repair advice needed

/ repair advice needed #1  

jabbahop

Tractor
2007 Toolcat Turbo C series
was plowing the driveway this morning and near the bottom the toolcat C engine just started losing RPMs and stalled. Was able to start it up a couple of times it would run up the rpms for a couple of seconds and then would die again.

I have enough fuel (though low because I am on a downgrade) - I am wondering if it might be a fuel/filter problem. If so - where is it and can one clean it out?

thanks

/ repair advice needed #2  
On the "D" model the fuel filter is in the same compartment as the engine. Regardless of model, IIRC, the fuel filter has a drain on the bottom so that water can be drained. Or you can simply replace the filter. In either case, you'll have to use the "bulb pump" in the fuel line to refill the filter. It takes ALOT of squeezes and you need to have another valve downstream of the filter open to bleed air. On mine, that valve has a little round handle and you basically pump the bulb until you start getting fuel out the bleed valve. At that point should be able to close the bleed valve and get your TC running.

Are you getting any diagnostic codes on the display?

Might as well knock-off the potential "easy fixes" right off the bat. What you describe sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

/ repair advice needed #3  
For what it's worth it sure sounds like water in the fuel. I would start with the filter drain that Spudgunner mentioned. I keep extra filters in the TC's. For whatever reason, this last two seasons we have been battling a "water in fuel" issue. Unfortunately, we only have one source for diesel in our area. I keep threatening to buy my own above ground tank so I more control over the fuel and costs.

A couple of other suggestions; 1) This season we have been following a strict rule of "always top off tank at the end of the day/shift" which is helping by preventing condensation from forming in the tanks at night. 2) When you do use the filter drain don't let it run/drain for an extended period of time. This will prevent too much air from entering the filter via the drain. 3) If you do replace the filter, make sure you actually fill the new filter completely with diesel before you install it. For us, this has made it possible to restart the TC's without having to purge the system of air. 4) Lastly, we are "over treating" the fuel with addatives that supposedly remove any water.

From Spudgunners comments, it appears that those of you with C & D series have a much easier time getting at the filter. on my B series you have to get under the TC and remove the large skid plate to even get to the filter. Hope this helps!

Tim

/ repair advice needed
thanks guys. I was able to get it back up the hill under power and then found the fuel filter drain and drained it out for about 30 seconds. Couldn't tell if it was fuel or water/fuel that was draining. Does it actually go dry if I keep it open longer?

I don;t know if it is related but it seemed to stall when I i turned off the AC to clear the windows. I have also been getting a low-battery warning when I start - could this be related somehow to the battery/alternator or different issues.

Sorry for the dumb questions - not mechanically inclined.

/ repair advice needed #5  
The drain on the filter will not stop "draining", it will continue and eventually allow quite a bit of air into the system to the point that you will need to bleed the air to get it started.

As for the low battery warning, I have had this happen but only when the TC's have been parked for an extended period of time, or if you have been repeatedly trying to start the TC's after the filter change out.

I have not experienced any stalling while running the AC. Under a big load I have experienced a slight decrease in power when using the AC.

Tim

/ repair advice needed #6  
thanks guys. I was able to get it back up the hill under power and then found the fuel filter drain and drained it out for about 30 seconds. Couldn't tell if it was fuel or water/fuel that was draining. Does it actually go dry if I keep it open longer?

I don;t know if it is related but it seemed to stall when I i turned off the AC to clear the windows. I have also been getting a low-battery warning when I start - could this be related somehow to the battery/alternator or different issues.

Sorry for the dumb questions - not mechanically inclined.

There are no dumb questions in this context. If you can drain the fuel filter into a container you can examine what drained-out and see if there's a "bubble" of water under the diesel. This is easier if you're using dyed (off-road) diesel. I think you can completely empty the fuel filter by using the filter's valve but I don't know that for a fact. I'm just gauging that by the amount of fuel that I've drained from mine in the past.

If the battery is at all old, I'd see about swapping that out with a known-good battery and see what happens. Put a charger on the old battery and see how long it charges...if it takes a charge for a long time then it would seem there may be additional problems other than fuel delivery. Good luck to you.

/ repair advice needed #7  
@ Jabbahop,
If you stick your finger in the stream, water will ball up. Diesel will conform to your finger. If you see any globs or drips...that's water.

If the battery holds the fuel solenoid open to run, then yes, a bad battery or a bad electrical connection will make the engine die.