i need grapple bucket info

/ i need grapple bucket info #1  

JWB53

Bronze Member
Tractor
07 toolcat
i just bought 07 ( 150 hours) toolcat today, finally, i'm gettin 90 inch mowing deck , 72 inch tiller, i think i would like grapple bucket to move small fallen trees, trees limbs, carry camp fire wood etc. also will use to do little road work, not going to do serious logging, what do you all suggest thanks

/ i need grapple bucket info #2  

Attachments

• with-teeth.jpg
    with-teeth.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 317
  • SkidSteer-wide load.jpg
    SkidSteer-wide load.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 230
  • dumped.jpg
    dumped.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 548
   / i need grapple bucket info #3  
Bobcat does make a grapple that will bolt on to most of their buckets. That is probably the simplest solution.

I have a 72" construction grapple which works great for lots of tasks, especially concrete, rocks etc. It can also double as a dirt, sand or rock bucket in a pinch but can't hold as much as a bucket and the grapple gets in the way for some tasks and less visibility. However, they weigh up to 900-1000 lbs and heavy. Takes a lot of abuse to damage one. I use it mostly on my S300 skidsteer. New ones in the $3.5-4K range.

I also have a utility grapple which is much lighter in weight and works just fine for picking up brush, down trees, hay etc. I use it frequently for pick up cedar trees after I shear them on the TC or my JD 3720 CUT. I like it for the cedar trees and brush. The branches can get caught between the teeth. Easy to remove my just laying the tines on the ground, back up and they come off easily. Can be used to pick up large round hay bales. This is probably the cheapest option but would not recommend it for trying to dig roots or stumps out of the ground. The tines are fairly strong but if put all the lift on 1 or 2 tines, they can be bent. I have used my for 2 years with no bent tines. My brother used it for 20 minutes on the S300 and bent one tine on a stump. Idiot. Bent it back in a press. New around $2k or less. Weigh around 400 lbs for 72".

Root grapple is probably best choice for just just brush and tree work. Could do some rock, cement but not as HD and can't pick up the small stuff. Can sift the dirt out of the roots and can dig a little in the ground. They tend to have the largest grapple opening to get brush and trees in the grapple. Don't own one. I use the construction bucket or utility grapple because they fit my needs better. I would tend to favor the root grapple with more of a flat bottom with teeth since it could be used for other uses to carry stuff. The Westendorf style with the more vertical teeth and grapple seems limited for other uses and seems dedicated for just brush or trees.

/ i need grapple bucket info #4  
Here are a few more.

Attachments

• 81ec_1.jpg
    81ec_1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DD-GRP-60-2.jpg
    DD-GRP-60-2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 133
  • dg22317_grapple_r_1943_18_xl.jpg
    dg22317_grapple_r_1943_18_xl.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 314
   / i need grapple bucket info #5  
JJ

Nice pictures of the different styles. Do you have a picture of a utility grapple?

/ i need grapple bucket info #6  
JJ

Nice pictures of the different styles. Do you have a picture of a utility grapple?

How about these. There are lots of grapples on Ebay that you can add to your bucket.

Attachments

• DSCN9433Medium.jpg
    DSCN9433Medium.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 161
  • brush-clawLG.jpg
    brush-clawLG.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 155
  • fg2.jpg
    fg2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 22724IMG_3639.jpg
    22724IMG_3639.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 185
   / i need grapple bucket info #7  
If you're going to be doing a lot of tree handling, I'd consider a grapple that is not rigid across the top. Look for a grapple with Independent Teeth that can easily conform to a lop sided load. When you try to handle a load that is larger on one side than the other with a rigid utility grapple and a bucket, it want's to keep pushing the load away and rigid grapple will "twist" while you try to get a secure grip on the load. Plus you'll take half the topsoil with you to the burn pile. Using a utility grapple on a bucket for handling trees & brush is like trying to work while wearing mittens instead of gloves. Dropping the bucket and going to a pincher style attachment is like adding fingers to the end of your loader arms. It literally turns your loader into a big set of helping hands that conforms to many different types of loads.

http://www.loaders.com/userdocs/products/16_WindowsMedia_-_DSL.wmv
If you do this, make sure tires are filled... (ALL tires were flat when he got done:eek:) But he had fun doing it :D

Attachments

• BC-7000precision.jpg
    BC-7000precision.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 173
  • BC-7000lopsided.jpg
    BC-7000lopsided.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 139
  • BC-7000conforms.jpg
    BC-7000conforms.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 144
   / i need grapple bucket info #8  
I like that grapple, for several reasons. One thing, the cylinders are enclosed and protected without adding a lot of mass. The grapples are independent of each other. and the center part is removable. Any idea what they cost, and who makes them.

/ i need grapple bucket info #9  
Here are a couple pics of the Bobcat Utility Grapple. Like Radman1 said it is lighter use than others but also lighter weight to carry around. I get a lot of use out of mine and have never bent it but I know I could.

dsb

Attachments

• P1010141.JPG
    P1010141.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 176
  • P1010148.JPG
    P1010148.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 186
   / i need grapple bucket info #10