Just Arrived

/ Just Arrived #1  

cyberbob

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610 F Series
Just got my 2012 Toolcat 5610 (ordered oct. 11' with all options even Sirius sat radio) delivered from the dealer Friday late afternoon. I've been using it for a few task totaling 2-3 hours over the weekend and noticed a few quirks I would like to pole the forum community for advice on.

1. Saturday AM when I moved the unit from it's parking spot I noticed a 3-4" diameter oil / fluid spot underneath the front driver's side of the drive motor on the concrete slab.
2. Once over the past two days when starting up I received the error code 50-08 "PDR sensor multi response". After stopping and starting the unit a few times the error went away.
3. Saturday PM and Sunday AM when I went to start my TC up I got the error 50-56 "can bus comm. error". As with the other error after cycling the unit from start to stop a few times it went away. FYI on both error all function of the unit worked except for drive forward and reverse until error was cleared.
4. On all startups I get a brief puff of black smoke from exhaust. I'm used to that on my older model ford powerstroke dually but it surprised me coming from a new diesel machine. Unit had 4 hour on it when delivered.
5. My unit is plagued by the constant ac compressor cycling issue. Dealer did provide a service document upon delivery noting that the factory engineers are working on the issue with a possible solution soon.
6. Sirius Sat radio option would not display on the radio. I dropped the center overhead console panel and found that the Sirius sat tuner data cable was not connected. I completed the connection, registered the unit online and all was working again.

Please let me know anyone's thoughts on these issues I'm having on a my new 5610. I'm going to contact the salesperson from the dealer first thing Monday, but any feedback I could get would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be glad to post the progress of these issues as they evolve as it may help other owners in the future.

Attachments

• image-2773926004.jpg
    image-2773926004.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
   / Just Arrived #2  
my only comment is I have a 5600 delivered last OCT, and I notice it smokes more on startup than any other machine I own I assume once I changed oil on 50 hours it would improve but it did not.Turbo's tend to smoke more on start.
have not had anyother issue no error codes!
check your hour meter it appears that every 6 minutes regardless of RPM setting one tenth is read, I always assumed it was one tenth every six minutes at rated horsepower/RPM.
all my other machine calculate one tenth that way.

otherwise great machine!

/ Just Arrived
My big concern is the error codes - especially since on all occasions it shuts down the drive function till cleared. I would assume the fluid leak will be something I will have from time to time with so many hoses and valve blocks. Just has me worried in a new machine.

/ Just Arrived #4  
The 50-56 error is the likely source of your other electrical gremlins, though not the smoking on startup. The main controller sets this code when it has a hard time sending messages on the CAN bus, which is the communications network between the controllers and sensors on this machine. On a new machine I would suspect this is due to a pin not being fully seated in the harness connectors to the controller, but it could also be caused by a damaged/pinched/grounded wire harness. When the communications are flaky, information from the sensors and other controllers may be delayed or not available at all, so you get other error codes for those specific sensors, but the root cause is the compromised CAN bus communication.

It could also be a defective controller or sensor, but on a new unit I would think this is the least likely cause. I had a very intermittent 50-56 on my 2004 B series that I tracked myself to the pins backing out of the connector at the display in the dash. Just had to remove the connector to see if any of them are sitting lower then the others, then grab that wire and push it into the connector until it locks in. Tug on it a couple times to make sure it will stay, and then plug it back together.

/ Just Arrived #5  
Welcome to the forum and to your new Toolcat cyberbob,:)

My '09 5600 puts out a puff on startup as well, I consider this normal. I don't know what the compressor cycling is all about. I did have to add some R134a to the system last week because it wasn't cooling as well but it wasn't doing the typical fast cycling when your low on refrigerant either.

As far as the fist 3 items on your list, I'd suggest giving the dealer's service dept. a call and have them come out and address all three issues. I'm surprised they didn't notice any of those problems when they did the dealer prep on your 5610.

Let us know how it works out for you.

DEWFPO

/ Just Arrived #6  
Make darn sure your dealer knows the problems and records them in case you have to have some warranty work done later.
My Toolcat has been a great machine, but it's so complicated many dealers don't have the necessary training to do service work correctly.
Bobcat has a good warranty and they've went above and beyond on mine.

/ Just Arrived
UPDATE:

I forwarded all my concerns to the dealer yesterday.

They are looking into everything and evaluating actions on each.

Last night when i returned home I started the unit after it had been sitting for 8+ hours and immediately got the 50-56 can buss error code when started.
Again I cycled the unit start and stop 3-4 times and it went away.

Does anyone know the harness number on the back of the dash display that contains the can buss wiring (J1-7)? I've heard where it can be a improperly seated pin from the factory that can sometimes cause this error.

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / Just Arrived #8  
CyberBob,

I had the very same issue several yeasr ago with one of my B series TC's. If you PM me with an email address I will send you a diagnostic procedure that was given to me while we were trying to resolve the 50-56 error code. The sheet does indicate the two comm wires you are looking for.

Tim

/ Just Arrived
Update:

I've reseated the can buss connector on the rear of the dash CPU and am almost 24 hours error free. I used a rented auger attachment to plant several "hubby do's" around the house during which i started and stopped the engine countless times.

I'll have to admit its hard to exit the cab in the Mississippi early heat to drop a plant in the hole when the cab is near 60 degrees from the ac and the sat radio is playing on my favorite commercial free station. Oh well, at least it gives you something to look forward to getting back too after each task while out. This thing truly is a dream machine for all tasks as long as it behaves.