B series steering cylinder leaking

/ B series steering cylinder leaking #1  

yellowdogsvc

Veteran Member
Anyone have an issue with front steering cylinder leaking from inside the housing? The cylinder doesn't seem to be leaking from the ram or wiper seal but rather from inside the housing that slides through the front differential housing. I checked the service manual and the repair looks straight forward but time consuming. Anyone have any experience with this? After I removed the front brush guard I could see where it was leaking on the cylinder housing. The pic isn't great but the arrows show where leak is coming out from around where the cylinder goes through the differential housing. Supposedly there are two to four o rings in there.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• steering cylinderjpg.jpg
    steering cylinderjpg.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 649
   / B series steering cylinder leaking #2  
Yellowdog,

One of my B series is also experiencing a very slight leak that I suspect is in the same location. From what little information I have been able to gather, it requires the removal of the axle. If memory serves me, I believe the dealer told me it was (based on their 'book') a 6 hour job. Once the season is over I will be tearing into it. While you are in the 'neighborhood' you might also check your tie rods. I had to replace one just prior to the season starting. That unit was throwing intermittent 'error codes' indicating the wheel sensors. The 'codes' stop immediately after the tie rod replacement. I'm wondering if running tires chains played a role in the leak and the tie rod...?

/ B series steering cylinder leaking
Yellowdog,

One of my B series is also experiencing a very slight leak that I suspect is in the same location. From what little information I have been able to gather, it requires the removal of the axle. If memory serves me, I believe the dealer told me it was (based on their 'book') a 6 hour job. Once the season is over I will be tearing into it. While you are in the 'neighborhood' you might also check your tie rods. I had to replace one just prior to the season starting. That unit was throwing intermittent 'error codes' indicating the wheel sensors. The 'codes' stop immediately after the tie rod replacement. I'm wondering if running tires chains played a role in the leak and the tie rod...?

the service manual doesn't show a need to remove the axle but rather just the cylinder. There is a cup that it runs through inside the differential housing and it appears that the cup has two o rings on it that could have gone bad. I sure hope it isn't a 6 hour job! I figured 3 hours with someone who is good at tools. The front brush guard comes off quick and then the access is easy.

Let's hope it turns out easy.

/ B series steering cylinder leaking #4  
Yellowdog,

My mistake. My leak is a 'weap' from the front differential, and not the steering cylinder. Please let us know how the repair goes for future reference...

/ B series steering cylinder leaking #5  
old thread, but did anyone tackle this?