Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
About 6 months ago I changed the boom and tilt cylinder on my 5610 D series TC. I wanted a little more lift and changed the boom cylinder. Then found out I needed more umph on the tilt cylinder to match. I made the mods over a 2 week period. The TC cylinders are 2.5" bores with 1.5" rod diameter. The stroke of the lift cylinder is 22.89" and the tilt has a stroke of 16.34". I went with 3" cylinders with 1.75" rods rated at 3000 psi. The TC has odd length cylinders and I purchased 2 cylinders from Surplus Center and had a local hydraulic shop modify both cylinders. Total cost for cylinders and mods was about $950. The tilt cylinder required more work than the other. They shortened the barrels, machined and welded on new ends. Both matched up perfectly. The new cylinders are painted bobcat charcoal and look like the originals. I almost made an error. I didn't realize how close the lift cylinder came near the front transmission housing. It just touched the housing when in partial lift. I ground down 1/8" on the housing to give it plenty of clearance. I had some info that when the system was designed on the D series, they believed the suspension and drive shafts were designed over what was needed.

Based on my calculations, if the TC could do max lift of 2000 lbs before, it should be close to 3000 lbs now. I don't do a lot of heavy lifting very often. But some seed pallets weigh 2500 lbs and I can lift them. I lifted some cement bunker blocks this summer with a chain on my pallet forks. The chain was near the end of my forks and each block weighed 2300 lbs. Even with these lifts, the back end stays on the ground. I did try once lifting a load of construction lumber and it would not lift it. The rear wheels stayed barely on the ground without any rear attachment. The heavier lifts tend to be only for short distances over smooth terrain. I also try to do heavier lifts with a fairly heavy attachment on the rear end to counteract the additional weight on the front suspension. I believe with a 1000 lb attachment on the rear, there is probably no more or maybe less weight on the front suspension than before the mods with heavy lift.

The drift in both front cylinders is essentially zero. I did have some issues with my original tilt cylinder tipping down with heavy loads on the bobtach. I had a valve replaced under warranty which helped a lot but didn't completely eliminate the problem. With the new mods, it is almost rock solid. I suspect this is because the larger cylinder holds more oil, and there is less back pressure on the valve due to larger bore. The cycle times of both cylinders is slower but not a huge issue. I always considered the original cycle times were a little faster than I usually wanted. Now I feel they are a bit slower than ideal.

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #2  
So all you did to the hydraulics was to replace the cylinders with larger units (more volume) and now your not experiencing the drift in the tilt cylinder?

I've had allot of work done on mine under warranty to address this issue and nothing stock has solved it.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods
So all you did to the hydraulics was to replace the cylinders with larger units (more volume) and now your not experiencing the drift in the tilt cylinder?

I've had allot of work done on mine under warranty to address this issue and nothing stock has solved it.

DEWFPO

The lift cylinder was always very good and it could hold a significant load well. The tilt cylinder always had a little drift down when I bought the TC. It got much worse and initially the dealer said it was "acceptable." I have a sweeper (which sits far out front) and told him it would drop about 4" in a minute. How can you run a sweeper like that? He agreed and checked the cylinder which was ok. Then changed out the tilt valve. It was then again back to original with just mild drift. Now with the bigger cylinder it is now 50% better than it ever was. Now it has very minimal, and IMO, very acceptable drift.
Also remember the back pressure on the valve is probably decreased 1/3 due to the larger diameter of the cylinder. Less pressure on the valve, less leak of oil internally through the valve. This is aided by the larger volume of oil now in the cylinder which requires more oil to leak by the valve to move the cylinder rod. Thus any leak is not very noticeable.

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #4  
radman1,

Comparing the two cylinders, at 3000 psi.

2.5---1.5 in shaft---= 14,726 lbs extend
--------------------= 9,425 lbs retract

3-----1.75----------= 21,206 lbs extend
--------------------= 13,990 lbs retract

These figures are for a straight push. If pushing or pulling at any angle other than 90 degrees, the figures will decrease.

I believe. that if the cylinders are real tight, any drift caused by the valves can be helped or solved by pilot operated load check valves.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009121313334331&item=9-5606-50&catname=hydraulic

radman1,

I believe. that if the cylinders are real tight, any drift caused by the valves can be helped or solved by pilot operated load check valves.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009121313334331&item=9-5606-50&catname=hydraulic

I tried a Vickers double piloted check valve. It did not work. There was a chatter and pulsation of the cylinder when tipping the bucket down. My guess is the weight of the bucket creates enough negative pressue in the valve that caused it to pulsate and chatter. Had to take it off.

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #6  
Excellent info on the cylinders. I have been using forks during the summer and have lifted pallets of stone weighing 3,000 lb with the stock cylinders. What I found was that this was too much for the bolts that hold the front axle to the ToolCat frame. Eventually, 7 out of the eight bolts broke. Upgrade to a larger bolt size and stop lifting so much weight is my motto now.

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #7  
I tried a Vickers double piloted check valve. It did not work. There was a chatter and pulsation of the cylinder when tipping the bucket down. My guess is the weight of the bucket creates enough negative pressue in the valve that caused it to pulsate and chatter. Had to take it off.

My view on the chatter is this. It takes about 600 psi to raise the check ball off the seat of the pilot operated check valve, and if you may have a back pressure from the bucket of about 600 psi, keeping the ball in the seat. The two sources will work against each other until the valve pressure over rides the bucket back pressure. To reduce chatter, I would activate the valve fast enough to over ride the bucket force. I believe if you do it slow, it will chatter. I believe this kind of valve is required on some equipment, for safety reasons.

/ Toolcat hydraulic cylinder mods #8  
I know very little about hydraulics but the description of the valve in the link above states : "Pilot-operated lock valves may chatter when used in cylinder circuits with heavy loads. A restricting orifice can be plumbed into the hydraulic line to reduce this problem."

It doesn't say what sized orifice you would need to accomplish this but it might reduce or eliminate the chatter.

DEWFPO

My view on the chatter is this. It takes about 600 psi to raise the check ball off the seat of the pilot operated check valve, and if you may have a back pressure from the bucket of about 600 psi, keeping the ball in the seat. The two sources will work against each other until the valve pressure over rides the bucket back pressure. To reduce chatter, I would activate the valve fast enough to over ride the bucket force. I believe if you do it slow, it will chatter. I believe this kind of valve is required on some equipment, for safety reasons.

I tried moving the valve fast and slow. It didn't seem to make a difference. I only tried it with an empty bucket. I was afraid a load in the bucket would make it worse. If I could find a way to make it work, I would do it. The flow to the cylinder is not that great. I would guess 5-7 gpm. Any other suggestions?

I know very little about hydraulics but the description of the valve in the link above states : "Pilot-operated lock valves may chatter when used in cylinder circuits with heavy loads. A restricting orifice can be plumbed into the hydraulic line to reduce this problem."

It doesn't say what sized orifice you would need to accomplish this but it might reduce or eliminate the chatter.

DEWFPO

Now you got me thinking. Maybe that is an idea. I do have some restrictors. The key would be creating enough back pressure but not too much to slow the speed of the cylinder.