Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A #1  

1965tontruck

Silver Member
Have a TC 5600A with 450 hours on the clock. I have been suspecting an issue with one or both drive motors. Today I decided to test the drive motors by slowly driving into a stone pile until I could not move forward. Next I slowly pressed the pedal until the wheels started to spin. I expected one front wheel and one rear wheel to spin. The TC was in 2-wheel steer. What I got was both front wheels spinning and no rear wheels spinning. Next I locked the differential and repeated the test. Same results. I doubt this is correct so what should I check next. Is it possible that that a solenoid is bad or does this point to a bad rear drive motor? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have not cut the filters apart so I do not know if there are brass fragments in the system.

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A #2  
Have a TC 5600A with 450 hours on the clock. I have been suspecting an issue with one or both drive motors. Today I decided to test the drive motors by slowly driving into a stone pile until I could not move forward. Next I slowly pressed the pedal until the wheels started to spin. I expected one front wheel and one rear wheel to spin. The TC was in 2-wheel steer. What I got was both front wheels spinning and no rear wheels spinning. Next I locked the differential and repeated the test. Same results. I doubt this is correct so what should I check next. Is it possible that that a solenoid is bad or does this point to a bad rear drive motor? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have not cut the filters apart so I do not know if there are brass fragments in the system.

You have a bad drive motor. If a solenoid was not contacting to stroke the rear pump you would have a code come up.

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A
Thanks - that is what I thought. How hard are they to change. I have average wrenching skills.

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A #4  
Motor is fairly simple to replace, it has a splined shaft that just plugs into the differential, so 3 hoses and 4 or 5 bolts to take off and it comes right out. The hardest part is cleaning and flushing brass and metal out of the system. If the case drain filter (one in battery compartment) got plugged with brass and went into by-pass there will be contamination in the reservoir, if so reservoir should come out to clean it good.
It is also recommended that both motors be replaced. One new notor is going to be much more efficient than the front one, could throw the drive off. Plus the other motor is pobably in early stages of same failure.

If you purchased this machine new, are the first owner, call your dealer. Bobcat may be willing to offer some partial warranty, but only if you were the original purchaser of this.

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A #5  
If you are truly expereincing drive motor failures it should be showing up in your hydraulic filters. While I'm uncertain of the 'A' series, the 'B' series has two hydraulic filters with the lager one being located under the bed next to the rear axle on the drivers side. In all 3 of my 'B' series, the large filter under the bed 'plugged' and threw an error code. The smaller filter next to the battery never did plug. You can remove the large filter and carefully cut it open. If you are having drive motor failure you will see the particles in the cut open filter.

If memory serves me, the cost (parts and labor) ran approximately $7,000+- per unit. If you elect to do this yourself, make sure that you repeatedly 'flush' the hydraulic system to prevent those particles from damaging the hydraulic system internally. I would also suggest that you have a hydraulic sample pulled and sent to a lab before and after the repair ($30.00) to give you confirmation of the problem as well as a 'bench mark' for future samples to monitor any contamination levels.

/ Testing Drive Motors on Toolcat 5600A
Thanks guys - I appreciate the input. I just went through a total drive motor failure with my father-in-laws TC. I am not the original owner so I already know BC will not help (same with father-in-law). I think I am going to take to BC service for confirmation of drive motor failure, but I already know the rear one is bad and has been for a while. It just does not drive right. I'll let you know the outcome. Again thanks for the help.