ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #1  

TooMany

Tractor
Kubota, ToolCat, Ventrac, Dixie Chopper, etc.
My arm rest safety switch has given me problems by occasionally not detecting that the arm rest is lowered and therefore not allowing the machine to move. On some occasions this happened as I was operating the ToolCat and moving along. It slammed to a halt. I got a "spare" switch, but by the time it came in the machine was operating normally and had been for a while. So, I did not replace it at that time. Then, yesterday, while working the machine, it failed a few times, but quickly returned to operational by simply raising and lowering the arm.

Then it stopped working and refused to become operational again. This left me cursing the "safety devices" thrust upon us and left the machine immovable in the middle of the road. I removed the switch (two screws and nuts) and took voltage measurements to be sure it was the magnetic switch and not the wiring. All three wires were reporting in so the switch became my focus. I tried applying a magnet, but there was no click noise and no "feel" of movement in the switch. Then it came back to working, with the switch connected to the wires, but laying beside the seat.

I looked for my spare switch, but it was not in the ToolCat. Still, it was working again so I got it back into the shop. I even shut down and restarted a few times and it continued working - meaning even with the switch not bolted in and no magnet near it, the machine could be used.

This morning, the lights were back on and the machine would not move. Applying a small, but powerful button magnet to the top outer edge of the switch produced a click I could both hear and feel and the lights went out. I taped the magnet in that position and laid the switch carefully out of the way. Result, switch is bypassed and the machine works fine regardless of where the arm rest is. So, that's the answer to how to bypass the safety switch on an '08 ToolCat 5600.

Now the hunt is on for my new safety switch, but you can rely on the fact that I will carry this switch with the magnet taped in place as a backup system that will allow me to move the machine in case the new switch fails at some point.

Just wanted to share this in case it might help someone else in the future. I searched all last evening for an answer to my problem, but failed to find it. I did see mention of "error codes" and I'd like to know where they show up and how to get them to show.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #2  
Push and hold the button for lights and the error code will come up in the display. Then you can find that code in your operators manual.
My 2008 came with a small user manual behind the seat and that has some of the codes listed, but there's more of them in the manual.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #3  
The arm rest sensor is an Input code so unless the sensor has a broken wire (open circuit) or short to gorund the controller can't tell if there is a position problem or if operator moved the arm rest. You may not get a code.

Double check the arm rest mount and stop when fully down. If it is worn so the arm rest can bounce or move to far down it will move the sensor out of position and lock up. With new sensor in, lower the rest until it unlocks then try pushing down on the arm rest. If it locks up/shuts off the rest stop needs repair.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem
Thanks, I just wanted to know where and how to get codes. I'd pressed and held various combinations of buttons to no avail. Now I know to press and hold the light button. Did that and it displayed "none" which suits me.

There's no play in the arm, but I will certainly check the positioning when I install the fresh safety switch in the arm rest. As for the old switch, I will leave the button magnet taped in place and mount the switch to something that doesn't bump around, but is still reachable by the switch plug wire. It will then serve as my backup and will allow me to bypass the safety operation when I need to be jumping in and out and still have the hydraulics operational.

Thanks for your reply.

Now, I have two more questions. First is, do you or anyone else for that matter, know of an "emergency" bypass mode to allow you to move the machine if and when that switch fails with the machine in a bad location? I would doubt they put in such a logical and necessary option, but it's worth asking. Second, do you happen to know the "code" the switch returns? That could be helpful in building a little module to fool the system if it becomes necessary. If not, then I will stick with the little magnet as long as that works and cut open the switch to solder a jumper in place of the reed switch when the magnet stops working.

Thanks

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #5  
I just put the arm rest down and reach over it to the joy stick when I'm out of the machine and need hydraulics.

I don't find a code for the switch you're having problems with.

There's a thread on here somewhere about towing the Toolcat, basically there is a way, but complicated.

Sorry I don't know more.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #6  
There is a way to 'tow' a Toolcat with the use of specialized bolts that are inserted into the axle which disengages the drive motors allowing the TC to roll. If memory serves me, I believe that this ability may not be available to all Toolcat series. I know for certain that they (the bolts) work with the 腺 Series. The bolts were not cheap and ran around $80.00 for the set which may have included shipping. Check with your dealer as I知 pretty certain that one or more of the 壮eries was unable to use this feature. There may also be a reference in your owners manual.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #7  
Tim is correct in terms of this option (special bolts) not working for some series of Toolcats. The "D" model is an example.

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem #8  
Hey Spudgunner!

Hope all is well with you and yours!

Also hoping that you are actually having a productive winter. We had record snow fall last year, and none this year! Oh well, I guess I'll save on equipment service costs and chain replacement for next year...:)

/ ToolCat Arm Rest Safety Switch Problem
Here's an update - and many thanks for your input on all this...

The little button magnet taped to the intermittent failing arm rest switch continues to work perfectly. With the switch where it belongs and being activated by lowering the arm, each time the arm moves, the switch has another chance to not work correctly since it's apparently failing. But, with the magnet in place and the switch removed and placed behind the seat where it won't even bounce around, it is not getting the chance to cycle off so it's just hanging in there and allowing the machine to operate.

The new $35 switch has come in. I will pick it up and put it in service, but I will NOT take the magnet off the old switch. It will remain in the ToolCat as an emergency backup. And, with that backup available, I'm going to pass on the expensive and complicated towing parts.

Now, if we could just get some snow...