Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #1  

hardhat

Silver Member
I live on about 125 acres of family land. Already have an old ford 555 tlb for doing heavy stuff. Need an ag tractor for doing the garden, bush hogging, etc. The toolcat 5610 looks fantastic to me. I like the cab so I could have a child or wife with me while doing things. Also could use it like a utility vehicle and get rid of a golf cart. Pallet forks on the front. 6 way dozer blade. Looks like a great all purpose machine. My main concern is the central nature of the boom on the front. Anyone had any problems with this boom twisting? Will it actually push a dozer blade to crown a road? Can you dig at all with the front bucket? Do those of you that own them, like them? Or do you wish you had a separate truck, tractor, golf cart, loader, etc..?

Does the boom twist if you pick up something with one side of the bucket?
Will it pull cultivators and discs well?

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #2  
I've had my Toolcat for 3 years and I use it exclusively on my place (1200 acres). I don't regret getting it and we really like it for what we do. The downside is it isn't heavy enough for heavy lifting and you'll be glad you have a heavier machine for that.
I've done a little dirt work with mine and it works, just slow and easy. Unlike some here I don't use ballast in the bed for weight, I want to know by feel how heavy things are. If the rear wheels are light or raised just slow down and make a coupla trips. I've caught a few rocks and roots with the corners of my bucket, so far no twisting, by slowing down you can tell if you're into something that might twist things.
All in all very satisfied so far.

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #3  
I had a 5610 and put on larger lift and tilt cylinders. I did twist my boom once when lift with just the corner of the tooth bucket. Made the bucket about 1" lower on that side. I got lucky and twisted it back by lifting on the opposite corner. Now, I am careful to only do heavy lifts with lift centered on the boom. It was my mistake to lift on the corner. TC is rated for 1500 lbs lift but widely known to lift 2000 lbs. I have lifted 2500 lb cement bunker block by chain placed at the midpoint of my pallet forks. By my estimate, I am lifting nearly 3000 lbs near the pins. Even on these heavy lifts, the rear end stays on the ground without any rear ballast. Even at max lift, I have not yet raised the back of the machine.

I have had larger skid steers (Bobcat 873 and S300) and find the TC with my modifed cylinders to be as good as a digger using a toothed bucket. I think its is because of the greater front end weight combined with high lift capacity. I dug a hole as deep as my TC to bury some concrete and debris for a friend. It was nice black dirt and surprised me how well it dug.

I pulled a 6', 3pt Landpride disc with my TC in crop ground without any problems. I would be leary of a dozer blade on the TC. I think dozer blades are hard to control on a wheeled skid and want to rise up and down. Better control on a tracked skid. A TC with the softer front end due to the springs is probably going to be difficult to control.

The TC will be limited to 25 pto hp with the hydraulic motor. Any tough pto work is more difficult compared to a CUT. I find tilling with the TC in hard soil a bit of a fustration. The pto of a CUT actually increases as the rpm decrease in hard ground due to the hp/torque peak at lower than 540 pto speed. The TC hydraulic pto is all down hill in demanding pto conditions. I have a boom mounted,66" hydraulic tiller as well. It operates like my King kutter 72" tiller and easy to slow down. On the brighter side, you don't need ptos with slip clutches on the TC!
I use 6', rotary mower and haven't had big issues with that slowing down the pto. 6' Overseeder worked fine, 60" rear pto snowblower and 84" RFM were also good.

Since, the 5610 does not have a rear bed, I use a carry-on hauler on my TC and can dump with that or carry equipement, limbs, logs ect.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/128602-carry-hauler-modification.html

I also have a 60 hp, JD 4520 CUT with cab and FEL. For most jobs, I would choose the TC 5610 over the CUT. The JD will lift higher, go though mud better with its r1 tires, and has more pto power. Otherwise the TC will win in most other categories. A loaded TC 5610 will be close in price to a loaded JD 4520 with cab and FEL.

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #4  
If you get a TC, strongly consider getting the low profile skid steer bucket. Can almost see the front cutting edge. Heavier build than the typical TC bucket. Can carry more.

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions
I am becoming obsessed with having a toolcat. We are going to have to get either a tractor and a lawnmower or a 5610. Like the idea of being able to take the kids bushhogging with me in safety and not breathing a bunch of grass dust. Today I had to drive over to where our new house is being built on the golf cart, get the 20000 lb lull 644 telescopic forklift, drive it over to my grandmothers to pick up a 200 lb pallet of stuff and lumber back through the field to the new house to drop it off, pick up the golf cart, etc.

Toolcat could have done that whole job better and with air conditioning too. I could get rid of a golf cart and the lull (through doing high lifts) without suffering. Plus the 90" mower seems incredible. Could cut grass faster than a dedicated machine (at least in the open field).

I am going to have to do something soon or my wife is going to kill me over this toolcat obsession. Fortunately she is in favor of getting one, so we are probably going to bite the bullet while there is still 0% financing for 36 months.

Hope to find some folks out here that are excited (at least to some degree) about these machines to talk about what they can and can't do.

Larry

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #6  
The 5610 is a great machine. The only problem is you may develop an attachment addiction. First it is the front bucket, then the finish mower, PHD, ect. With the 5610, you can get front or rear attachment addiction. I may be worse off than "Charlie Sheen".:laughing:
The majority of my attachments are used. Can find them in really good condition for 1/3 to 1/2 of new for Bobcat or other venders. For the front, I have PHD, tiller, broom, grapple x2, 90" finish mower, tilt tach, pallet forks, 3 pt adapter, pallet forks with 4' hydraulic lift, man lift, snow pusher, snow blade, and trencher. For the rear, rotary mower, overseeder, primary seeder, blade, box blade, pulverizer, tiller, snow blower, carry all, sprayer, disc, subsoiler, 3pt drawbar, and aerator. I also have CUT and skid steer.

Consider the low profile skid steer bucket over the standard utility bucket. Easier to see the front, holds more, heavier built and give more reach.

The 90" is really nice to run up front. Great visibility, very manuverable. Faster than a rear of mid CUT mower. Not as nimble as a zero turn around obstacles. I removed the safety so I can raise it over my rock driveway, mow over ditches ect without shutting it off. If you are going to mow a lot, consider adding the air pre-cleaner. Moves are intake to near top of cab. I get very minimal dirt in my air cleaner. I blow it out a couple of times a year but almost no dirt.

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions
Radman,

Has yours been reliable? I have read some other posts on lawnsite and a couple of other places that talk about poor reliability although they did not specify if this was a "d" model or an older one. I think it would be really neat to be able to mow, till and bush hog in air conditioned comfort and maybe even have one or both of my little girls in the passenger seat along for the ride.

The price is high, but I think this is really a machine that would be enjoyable to use. At the end of the day, they enjoyment is what it is all about.

Be useful for picking up limbs with a grapple too. Wife has given the go ahead, I am just hesistant to bite the bullet. I like machinery, but would have to absolutely love this thing to justify the cost. If it is not a reliable and solid machine, I would be very frustrated. I am not hard on equipment, I try to respect a machine's capabilities and stay within that. I also take care of machines as far as changing oil, coolant, greasing it, etc.

Thanks,

Larry

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #8  
I have had very few issues. Had couple if minimal issues that could have fixed myself but had it done under warranty. The hydraulic oil is a pain to change. Need to siphon it out a hose. Took over an hour on a warm day. Next, time I will buy a cheap pump to run on a drill and do it. The oil filter for the radiator fan is also very difficult to reach on a 5610 due to position of the fan. I could barely get it on and off. Really poor postion. I think I have about 700 hours. I will say the electronics could be a potential problem but so far no issues. I keep mine stored inside.

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #9  
The 5610 is a great machine. The only problem is you may develop an attachment addiction. First it is the front bucket, then the finish mower, PHD, ect. With the 5610, you can get front or rear attachment addiction. I may be worse off than "Charlie Sheen".:laughing:
The majority of my attachments are used. Can find them in really good condition for 1/3 to 1/2 of new for Bobcat or other venders. For the front, I have PHD, tiller, broom, grapple x2, 90" finish mower, tilt tach, pallet forks, 3 pt adapter, pallet forks with 4' hydraulic lift, man lift, snow pusher, snow blade, and trencher. For the rear, rotary mower, overseeder, primary seeder, blade, box blade, pulverizer, tiller, snow blower, carry all, sprayer, disc, subsoiler, 3pt drawbar, and aerator. I also have CUT and skid steer.

Consider the low profile skid steer bucket over the standard utility bucket. Easier to see the front, holds more, heavier built and give more reach.

The 90" is really nice to run up front. Great visibility, very manuverable. Faster than a rear of mid CUT mower. Not as nimble as a zero turn around obstacles. I removed the safety so I can raise it over my rock driveway, mow over ditches ect without shutting it off. If you are going to mow a lot, consider adding the air pre-cleaner. Moves are intake to near top of cab. I get very minimal dirt in my air cleaner. I blow it out a couple of times a year but almost no dirt.
Please tell me more about removing the mower safety (specifically, how).

/ Looking at purchasing 5610. Some basic questions #10  
This is a little from memory and I did it a few years ago on my 90" mower. Remove the plastic cover in the middle of the machine that covers the pump and hoses. Inside, there is a small, silver (nonpainted) wheel held on my a bolt. It is best to see how it works by removing the cover and raising the mower. The rear wheels are attached to a rear shaft that rotates. As the mower is lifted, the shaft rotates and the small wheel (2.5" diameter or so) is moved and shuts off the flow to the hydraulic motor. It will become obvious when you take the cover off and watch. Simply remove the bolt and little wheel and your go to go. Probably a 10-15 minute job and I had no idea how to do it.