Toolcat for Pushing Snow

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #1  

hirschfm

New to the forum...I am considering the purchase of a toolcat 56xx for snow removal. Can someone tell me how much snow the broom can handle 6", 8" and still do a good job. What about the v plow is this a good choice for sidewalks considering getting the sander salter as well.

Thanks

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #2  
all depends on how heavy/wet the snow is. light snow here 6 inches. heavy 3-4inches. also need to slow down heavier the snow.

ts

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #3  
I only remove snow for my self. Bought a used CAT broom last year and used it on the TC. Deepest snow I tried was 5-6. Did a fanstastic job on cement. A blade still allows for faster travel when moving snow than a broom. However, the broom leaves almost nothing behind unless the snow is frozen or packed.

I had thought about getting a V blade but Bobcat dealer discouraged me from getting it. He asked me if my road was flat or crowned. He said with crowned roads it is difficult to get the V blade to clean well because of the crown. He said with the V and angled crown of the road it can't get the right geometry to work correctly. He said they are fine on flat surfaces.

I noticed you typed 56XX. Are you considering the 5610? I love using mine.

If you plan on using it a lot for snow consider getting standard truck tires with studs. Give great traction without creating much damage. I have not tried it but some guys on Plowsite have used them.

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #4  
I was planning on using mine also for snow. Not much here in Maryland. I was thinking a blade but maybe a broom would be better. Most of our snow is light. I looked at the posts where people are using LT tires and trailer wheels. I was thinking about doing the same. I have a good grade on my driveway in one spot. Maybe 12 percent but not too long. I am going to look at the finish mower also. I just got it last week. A rental unit with 88 hours on it. Love it so far.

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #5  
I was planning on using mine also for snow. Not much here in Maryland. I was thinking a blade but maybe a broom would be better. Most of our snow is light. I looked at the posts where people are using LT tires and trailer wheels. I was thinking about doing the same. I have a good grade on my driveway in one spot. Maybe 12 percent but not too long. I am going to look at the finish mower also. I just got it last week. A rental unit with 88 hours on it. Love it so far.

That might have been me that posted the info about using LT tires on trailer wheels as that's exactly what I do. I've done that for two years now and it continues to work well. In hindsight the only thing I might change would be to use 225x16LT tires (10 ply) instead of the 235x15LT's (6 ply)that I did use. IIRC, the diameter of the 225x16 tire is 29.5"...at least according to Tirerack.com. You can get 16" trailer wheels with the appropriate bolt pattern (6 on 5.5). Also...I use tire chains all winter...once they go on I do not take them off 'til snow season is over.

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #6  
That might have been me that posted the info about using LT tires on trailer wheels as that's exactly what I do. I've done that for two years now and it continues to work well. In hindsight the only thing I might change would be to use 225x16LT tires (10 ply) instead of the 235x15LT's (6 ply)that I did use. IIRC, the diameter of the 225x16 tire is 29.5"...at least according to Tirerack.com. You can get 16" trailer wheels with the appropriate bolt pattern (6 on 5.5). Also...I use tire chains all winter...once they go on I do not take them off 'til snow season is over.

Spudgunner.
It was your post I was looking at for truck tires. I was going to look into the 225/75-16 I don't want to use chains. we will only get snow 4 or 5 times all winter. Maybe 2 inches at a time. 6 inches tops. I need traction without chains. Maybe I need 4 snow tires?

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #7  
Spudgunner.
It was your post I was looking at for truck tires. I was going to look into the 225/75-16 I don't want to use chains. we will only get snow 4 or 5 times all winter. Maybe 2 inches at a time. 6 inches tops. I need traction without chains. Maybe I need 4 snow tires?

For the small amout of snow removal, I would just stay with the tires that are already on your TC. They will do just fine. I get more and deeper snow than that and use the standard R4 tires. It is not worth the cost or time to change to different tires.

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #8  
Spudgunner.

For the small amout of snow removal, I would just stay with the tires that are already on your TC. They will do just fine. I get more and deeper snow than that and use the standard R4 tires. It is not worth the cost or time to change to different tires.
Spudgunner pushes snow for a living and it is vastly different compared to you and me. Most of my snows are 3-5 inches. Rarely 12". Some drifts can get 2-3 feet and my tires are just fine.

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #9  
If your plowing on relatively flat ground and the snow isn't very deep, the stock tires will do just fine. Once you get on steep slopes the TC needs chains.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat for Pushing Snow #10  
I get lots of snow every year.

I have a 7.5' BOSS snow plow and I use the stock tires with no chains.

It can be challenging due to all the hills if conditions are also icy.

I have been stuck a few times... The neighbor with the big 200+ hp 4x4 tractor pulls me right out if I do not give the hills enough respect.

Yooper Dave