Snowblower edge

/ Snowblower edge #1  

Mtngrancher

Tractor
Bobcat 5600D '07
Need some advice from the snowblower users. I would like to replace my steel edge with something else to protect some patterned concrete on my property. I have the SB240, and it does a terrific job. I never use my 84" plow because the blower is so fast and precludes the need of ever doing push backs. I have about 800' of drive I've been blowing. 80' of it near the house and barn is patterned concrete, which has some funky angles in it to channel water into a dry creek that separate the barn and house. The sharp edge of the blower blade has made a few gouges in the concrete early on. I've been leaving an inch or two of snow in the meantime.

I've looked at the poly and rubber plow edges that are common on plows for the blower, but the thickness will require me to have only bolts holding the edge to the machine, if it fits at all. Has anyone made this mod?

I've seen Rip's post on the round bar, which seems like a good alternative if I can't make the softer edges work.

Cheers and Happy New Year, Mtngrancher

/ Snowblower edge #2  
Both of my blowers are from QuickAttach, but I believe are quite similar to the recent BobCat blowers. QA offers a Poly scraper edge as a factory option. You might check your clearance and give those folks a call to see if they would fit your blower.

My rubber Western snowplow edge is pretty thick, but Poly edges are thinner I think and should protect your pavers. You may still get gouges or scrapes from the skids on each side however, unless you figure a way to modify them as well. May be able to replace the steel skids with a solid (or built-up) block of Polyurathene to serve the same function.

Good Luck, Rip

/ Snowblower edge #3  
Have you seen the posts on the site where they cut a slit in a piece of 2"-2.5" abs pipe and fit it over the cutting edge of your blower? I done this with mine so I can use it on my gravel driveway before it is frozen hard to reduse the pickup of stones.

/ Snowblower edge #4  
Can you attach a used piece of machine belt to the bottom..I did this with my plow and it insulates the metal from the concrete and or gravel. Leaves a clean surface as well.

/ Snowblower edge #5  
bobcat now offers poly edges for their blowers.

/ Snowblower edge #6  
bobcat now offers poly edges for their blowers.

I used a poly edge on my blade...As long as the surface is smooth they are outstanding...if you hit gravel...It ends up destroyed...Just my experience.

/ Snowblower edge #7  
I tried thin plastic, wore out in 5 minutes on aggregate drive and poly was too thick. Ended up putting HEAVY casters on the rear of the blower. now I float the blower and tilt it back on the casters till the blade is either off or barely touching. Works for me.