Toolcat Series?

/ Toolcat Series? #1  

147Lake

Tractor
John Deere 855/Toolcat 5600
Hi folks,

I've been reading this forum for about a year preparing to buy a Toolcat and you've been a great help. One question I can't seem to nail down: is there a source that shows the differences between series (A, B,...etc)? Some units are showing year and some options while others show series. If I missed a thread, I'd appreciate a point in the right direction and accept my apologies.

Major use will be to blow snow. Driveway is gravel about a quarter mile long with about 30 foot elevation change. We average 200" of snow a year :D. If my wife lets me retire in a few years, would use it to hire out to clear snow. Otherwise, about 2 acres to mow and 6 wooded, so the usual work there. Rest is hay and a neighbor gets that.

Thanks in advance!

/ Toolcat Series? #2  
Sorry, 147Lake, I remember someone posting in detail the visual differences between the series but I haven't been able to find the thread by searching the Toolcat forum.

I can tell you that the A and B series have a single, box like boom, while the C and D series have a double boom. If you're close enough to one, the fuel cap on the C series in on the passenger side and on the D series it's on the driver's side.

/ Toolcat Series? #3  
My understanding is that "D" production started in 2007 and the serial #'s start with A0W. The "D"'s also have independent suspension on all four corners. My dealer tells me that "D"'s are also unique in having an armrest/dump bed interlock which keeps the dump bed lever from working should the armrest be in the upright position. (It's not hard to circumvent this damnable "feature", BTW.)

/ Toolcat Series? #4  
I have a late 2006 5600T high-flow ToolCat, which from your posts must be a C series. I have used the 2006 for the last three and one half years with great success. I am purchasing a new ToolCat and was quite surprised at the differences between the new and the old. My "old" Toolcat has soild axles, coil springs in front, leaf springs in the rear, ladder frame, and has no problem blowing deep snow without any weight added to the dump bed. In the summer, I use forks to lift up to 3,000 lbs without weight in the dump bed. Only problem I have had is that when I over lifted, I broke the bolts holding the front axle to the frame once. Since then, I upgraded the bolts. So my concern is after reading posts of not being able to blow snow without weight in the rear or not being able to blow heavy wet snow; is this a concern that is new for the new D series since it has a spline frame with independent suspension? Is the new ToolCat too light in the suspension? Has anyone driven both the C and D series enough to compare? Should I stick with the trusty C series and purchase one used instead?

/ Toolcat Series? #5  
I have a late 2006 5600T high-flow ToolCat, which from your posts must be a C series. I have used the 2006 for the last three and one half years with great success. I am purchasing a new ToolCat and was quite surprised at the differences between the new and the old. My "old" Toolcat has soild axles, coil springs in front, leaf springs in the rear, ladder frame, and has no problem blowing deep snow without any weight added to the dump bed. In the summer, I use forks to lift up to 3,000 lbs without weight in the dump bed. Only problem I have had is that when I over lifted, I broke the bolts holding the front axle to the frame once. Since then, I upgraded the bolts. So my concern is after reading posts of not being able to blow snow without weight in the rear or not being able to blow heavy wet snow; is this a concern that is new for the new D series since it has a spline frame with independent suspension? Is the new ToolCat too light in the suspension? Has anyone driven both the C and D series enough to compare? Should I stick with the trusty C series and purchase one used instead?
I believe the D series is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the earlier models. Some owners desired more wt in the bed for snow removal. They were looking for more traction, not because the C or earlier models had an advantage. The D suspension is a vast improvement in comfort and the independant suspension gives better traction on uneven ground. The 4wd traction is also better in the D series, the transmission is different and the D series has hp management for the tough work. I know of no advantages the earlier series have over the D series. The D series has a spine frame. Basically it is a rigid, square/retangular metal box that houses, the transmissions, valves, lines, ect from the front to the back. It is more rigid and durable than the typical car frame-type design of the earlier series.
The boom and lift of the C and D series are the same. I added bigger tilt and lift cylinders to my D. So far, so good but that is a risk I am taking. I balance the extra wt on heavy lifts with a good heavy blade or attachment on the rear 3 pt.
I have the TC 5610 with 3pt, 2 rear hydraulic outlets (I modified mine to 3 outlets) and rear pto. It rocks. I made a portable carrier for the rear and can even haul dirt on the 3 pt.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/128602-carry-hauler-modification.html

/ Toolcat Series? #6  

I add weight to the back of my D series when snowblowing because my driveway is a 12% ice covered, north facing driveway and the SB200 weights 843 lbs. If I was blowing on flat or gently sloping ground I probably wouldn't add any weight. I blew all last winter without any ballast but traction was an issue. All 4 wheels spinning but gravity always wins.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat Series? #7  
We have a 5600 Series which we purchased new one year ago. We are currently plowing snow with it and have a 10' Daniels Wing Plow on it. We have other plows and a snowblower available for it as well. We really like what it can do for us. We put about a 250# block of concrete in the back and boxed it in so it does not move around. This is a very efficient piece of equipment for us. Traction has not been an issue and we have plowed some real garbage this season.

Herm Witte

/ Toolcat Series? #8  
I have a late 2003 - Model A

A few differences I noticed with the newer model:

1. Fuel tank size about doubled.
2. The cab sits quite a bit higher - harder to get in to and out of without running boards.
3. I could be wrong - but the wheels seem larger in diameter
4. Price tag went up significantly

There are many more differences, but this is what I can remember.

Yooper Dave

/ Toolcat Series? #9  
trust me on this one we have two tool cats at work a 2006 and a 2008 mine is the 2008 and it looks exactly the same but is completely different! The new model is waaaayyy beter in almost every way suspesion is the biggest difference. A way better ride it doesnt kill your back! Plus the throttle response is much better on the newer one than the 2006. We bought them both brand new fom bobcat dealer. One thing is forsure they are by FAR the best snow equipent i have ever used!!

/ Toolcat Series? #10  
Decided to add to this old thread, since old threads show up on the searches for new information.

Bobcat Historical Specifications - Bobcat Company Click on "Toolcat Utility Work Machines"

Bobcat History.PNG