Dead ToolCat

/ Dead ToolCat #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
For no apparent reason, my 2003 toolcat is dead with ZERO electrical getting to the various systems.

The ToolCat has been used almost daily for several years, and this has never happened.

I will say the battery is almost new, and the battery charger indicated that the battery is fully charged. I also make sure everything is turned off prior to shutting down.

The only thing different is that we have had a record snowfall for December and very cold temperatures, and all of a sudden the temperature really rose to 40-45 degrees. Maybe some packed snow melted and shorted something out?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Dead ToolCat #2  
Probably already did this...but get it inside and defrosted. After it's defrosted, go over it with the proverbial fine toothed comb...maybe you can get at least enough power to check the diagnostic codes. At least it's not an intermittant problem. Mixed blessing, there.

Last edited:
   / Dead ToolCat
I have always kept the machine inside a metal shed, and it is now defrosting for the next day.

There is no electricity to make diagnostic codes - DEAD.

I am trying to find the service manual to see where the fuses are.

Regards,

Yooper Dave

/ Dead ToolCat #4  
I have always kept the machine inside a metal shed, and it is now defrosting for the next day.

There is no electricity to make diagnostic codes - DEAD.

I am trying to find the service manual to see where the fuses are.

Regards,

Yooper Dave

I think that's a good start. If the fuses are good, then check your power from the battery to the various components (ign. switch, ecu, etc...).

DEWFPO

/ Dead ToolCat #5  
Yooper Dave,

I been running my 'A' regularly too either blowing or pushing snow. Went to start it up a couple of days ago and it counted down from 20 to maybe 18 then the dash went dark. Now it's dead. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet but probably will tomorrow.

dsb

/ Dead ToolCat #6  
I remember reading somewhere in my manuals, about a main fuse for the TC. Maybe a 50-100 amp fuse near the battery if I remember correctly. Maybe it got wet.

/ Dead ToolCat #7  
I remember reading somewhere in my manuals, about a main fuse for the TC. Maybe a 50-100 amp fuse near the battery if I remember correctly. Maybe it got wet.

On the "D", there is a 100A master fuse. It doesn't look like a conventional fuse...it's a black plastic square with metal tabs on both ends. On my TC, it is located near the battery. The lettering on it says "MEGA" in large letters, and "LITTELFUSE" in smaller letters. It also has "100A" right underneath the "MEGA" label. It might be under a little black plastic housing. In the service manual there's a pic on pg. 60-10-6. ("D" service manual)

/ Dead ToolCat #8  
On the "D", there is a 100A master fuse. It doesn't look like a conventional fuse...it's a black plastic square with metal tabs on both ends. On my TC, it is located near the battery. The lettering on it says "MEGA" in large letters, and "LITTELFUSE" in smaller letters. It also has "100A" right underneath the "MEGA" label. It might be under a little black plastic housing. In the service manual there's a pic on pg. 60-10-6. ("D" service manual)

That's the one!

/ Dead ToolCat #10  
I took a look at my unit and determined the fuse (littelfuse mega 100) is blown. Will check around for one and post again once I have it replaced.

dsb

Last edited: