Tractor
    Bobcat 5600D '07

Default Snowblower edge

Need some advice from the snowblower users. I would like to replace my steel edge with something else to protect some patterned concrete on my property. I have the SB240, and it does a terrific job. I never use my 84" plow because the blower is so fast and precludes the need of ever doing push backs. I have about 800' of drive I've been blowing. 80' of it near the house and barn is patterned concrete, which has some funky angles in it to channel water into a dry creek that separate the barn and house. The sharp edge of the blower blade has made a few gouges in the concrete early on. I've been leaving an inch or two of snow in the meantime.

I've looked at the poly and rubber plow edges that are common on plows for the blower, but the thickness will require me to have only bolts holding the edge to the machine, if it fits at all. Has anyone made this mod?

I've seen Rip's post on the round bar, which seems like a good alternative if I can't make the softer edges work.

Cheers and Happy New Year, Mtngrancher

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F-2880

Default Re: Snowblower edge

Both of my blowers are from QuickAttach, but I believe are quite similar to the recent BobCat blowers. QA offers a Poly scraper edge as a factory option. You might check your clearance and give those folks a call to see if they would fit your blower.

My rubber Western snowplow edge is pretty thick, but Poly edges are thinner I think and should protect your pavers. You may still get gouges or scrapes from the skids on each side however, unless you figure a way to modify them as well. May be able to replace the steel skids with a solid (or built-up) block of Polyurathene to serve the same function.

Good Luck, Rip
    Kubota F2880 w/60" Front Mower

Tractor
    Kubota B7510

Have you seen the posts on the site where they cut a slit in a piece of 2"-2.5" abs pipe and fit it over the cutting edge of your blower? I done this with mine so I can use it on my gravel driveway before it is frozen hard to reduse the pickup of stones.
    Kubota B7510 HST, LA302 FEL, B2781 PTO snow blower, box blade, woods bh-6000 backhoe, a horse, a dog, an old chicken and 7.35 acres of rocks rocks and more rocks.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Can you attach a used piece of machine belt to the bottom..I did this with my plow and it insulates the metal from the concrete and or gravel. Leaves a clean surface as well.
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow
    Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2910

bobcat now offers poly edges for their blowers.
    toys....
    kubota B2910 with cab N heat
    Bobcat S205 hiflow cab heat n AC!
    Bobcat Toolcat 5600 can heat n AC!
    JCB 214S cab N heat
    a couple of trucks N'
    Lots of attachements to play with!

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by salopez View Post
    bobcat now offers poly edges for their blowers.
    I used a poly edge on my blade...As long as the surface is smooth they are outstanding...if you hit gravel...It ends up destroyed...Just my experience.
    BX23TLB with 54" MMM
    RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow
    Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring

I tried thin plastic, wore out in 5 minutes on aggregate drive and poly was too thick. Ended up putting HEAVY casters on the rear of the blower. now I float the blower and tilt it back on the casters till the blade is either off or barely touching. Works for me.