Buying Advice Toolcat vs V417

/ Toolcat vs V417 #1  

shooter64

Hey guys need a little help, I just sold a CAT 289C which was a little big for my needs, and I got my land clearing projects done. I kept my attachments except for the mulcher, which are to many to list( yes, I have an attachment collection issuse, as my wife refers to it) The toolcat and the Versa handler are pretty close in price, I do alot of food plotting, deer lease stuff, lot of broom work, etc.

Any pros and cons anyone would share, I know the versa handlers are getting way popular now. The only con I can think of with a versa handler is no power bob tach, (my cat spoiled me) and of course has seating for one, which is no big deal to me.

Thanks in advance

/ Toolcat vs V417 #2  
I own a 5610 TC. Just sold a Bobcat S300 skid steer and bought a 2008 New Holland W80 compact wheel loader (13,000 lbs). I came close to buying a V417 instead of the compact wheel loader.

I have lots of attachments for the front and back of my 5610. The advantage of the TC is much smoother ride, can turn tighter, can have 3 pt or dump box, and can see front attachment better. TC is also lighter and easier to haul. The v417 will require a dual tandem axle GN to haul or a very stout 14K trailer but you will probably be overweight. The TC can be hauled on a 10K or greater trailer (maybe 7K trailer but probably on the upper edge).

Big advantanges for the v417 is 4,400 lb lift. (although I changed the lift and tilt cylinders on my TC and can lift near 3000 lbs.) v417 will certainly have much greater reach. The major downfall for me with the V417 is the poor visibility on the right of the machine and poor visibility of the front attachment on the right. I could not see the right fork of a pallet fork or almost any skid steer attachment on the right. Visibility out the back is also marginal on the v417 but better than a skid steer. Visibility of the TC is far superior to v417 and skid steer. However, bucket and attachments are still better seen with skid steer compared to the TC.

The poor visibility of the v417 is why I went with the compact wheel loader. The wheel loader can also lift 7000 lbs but I rarely need that much lift. Case and NH compact wheel loaders are clones. Case/NH and Cat have monoboom front design which gives very good visibility and they now have the front carrier that uses the standard skid steer carrier dimensions so I can use all my skid steer and TC attachments on the front. The wheel loader also has hydraulic locking for the front attachment. I don't know why BC does not offer this on the V417.

I also have an attachment addiction. TC has a broom, construction grapple, tree shear, trencher, snow plow, pallet forks, tiller, PHD, finish mower, manlift ect for the front. On the 3pt, I can use tiller, rotary mower, blades, box blades, ripper, seeder, sprayer, finish mower, disc, pulverizer ect. 3pt equipment is vastly cheaper than front attachments.

If you do not need a high lifting capacity or high reach, I would choose the TC because it is more versitile. Although the TC is rated for 1500 lbs lift, it can lift 2000 lbs for full height. I already had many 3 point attachments and went with the 5610. Since I don't have a 5600 with dump box, I made a carrier for the rear 3 pt and it can act similar to a dump box.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/128602-carry-hauler-modification.html
If you get a TC, order a low profile bucket like a skid steer rather than the standard TC bucket. You can almost see the front edge of a low profile bucket.

The List price of a loaded 5610 TC (50K) is probably cheaper than list for a V417. List price for a NH w80 compact wheel loader is near 85K but I found a machine with extremely low hours for a lot less.

/ Toolcat vs V417
Radman, thanks so much, I drove a V417 yesterday and you are right, visibility is horrible. I am going to order a new 5610 TC today, trying to figure out options, tires, etc. Thanks a bunch for your advice, and I'm coachable, so if you got more please share!

/ Toolcat vs V417 #4  
When I bought my 5610, they only came loaded with most options - cab/heat, high flow, pto, rear hydraulic outlets, turn signals, side and rear view mirrors, travel lights, power bob tach and keyless entry. I don't know if you still have to order them that way. I added the radio, external air intake/cleaner, and the entry step. I think the entry step was too expensive at $200 for what it is, but would buy it again or make my own. It makes getting in an out much easier. If you mow grass, strongly recommend the external air pre-cleaner. My air filter remains almost spotless after 3 years. External cleaner really catches a lot of dust.You can buy an optional suspension seat. It is not needed and expensive. When you buy the optional seat, you are basically purchasing the entire seat through parts. $$$ and could always be added later if you needed. However, the TC ride is so good, you will not need it.

I had my dealer also install a 3rd rear hydraulic outlet. I took one of the existing rear outlets and used a electric hydraulic splitter to make in into 2 outlets. Dealer installed a switch in the cab to operate the splitter/diverter. I use 2 outlets for top and tilt cylinders and the 3rd to run hydraulic scarifers on box blade or hydraulic angle on my rear blade.

Tires are a matter of personal preference. If you go with the R4 tires, get the larger ones for a few bucks more and 1" more clearance. Turf tires are more common for snow or if you do lots of mowing. I wanted more traction. Even the R4 tires don't give good traction in the mud.

With my low profile tooth bucket and increased lift capacity, the TC is a good digger. It has more weight in the front than a similar SS.

If you have not driven a TC, find one and give it a try. They are a pretty amazing machine. I have a JD 4520 CUT and owned several other CUTs. The pto power of a CUT is much better, higher FEL lift, and better traction and clearance. However, the TC is much smoother riding, can see front attachment much better and with the higher flow of the hydraulics can run some cool attachments up front.:thumbsup:

Just finished tilling .75 acres tonight. Tomorrow will level with pulverizer and then seed with the TC.

/ Toolcat vs V417 #5  

Big advantanges for the v417 is 4,400 lb lift. (although I changed the lift and tilt cylinders on my TC and can lift near 3000 lbs.) v417 will certainly have much greater reach. The major downfall for me with the V417 is the poor visibility on the right of the machine and poor visibility of the front attachment on the right. I could not see the right fork of a pallet fork or almost any skid steer attachment on the right. Visibility out the back is also marginal on the v417 but better than a skid steer. Visibility of the TC is far superior to v417 and skid steer. However, bucket and attachments are still better seen with skid steer compared to the TC.

Since these old threads show up to anyone searching the internet for information, I will show how I solved the poor visibility problem on my V417.

This is what I use, it is a 7" monitor
P9020005.JPG

Can't see much to the right looking out the front with a round bale out there.
P9090001 (Large).JPG

This is the view from the front camera, mounted above the right wheel.
P9090002 (Large).JPG
I have tilted the camera up to see higher, since this picture was taken.

This shows what I saw in the monitor.
P9090003 (Large).JPG
You can see the backup camera next to the tail light lens.

I drove on across the cattle guard and shifted to reverse.
P9090004 (Large).JPG

Backed up and stopped with the first pipe at the lower edge of the monitor.
P9090010 (Large).JPG

This is how close it was to the cattle guard.
P9090011 (Large).JPG

It switches to the rear camera when I pull the reverse lever, and the front camera in neutral or forward.

It also shows the top right corner of the quick attach plate when you are lining up to hook onto an attachment, that makes it easy to see that it is under the lip and seated, as you raise it up.

You can also select the rear camera to be on all the time if you are pulling something you want to keep an eye on while going forward, just glance at the monitor.

The V417 is the most amazing and versatile machine that I have ever had, and I have had a lot of tractors in the last 30 years.
P9290014.JPG PA010009.JPG

Next to the Toolcat 5610
P3070021.JPG P3180021.JPG

/ Toolcat vs V417 #6  
Since these old threads show up to anyone searching the internet for information, I will show how I solved the poor visibility problem on my V417.

]

I'm impressed. I've often wondered if the versahandler would be a good addition to my tools. I have a lot of heavy duty attachments like a tree shear, grapple, buckets, etc. I don't think it can run my mulcher or stump grinder but I've got several mowers that it could run.
Are the mounting plates the same as other Bobcats?

/ Toolcat vs V417 #7  
I'm impressed. I've often wondered if the versahandler would be a good addition to my tools. I have a lot of heavy duty attachments like a tree shear, grapple, buckets, etc. I don't think it can run my mulcher or stump grinder but I've got several mowers that it could run.
Are the mounting plates the same as other Bobcats?

Yep, the mounting plate is the same on the V417. Hydraulic flow is 22 GPM. Rated Lift Capacity is 4400 lbs, but mine measured over 5000 lbs.

Max lift: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/275747-v417-max-lift.html

It will do it all.
P3060007.JPG P3060011.JPG P3060012.JPG P3060015.JPG P4090025.JPG

More V417 pictures here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/273429-toolcat-v417.html

V417 website: V417 VersaHandler Telescopic Tool Carrier - Bobcat Company

/ Toolcat vs V417 #8  

This is what I use, it is a 7" monitor
View attachment 313741

View attachment 313742

This is the view from the front camera, mounted above the right wheel.
View attachment 313743
I have tilted the camera up to see higher, since this picture was taken.

This shows what I saw in the monitor.
View attachment 313744
You can see the backup camera next to the tail light lens.

I drove on across the cattle guard and shifted to reverse.
View attachment 313745

Backed up and stopped with the first pipe at the lower edge of the monitor.
View attachment 313746

This is how close it was to the cattle guard.
View attachment 313747

It switches to the rear camera when I pull the reverse lever, and the front camera in neutral or forward.

It also shows the top right corner of the quick attach plate when you are lining up to hook onto an attachment, that makes it easy to see that it is under the lip and seated, as you raise it up.

You can also select the rear camera to be on all the time if you are pulling something you want to keep an eye on while going forward, just glance at the monitor.

The V417 is the most amazing and versatile machine that I have ever had, and I have had a lot of tractors in the last 30 years.
View attachment 313753 View attachment 313754

Next to the Toolcat 5610
View attachment 313751 View attachment 313752

If I had a v417, I would want that kind of setup. Can you see pallet fork tips or bucket edge with monitor?

/ Toolcat vs V417 #9  
If I had a v417, I would want that kind of setup. Can you see pallet fork tips or bucket edge with monitor?

No, I thought about getting a wireless camera to mount out on the boom, so that I could, but don't really need it.

For a pallet on the ground, I can tilt the forks down and see the tips under the fork frame, drive forward until the tips are lined up and touching the pallet, stop, curl up as I go down and extend the boom, the forks slide into the pallet.

For a pallet on a flatbed truck or deckover trailer, the tips are visible as they slide in.
This is what I have, the forks are 42" long, from a forklift. I bought them used about 30 years ago.

I don't have any pictures of just the forks on the V417 Versahandler.
P3130014.JPG P3130020.JPG P6190004.JPG P6190005.JPG

Here is one with a pallet on the forks, on the V417
P6130001.JPG

On the monitor, I can see past the bucket and what is next to it on the right.

The bucket has a high back, made for the V417
P1070005.JPG P1070007.JPG

Weighs 818 pounds with the teeth.
P6060049.JPG P6060050.JPG

Last edited:
   / Toolcat vs V417 #10  
The V417 compact telehandler also excels at digging in the red clay. :thumbsup:

Enough weight in the 1 cubic yard bucket to make a teeter-totter! :D
P3200002.JPG P3200004.JPG

Filling the 4WD wheel barrow.
P3200010.JPG P3200012.JPG P3200013.JPG

The 6' wide bucket with teeth has no problem in the hard red clay