Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #1  

melgibson

Bronze Member
A while back I sprang a leak in the hydraulic oil reservoir and I took the machine into the dealer. It turns out the the edge of the battery had been in contact with the plastic material that the reservoir is made of and had apparently rubbed a hole in it.

The dealer at the time said that to replace the reservoir was a big deal (pull the cab, etc.), so he patched it with some kind of adhesive.

Well, the adhesive has worn off and now I have three leaks of sufficient volume that the machine is inoperable.

So I called the dealer and spoke with the new service manager, asking him what kind of adhesive was used. He just laughed.:laughing:

Does anyone have any suggestion of an adhesive or glue that I can use to patch this plastic reservoir/holding tank?

Thanks in advance.

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #2  
Does Bobcat not have a manufacturers design and defect warranty? They should have pulled the cab and replaced the reservoir, and added a battery tie down bracket at the same time.

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #3  
You'd have to know what kind of plastic the tank was made of, then, if you could find the correct glue (and procedure for gluing), get a patch of the same material to glue over the bad area.

Some glues require multistep processes for it to adhere and cure properly.

DEWFPO

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #4  
contact Bobcat technical support and tell them what your dealer did and send them copies of your receipts. I am fairly sure you will get a response on this.

There are certain procedures the dealers are required to follow..

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak
Here's the wrap up-

After trying three patch jobs on the existing tank (Bondo, 3M, etc.), I bought a new tank from Bobcat for about $400 and replaced the old one. The job was easier than I thought, with the front driver's seat out and the access plate removed.

Still have my drive motor/transaxle breather valve leak, but what the heck- it's a Toolcat!

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #6  
Hi..
It is difficult to tell the type of adhesive that was used without knowing the type of plastic the tank is made up of..But i think you can go for replacement..Because patching with the glue is a long process and you must be careful..

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #7  
Mine just developed the same leak. Battery was at one time to close to the reservoir. Not looking forward to pulling the old one out. $404.70 now for reservoir.
I was wondering about JB weld. I used it on my pontoon boat and a diesel truck tank with very good results. I ordered new tank anyway. The battery wore a seam about 10" long in my tank.

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #8  
Which series Toolcats are experiencing the leaks?

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #9  
Mine is a 2011 f series. Have not noticed battery wearing into tank but when mine I overfilled even a little it will leak. Worse when hot due to lower viscosity and fluid level rising from expansion. Not a biggie and haven't had to add fluid in months.

Larry.

Is the battery touching the tank visible with brackets in place and everything?

/ Hydraulic Oil Reservoir Leak #10  
My 2009 5600D (purchased in late 2008) had a defective sight glass on the side of the tank. It oozed hydraulic oil, the service manager said it was a common problem (leaky sight glass), but no mention of a leak in the tank itself.

DEWFPO