Traction Expectations

/ Traction Expectations #1  

Toolcatnewbie

My Toolcat doesn't meet my expectations regarding traction. Would you review the video clip on Youtube at the link below and tell me if this is the way
your Toolcat performs?

Thanks in advance.

YouTube - Toolcat Gets Stuck Again

(if this link doesn't work, just search for "Toolcat gets stuck again" on YouTube

ps: This is a "D" series machine. The "D" series has a new drive system. Earlier models may have better or different performance than the video indicates. I'm most interested in hearing from you fellow "D" series owners about whether your 2008 "D" series Toolcat performs like this video.

/ Traction Expectations #3  
I have to say your video is surprising. According to Bobcat;

"The new D-Series 5600 also features a full-time four-wheel drive system designed with an emphasis on performance while offering operation for a variety of conditions. Exclusive limited slip differentials constantly monitor tractive effort, delivering torque to all four wheels while automatically managing distribution of that power to respond to the ground conditions. Whether you need to power through mud and snow, maintain traction to minimize turf damage or travel an uphill trail, the machine will automatically sense where traction can be obtained and transfer power there.

After reading that, I am going to assume it doesn't have a diff lock. If this is the case, Bobcat needs to sort out their "limited slip differentials"....I would not be happy, I can tell you that!

Last edited:
   / Traction Expectations
The "D" series doesn't have a differential lock like earlier models did. The "D" series has a new type of drive system which is "tuned" by the manufacturer that Bobcat uses.

I've been told by the factory that this (see video) is the way it was designed and the way it should work.

Does anyone have a "D" series that performs like mine (poor traction) or performs like you would expect from a 4 wheel drive type system?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

/ Traction Expectations #5  
I have a "D". I suggest you make sure you're not in 4-wheel steer and try the same experiment again. The tires may be part of the problem. I hate those stock R4's or whatever they are. Ballast would probably help as would a bucket of material. Unloaded, I find that my TC tends to "float" and slip. Your scenario is nevertheless surprising. I wish I could bring my TC over and try the exact same thing to see what the story is.

/ Traction Expectations
Thanks Spudgunner, I wish you could bring yours over too!

The machine in the video is in two wheel steer. I had another owner, who operates in snow/ice tell me the same thing. This individual said when in all wheel steer he'll slip; he puts it in 2 wheel steer and it'll go anywhere.

So I figured that whatever sensor tells the drive system whether you are 2 wheel versus all wheel steer was defective, thereby the machine always thinks it is in 4 wheel steer from a traction standpoint. This also makes sense because another feature of the "D" series is its minimum truff damage.

So I called the factory again; the answer- "no sensor, your machine is fine, leave me alone."

One other example of the problem. As a test, the dealer put the machine 1" in front of a fixed object (bollard). He then jacked the machine up so that 2 wheels on the same side were off the ground. He then put it in forward and tried to drive forward. The test was on flat concrete. The machine didn't move. The factory said all was OK, this was how it was designed.

/ Traction Expectations #7  
Did you check to see if your machine is "throwing" any codes? My experience is that the on-board computer polls the sensors frequently and will complain if communications is lost with them. IIRC that little card on the end of the little cable in the cab will tell you how to get the codes. There's also info on this forum on how to do that.

/ Traction Expectations
The dealer checked and he said no codes

/ Traction Expectations #9  
Mine will spin all 4 tires in 2 wheel steer mode on snow or ice.

I find the stock tires are fine in high traction surfaces and embarrassing on low traction surfaces. The AG tires on my tractor had much better traction with 3 wheel drive. I'm going to have to put chains on it this winter to plow or blow snow. Last year I actually got stuck a few times and lost traction far too many times (lots of off camber and steep slope conditions).

DEWFPO