Steering while stopped

/ Steering while stopped #1  

3Bladz

Silver Member
Tractor
a real 4320JD and a 3720JD 5610 Toolcat "Luigi"
Why cant I turn the wheel when Stopped? Like when I want to do a 3 point turn. The steering wheel will turn about a half turn then it seems to run out of hydraulics until I start to move again.

/ Steering while stopped
Is mine the only one that does this?

/ Steering while stopped #3  
No. Mine does it at least occasionally. I don't think it happens all the time but will pay more attention. I always assumed it was normal...

/ Steering while stopped #4  
When you are stopped, are the rpms reduced low or the same as when you start moving?
I know my Kama loves the rpm to get the power steering working good.

/ Steering while stopped #5  
No. Mine does it at least occasionally. I don't think it happens all the time but will pay more attention. I always assumed it was normal...

Update: My steering will allow for a small amount of movement while stopped (10-20 degrees of tire movement in the horizontal plane). RPM doesn't affect this. Even creeping will allow the steering to work.

/ Steering while stopped #6  
I haven't tried to turn the tires while completely stopped but at idle rpm and moving slowly, the steering is not great and very jerky as I turn the wheel, but more rpms seems to cure this.

DEWFPO

/ Steering while stopped #7  
My 'A' model steers easily when stopped. The only exception is when it is not warmed up. I backed it out of the shed this week when it was zero and steering was extremely slow. After idling for 20 minutes then running the blower for some time it was steering normal.

dsb

/ Steering while stopped #8  
Update: My steering will allow for a small amount of movement while stopped (10-20 degrees of tire movement in the horizontal plane). RPM doesn't affect this. Even creeping will allow the steering to work.

I just tried steering mine today. Mine is like yours. If stopped, the wheels will turn 15-20 degrees, despite the rpm. However, as soon as the TC starts to move, the wheels steer normally with full turns. Doesn't seem to affect how I use the TC, more of an interesting point.

I have a 5610 with 3 pt and power bobtach. I did notice today, if I lift the 3 pt and have the wedges on the power bobtach raised, the raising of the 3 pt lever also will also lower the wedges. Not a big deal but again, just a peculiar finding.

/ Steering while stopped
The wedges are supposed to always have pressure on them to hold them closed. It is funny that sometimes depending on what you are doing they will move more than others. As far as the steering, it is a pita when trying to position something with the forks and I need to turn the wheels from lock to lock to jocky into a tight spot.

/ Steering while stopped #10  
The brakes stay on until you depress the throttle pedal. It is a safety feature.