Annoying vibration from the tailgate locking pins.

/ Annoying vibration from the tailgate locking pins. #1  

DEWFPO

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 D
My 5600 has had a very annoying high speed vibration sound coming from the locking pins for the rear tailgate. The pins are vibrating in the slots. It only occurs at certain rpms. Obviously pulling the pins and lowering the tailgate stops the noise but has any one figured out a fix for this since you can't always run with the tailgate down? The pins fit snugly into the slots so I can't wrap anything around the pins themselves. I guess I could use some weather stripping between the box and the tailgate to put more tension on the pins to reduce the vibration.

I typically ignore the noise but I was moving some timber and rock around the other day and I had a neighbor in the cab with me and when I revved the engine the pins started to vibrate very loudly and the neighbor thought something blew or went wrong (I had to endure a few minutes of "If this was a John Deere it wouldn't be doing that". Rather than get in a pissing match with him I just shut up and changed the subject.

DEWFPO

/ Annoying vibration from the tailgate locking pins. #2  
Not familiar with Toolcat...

I have seen springs adapted to pins eliminate rattle...

Some of the auto parts places sell the rubber bumpers in different sizes the pop in a round 1/4 or 3/8 hole.

/ Annoying vibration from the tailgate locking pins. #3  
Mine are so tight I have to force them into the holes to lock it. Maybe a strip or two of electical tape between the tailgate and the box?

/ Annoying vibration from the tailgate locking pins.
There's a bit of space between the tailgate and the bed. I'm sure this is allowing the pins to vibrate loudly so I agree some thin rubber stops or high density weather stripping should help put pressure on the pins and quiet them down. Thanks

DEWFPO