Break in service done.

/ Break in service done. #1  

hardhat

Silver Member
All I can say, is that as soon as I start having problems with the Toolcat after I get it paid off, is that I will trade it in on a new one. Had to take the muffler off to get to the case drain filter. Oil filter easy enough to change. Main hydraulic filter easy. Had to take muffler off to get to the main belt to check its tension. Didn't have to adjust it. Fortunately this service is not due again until 250 or 500 hours or something like that. I love the machine, but think it will be a nightmare to work on. Will try to keep a new one if I can.

Anyone out there do any work on the machine themselves?

/ Break in service done. #2  
I do what I can myself. So far I've been lucky. Haven't changed the case drain filter yet, I probably should. I've got the filter sitting in the garage and I've got about 75 hrs on the Toolcat now.

DEWFPO

/ Break in service done.
Think I could have done the filter without raising the radiator to the service position, but cannot imagine doing it without taking muffler off. I used an oil filter wrench the kind like pliers (not the wrap around band type) and held it at an angle. Was the toughest part of the service. I hope the machine continues to hold up as I love using it.

/ Break in service done. #4  
All I can say, is that as soon as I start having problems with the Toolcat after I get it paid off, is that I will trade it in on a new one. Had to take the muffler off to get to the case drain filter. Oil filter easy enough to change. Main hydraulic filter easy. Had to take muffler off to get to the main belt to check its tension. Didn't have to adjust it. Fortunately this service is not due again until 250 or 500 hours or something like that. I love the machine, but think it will be a nightmare to work on. Will try to keep a new one if I can.

Anyone out there do any work on the machine themselves?

I highly recommend that you do not procrastinate in checking the tension of the main drive belt. While you are in there, you might want to change-out the bolts on the exhaust pipe flange that mates with the turbo flange (I'd say every 500 hours on the bolts). In order to tension the belt alone, I build a little fixture composed of two bolts and one of those funky, long (3/4") nuts. I also bought a crows-foot wrench for the job. After you do the job once, it goes quickly.

/ Break in service done. #5  
In my experience, the Toolcat is a difficult machine to work on. If you do, I would recommend that you have a complete set of tools, a service manual, and a lot of patience.