictures? That sounds simple enough for me.

I did not have a great deal of reservation getting a new model as I might have. The 5600 is well established and the addition of the 3 pt. is something that has been an option as I understand on some previous units. Also, with the new Bobcat CUT's they have had some experience with 3 points.
Mike

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #7  
mdl6

With the Carry hauler, I will make a dedicated hydraulic cylinder for the dump bed. I don't think a hydraulic top link will work. However, the pivot point for the carry hauler is near the middle. If the back of the hauler is slightly loaded more than the front, it should be able to dump on its own when the front is released.

I have some pictures and will try to post them tomorrow of the hauler with the wheels.

Thanks for update on using the rear view mirror to see the attachments. I will probably order the 5610 tomorrow.

/ Toolcat 5610 delivered #8  
Mike,

There must be something to report.

jmf