Overheating

/ Overheating #1  

LIVEBAIT

Tractor
bobcat toolcat 5600
Greetings...this is my first post...so please be gentle...I have a 2011-5600 toolcat. It keeps eating the o-ring on top of the front drive motor. Also, I am having some overheating issues. The dealer replaced the thermostat. I keep all filters clean, as well as the radiators. Even after doing all of this, the heat gauge climbs, I stop the machines forward motion, it cools and then heats up, after a little while everything goes back to normal. Please help, and realize that I have limiting mechanical, spelling , and typing skills.

/ Overheating #2  
I have a 2011 5600 also and have not had an issue with overheating, I mow with the 5600 alot and after an hour or so the screen on the radiator is plugged and it has no effect on the temp of the 5600. So with that said you must have some type of blockage have you tried to remove the thermostat and see what happens? If that does not help then you know something is putting a load on the eng. I would think that if you are have a problem with a drive motor that might be the the source of the problem, I would be interested to hear how you make out?

/ Overheating
toy1, thanks for the reply. I have a tech coming next week. The machine is still under warranty and I need to play by their rules for now. I will keep you informed. Thanks, Livebait

/ Overheating #4  
Does the fan seem to be running faster when it is hot versus when cool? It should be. Look underneath the radiator to locate the hydraulic fan motor, follow the electrical lead to a connection plug (about 6-12" form fan). Start the engine when cold, lock the brakes, then unplug that fan plug - the fan should go to full speed when unplugged. If it will not call the dealer so they can bring solenoid spool with them when they come.

/ Overheating
SSdoxie, thanks for the reply, I will give it a shot. LIVEBAIT

/ Overheating #6  
The fan should be running all the times even with a stone cold engine. The hotter the coolant gets, the faster the fan will run (obviously, to a point). If the thermostat is working properly as well as the water pump and there is not an internal blockage (unlikely) and a hose isn't kinked, I would be looking at the cooling fan drive.

DEWFPO

/ Overheating
Greetings to all who have posted to this thread. The tech came today and replaced the sending unit on the block. I have been grinding stumps all afternoon and the temp gauge has not moved. So as they say so far so good.Thanks to all who tried to help me.

/ Overheating #8  
The fan should be running all the times even with a stone cold engine. The hotter the coolant gets, the faster the fan will run (obviously, to a point). If the thermostat is working properly as well as the water pump and there is not an internal blockage (unlikely) and a hose isn't kinked, I would be looking at the cooling fan drive.

DEWFPO

I am sure my cooling fan does not run when the engine is cold.

/ Overheating #10  
And I am sure mine does. It's a 2009 5600D.

DEWFPO

Cooling fan running with cold engine and hydrualic fluid. If it runs at all or at low speed depends on age of machine, or should say version of software update in the controller. When first built they did not run at all, later update had them at full speed when first started then slowed to stop, later version yet changed to have fun run at a minimum speed all the time. All versions are supposed to pick up speed as engine and hydraulic temps increase.