PTO snowblower

/ PTO snowblower #1  

3Bladz

Silver Member
Tractor
a real 4320JD and a 3720JD 5610 Toolcat "Luigi"
I hooked up my 74" pto driven snowblower today. The 5610 ran it better than I expected for the 25 hp rated pto. It seems like it powered it better than my JD 3720. It for sure ran a lot smoother. It is kinda hard to keep the pto speed at 580 and real easy to over speed it. I does stick way way back there - with a blade on the front, it would be longer than my superduty with plow.
I ran it along the street where the snow was windrowed so it was deeper and denser than the 4.5 inches of new snow we had yesterday. I also had a 6 foot high pile that I had pushed up with the truck and I snow blowed it to oblivian. That was pretty impressive, the snow was going up in the air twice as high as the powerlines, so prolly 25 feet high. I did have to pick it up about a foot to get enough traction to push through it as it was fairly set up.
I believe it would be more than adequate to handle a drifted driveway. It is definately slower than pushing though. I wouldn't try it for commercial use, but somebody not wanting to spend big bucks for a hyd front mount could definately get by.

/ PTO snowblower #2  
Thanks for the info. I also have a rear blower and 5610. Our snowfall has been minimal this year and not enough to even try the snow blower. I thought the 5610 did well with my 6' bush hog mower this fall mowing grass.
Like you said, need to watch the pto speed. Can go over 600 rpm if the engine revs too much. I ran the mower at about 520 rpm when mowing and it would go to about 560 rpm when not mowing.

Like you, I also have a JD 3720. Are we related? LOL

/ PTO snowblower
Not related, just good taste in equipment - haha.
I have to find a way to put a wiper on the back window, and maybe run a defrost hose back there. The way the door opens you have to get clear out and walk around to scrape it off, yuck, who wants to get out of that nice cab.