4 Wheel steering issues

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #21  
Steering valves and cylinders on F,D, & G on both 5600 & 5610 is the same.

The first 4 digits of the serial number will tell what series it is.
5600:
5205 = A series
4247 or 4248 = B series
A002 or A003 - C series
A0W1 = D series
A94Y = F series
AHG8 = G series

5610:
A7Y7 = D series
APFB = F series
B2LH - G series

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #22  
I have solved this issue on my 5600D series.

I would drive for a couple minutes in all wheel steering mode and the alignment would be all out of whack.

I spent a ton of time testing and trouble shooting various parts of my machine to solve this problem, and finally I have fixed it.

At first I figured it was a faulty steering position sensor, so I replaced the sensor on each cylinder. No luck.

Then I tested both cylinders and found that the front cylinder was bleeding through a bit. So I went through a painful process to remove the front cylinder and rebuild it ( I put a video on youtube of easiest way to remove front cylinder) After rebuilding front cylinder, no luck, same problem.

Thats when I decided to pressure test everything in the system with an in line hydraulic pressure gauge. I tested each port going into the steering cylinders. Two front ports tested at 1400 psi. Then when I tested the back cylinder ports, found that one port was getting 1400 psi and the other port was deadheading at less than 500 psi.

This was my big aha moment. So in the back middle of the machine under the dump bed, there is a steering selector valve block. It has two valves on the outsides of the block and a pressure relief valve in the middle of the block. It also has 3 steering solanoids attached to it powed by 12 volt green and black wires. When in two wheel steer mode the fluid flows to this valve and then is directly diverted back to tank. When in 4 wheel steering mode, the valve block is actuated electrically/magnetically to move fluid to the back steering cylinder when you turn.

Because my unit deadheaded on one side of the cylinder at less than 500 psi, i figured that my pressure relief valve was jacked up. I noticed that when i unplugged the electrical plug to the relief valve, i got full psi on both side of cylinder. In the interest of saving money i was planning on replacing just the relief valve. When I called bobcat I found that to buy just the relief valve was like $350, and to replace the entire valve block with all new valves, solanoids, and a new block was only $497. Since i was not 100 % sure that it was just the relief valve, I decided to replace the entire assembly for only $150 additional cost. Boy was I glad I ordered the whole kit and caboodle. After swapping out the steering selector valve assembly, I inspected the aluminum block visually and noticed that the inside of that block was trashed. Warn down metal, and some small chunks broken off completely.

That beng said, with the new valve block in, the steering stays in line very nicely and that annoying problem is gone. Thank god.

Having gone through and spent a ton of time learning about this steering system on the toolcat, i would be happy to answer any questions if i am able to help in any way, or provide part numbers of what i replaced. Hope this is helpful to somebody as I know how frustrating this machine can be.

-Sam

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #23  
Thanks for taking the time to document your findings and offering to help, we all appreciate it here.

DEWFPO

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #25  
No problem! Glad you guys found the information to be helpful!

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #26  
Trichener37 thanks for all your information on this subject. I need help with a part number for the steering selector valve I am having 4 wheel steering isssus. My Toolcat is a D series 2010 5600. As soon as I turn the wheels in 4 wheel steer its completely out of wack. It always went out of alignment just little. I was plowing snow the other night and now its bad where I can't use 4 wheel steer not even make 2 turns. Im hoping this part will solve my issue because I have had in the dealer to stop the alignment issue when it wasn't bad and they never came up with a solution. Is the part difficult to install? Thank you

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #27  
Kurtis22.... No problem, when I go into the shop tomorrow I will get the part numbers for you. Replacing the steering selector valve is a very straight forward, one person job. I get the feeling you are the kind of guy that could handle the job. I will provide much more information in my next post tomorrow!

Sam

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #28  
Kurtis22.... No problem, when I go into the shop tomorrow I will get the part numbers for you. Replacing the steering selector valve is a very straight forward, one person job. I get the feeling you are the kind of guy that could handle the job. I will provide much more information in my next post tomorrow!

Sam

Thanks Sam! Im heading to Bobcat around 10am central time to get the part. I will try to take some photos and put online as i try to install it.

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #29  
Big Thanks to Sam Titchener37......I installed the steering selector valve block part #6685112 for 2010 5600 D Series and FIXED my steering issue. Test drove it hard and steering didn't seem to get out of alignment at all. The part was pretty easy to install except the 2 mounting bolts that go through the frame. Rusty as **** since my machine sees salt on the roads in Minnesota. Mounting bolts- 3 inch 1.0 m8 I believe 13 mil wrench size NOT 1/2 size Inch wrench because they were metric on my machine. Having a extra set of hands makes this job pretty painless. Just remember to mark you 3 electrical connectors and 4 hydraulic lines with tape or something and number them so you don't forget where they go. I took pictures of the old valve block so you can point your fittings so they line back with the hoses because you have to SWAP the fittings on to the new valve block and some of them are angled to get 4 hoses BACK ON. Jacking up the BACK of the Toolcat helps getting someone to hold the nut end helps. Only thing I would of maybe done different is maybe turn the drivers side rear wheel "front of the tire out" to maybe get an impact on those 13 mil nuts BEFORE unhooking the steering hydro lines. Then you might not need to jack it up if you turn the wheel. The mounting bolts were rusted bad and we broke one off in the process. The hardware store did not have 3 inch 1.0 M8 so I used 3 inch 5/16 flanged bolts and they worked. DONT FORGET TO PUT SAFETY LOCK ON DUMP BOX SO IT DOES NOT CRUSH YOU. I DIDN'T THINK OF THIS UNTIL HALF WAY THROUGH THE INSTALL. Kinda scary when my employee was unhooking hydro lines.

/ 4 Wheel steering issues #30  
Thanks for the update with explanation. :drink: