5600 B series power steering leak and other things

/ 5600 B series power steering leak and other things #1  

yellowdogsvc

Veteran Member
Anyone have a B series power steering leak? I have the service manual but it looks like a lot more work than I want to attempt. Dealer says it needs to come in and I hate not having the machine on the ranch.

Also, even though I have the 56hp model, when I am climbing a hill with a load of brush or dirt in the bucket, it seems like I have no power and it sort of "shudders" and vibrates while making the climb. Any thoughts?

One last issue I seem to have is when I have a heavy load in bucket, the machine sags to the driver's side. Bobcat measured all the tolerances and they were the same. They then diagnosed it as a front coil spring failure and replaced that. Still does it $600 later.

anyone experience similar issues?

/ 5600 B series power steering leak and other things #2  
Your lack pf power when going uphill sounds like drive motor failure, and this could also be related to your other hyd. issues. When the motors fail, they spew little brass bits into the hyd. system, which can get into the other components.

Take your Toolcat to your dealer for a diagnosis, they have a procedure which will verify the health of your drive motors. If they confirm failure, they may offer to cover the parts and labor as this was a known issue and the new motors have better materials and should not be an issue again.

The hyd. system will need to be flushed, and both filters need to be changed too. You can find more info on this issue by searching this forum for "drive motor failure".

/ 5600 B series power steering leak and other things #3  
On your issue with the Toolcat leaning with a load in the bucket, the front coils would have no effect so I'm not surprised that replacing one of them did not help.

With any significant load on the front end, the front coils bottom out and the machine rests on the bump stops. the coils only support the machine under light or no load, for a better ride quality.

If your Toolcat really does lean when loaded, you can visually verify that both front coils are compressed (just measure the length of each with a tape) so then you can focus on either an issue with a missing stop on the side that sits lower, or maybe an issue with a rear leaf. I have heard of leafs cracking, so again this should be pretty easy to verify visually. It could also be an issue with the front suspension bushings binding on one side, but I don't think it is very likely. Grease it up good, some of the front bushings are tough to access and like to plug up.

/ 5600 B series power steering leak and other things
Thanks. I had taken the machine to dealer who replaced the front coil and it still leans. They checked everything else, they said, and thought that would fix it.

They told me my drive motors were fine... not sure. It's an August '05 build and they told me that by then, the motors were better.. not sure about that either.

i've had the fuel line grommet replaced 3 times and it is leaking AGAIN. Same annoying little things with the Toolcat. Really, it's a lot of little annoyances that add up and frustrate me. My excavator and Bobcats don't act up like this does and diagnosing is always fun. Thanks for the help.