Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How to replace dead battery 5600d

Quote Originally Posted by melgibson View Post
    I've had it happen twice to me and the only way I could fix it was to get four guys and lift the bed up. I've tried jumping it at the battery and at the starter (as per the manual) with a dual battery 1 ton pickup and it didn't work. I don't think I tried DEWFPRO's suggestion about disconnecting the battery from the the starter and just using the jump battery.
    I tried that this AM. It doesn't work.
    I guess I'll need to get an A-frame and hoist to lift the bed.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

If your bed is similar to my kubota RTV, you might put a strap around the front and lock the brakes on your TC and pull the bed up with your automobile or even lawntractor if you have one. just open the hydraulic lever firs to let the oil flow past the valve. Go slow and it should just pivot up. Once up, be sure to block it properly to keep it up.
    Are you sure it is the battery and not the starter that is the problem? Starter could be shorted out internally and caused the battery drain, although I did have the same problem with dead battery on my RTV that died in 2 days of activity. It was a shorted out cell in the battery although I could jump start it ok AND the battery is on the side so it is accessible with the dump bed down.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2009 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 D

Quote Originally Posted by Redfox View Post
    I tried that this AM. It doesn't work.
    I guess I'll need to get an A-frame and hoist to lift the bed.
    I haven't tried jumping the Toolcat with the cable detached from the starter so thanks for letting us know it doesn't work.

When you connect the booster battery to the starter lead (with the cable attached), are you getting power to the dash? Are the glow plugs coming on with a turn of the key? If not, have you checked the fuses? There's a 100 amp MegaFuse in the system but unfortunately it's under the bed.

I've been considering installing one of these hardwired-quick connect jumpers on the Toolcat since the building I store it in completely blocks the rear and passenger's side of the machine.

I don't understand why it won't jump unless the battery itself has an internal short or a short in the wiring. Unfortunately your not the first to have to deal with this very issue.

DEWFPO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to replace dead battery 5600d-stc164-n-jpg  
    Last edited by DEWFPO; 11-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket, Titan HD 48" Pallet Forks

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

The battery only measures 5v or so. The panel lights light up but only when I have two batteries trying to jump it. The glow plugs count down, then nothing. Otherwise, with only one battery the panel flashes and then goes dead.
    It could be the starter, but I think the first step in trouble shooting would be to test / swap out the battery and see if it starts.

Bronze Member

DEWFPO-

I have a Warn jumper set (like you show in your picture) permanently connected to the battery with the connectors run to the rear under the box. I use it to connect to my winch, which hangs off the hitch receiver when I mount it. When my battery was dead, we tried to jump it using this jumper set. But it didn't work.

RedFox-

Be careful pulling up the box with a mechanical device. We tried that with a Gradall forklift and woven tow strap, and we bent the box at the mounting brackets.

Fortunately, I was able to bend it back without tearing any of the welds.

I think my problem occurred because the safety bolt (the one that you engage when the box is up) somehow got engaged while the box was down and prevented the box from pivoting on it's hinges. Anyway, if you're going to try and raise it using something that has some force (my Gradall is rated at 10,000 lbs lifting capacity), go slow and stop if metal starts bending.

Tractor

[QUOTE=melgibson;2589506]DEWFPO-

I have a Warn jumper set (like you show in your picture) permanently connected to the battery with the connectors run to the rear under the box. I use it to connect to my winch, which hangs off the hitch receiver when I mount it. When my battery was dead, we tried to jump it using this jumper set. But it didn't work.

[QUOTE]

Did the battery have an internal short?

DEWFPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket, Titan HD 48" Pallet Forks

Tractor
    Toolcat D

My wife suggested a solution to avoid this potential problem. She suggested that we park the Toolcat with the bed elevated and the saftety bar locked in place. As our toolcat is always parked in a covered area, this seems reasonable. Any thoughts? Any potential downsides?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post
    My wife suggested a solution to avoid this potential problem. She suggested that we park the Toolcat with the bed elevated and the saftety bar locked in place. As our toolcat is always parked in a covered area, this seems reasonable. Any thoughts? Any potential downsides?
    I used to do that all the time and had no issues. I've recently gotten out of the habit of doing that but may start again.

DEWFPO

Bronze Member

[QUOTE=DEWFPO;2589975][QUOTE=melgibson;2589506]DEWFPO-

Did the battery have an internal short?

DEWFPO
    It must have; I just don't know enough about electrical systems to properly diagnose these problems.

Instead of raising the bed to change battery, remove the left rear plastic fender and then remove the battery to replace it. Just a few bolts at the rear of the fender and a few screws on the fuel filler cap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast