Toolcat traction issues

/ Toolcat traction issues #1  

VAN1965

Tractor
Toolcat 5600
I just got off the phone with my dealership in reference to my 2009 Toolcat 5600D's traction issue, the technician told me that "work mode" would significantly increase the traction on my machine and that combining that with extra weight in the box should allow me to navigate through muddy areas with ease. He also recommended taller and narrower tires to cut down on float.... Not sure if he was just shining me on or if these suggestions will really dramatically improve my machines' traction, but he insisted that "work mode" transfers low end power to the wheels! Anyone know for sure if this is the case or not?

/ Toolcat traction issues #2  
My personal experience with 'work mode' is that it makes the accelerator much more responsive and requiring less 'pedal travel' to get a directional response. I guess the fact that it require less 'pedal' could translate into less possibility of too much pedal resulting in loss of traction. The other item you might double check (assuming the D series has it) is the axle matching setting in the dash computer which tells the unit to shift power to the axle that is not loosing traction.

/ Toolcat traction issues #3  
Hi Van- you're persistent, so let me save you a bunch of time.

I have a D series which was manufactured about 9 months after the series was launched in 1998. Take a look at this YouTube video for a demonstration of the D series traction problem on my machine (or Google "YouTube Toolcat Gets Stuck Again"):

Toolcat Gets Stuck Again - YouTube

The reason for this is that the D series was designed more for turf work than off road work. Therefore, it does not have a differential lock, which tends to tear up turf when you turn.

We have tried work mode to no avail (as another poster noted, work mode just slows the response of the machine and any tools so that you can work accurately in tight situations).

Here is the history of my journey:

1) I became aware of the traction problem in 2009 when I nearly flipped the machine in mud when I was on an hill (because the opposite wheels spin when they loose traction, it tends to pull the machine downhill at an angle- very dangerous, so watch out).

2) I took it to the dealer ($250 to rent a truck and trailer to haul it in).

3) The dealer Service Manager (Dennis, 510-661-5700 ) had never worked on a Toolcat, but made a good faith effort to help me (since then I guess I'm on their 'bad boy' list because when I recently asked his help to diagnose my leaking transaxle breather value he responded: "I don't know how to fix it... do it yourself, it's just nuts and bolts").

4) I then contacted the Product Manager for the Toolcat business unit at Bobcat about the traction issue (Kristen, 701-241-8700 or 701-222-5000- she's in the Bismark office; not very cordial, and tried not to be helpful).

5) I then wrote a letter to Bobcat's CEO (Scott Nelson, CEO, 701-241-8700) and ultimately was contacted by the General Manager, Tractor, Utlility Vehicles and Toolcat business unit (Mike, 701-241-8700, he was cordial and tried to be helpful).

6) I then got a call back to take the machine back to the dealer (another $250) under supervision of the District Service Manager (Gary, 701-280-7899, ext 7405, whose attitude made me think I was interrupting his golf game).

7) They put some kind of tool on each axle to test the setting of the transaxle. They then reported that the machine is operating as designed. So I live with it, and am careful not to get into a potential rollover situation.

That's my story.

Now you may say that my video is a lot of smoke and mirrors. If so, please explain why Bobcat has not asked me to take it down. I know they have seen it because they told me so.

If you still don't believe me and you have a D series, try the test that the dealer's Service Manager conducted: place the
machine several inches in front of a bollard. Jack up one of the wheels on the front, and a wheel on the opposite side of machine on the back. Enter the machine, and try to drive forward. It won't move.

I like my Toolcat, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't perform as advertised. Take a look at some of the Bobcat claims below from their website. I'm not a mechanical engineer and don't really understand transmissions, but as a dumb consumer I read this to mean that the Toolcat should perform at least as well as my Kawasaki Mule or my Land Rover from a traction standpoint.

From the Toolcat website:

Four-Wheel Drive

The first of the many Bobcatョ innovations in the D-Series Toolcat 5600 and 5610 is our exclusive hydrostatic four-wheel drive system. It delivers as much traction and torque as possible to power through snow or up an incline, while minimizing damage on turf. Together with front and rear tractive effort and all-wheel steering, the Toolcat utility work machine's drive train provides the perfect balance of excellent traction, smooth turning, minimized tire wear and outstanding turf protection.

Minimize Ground Disturbance

Traditional off-road, full-time, four-wheel drive systems utilize locking differentials which cause "binding" when turning. This negative feedback increases turf damage. HTC eliminates this four-wheel drive characteristic from the Toolcat utility work machine's drive train, minimizing turf tear out when working on grass. It also reduces wear on your tires and minimizes marks on asphalt or pavement.

Utilizing limited slip differentials in both the front and the rear of the Toolcat 5600 and 5610, the HTC drive system automatically manages the torque split between the high-traction and low-traction tires. If one wheel loses tractive effort, HTC ensures that the wheel with the most traction maintains the most torque without the need to engage any locks, buttons or levers.

Maximize Traction

The Toolcat 5600 and 5610, with Hydrostatic Traction Control, four-wheel drive and four-wheel independent suspension, deliver maximum traction in snowy or icy conditions on pavement or in barnyards or feedlots.