Crack in Toolcat frame

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #1  

MetroX

Tractor
2004 Toolcat "B"
Over the weekend I was doing some routine maintenance on my 2004 B series, and I think I found out what has been squeaking for the last couple years. I know it might be hard to recognize the area this happened, it is the riser that comes up to the base of the windshield to mount the front arm. If you were to look behind the front axle, near where the front shocks mount, you would see this area on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EcpTXakj8bN1wJNuUxCzptMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Does anyone know the warranty that Bobcat offered on the Toolcat in 2004? Any chance of a 'lifetime' warranty against cracking?

While I do use my Toolcat nearly every day, I only have about 1450 hours total on it in nearly 8 years. I would think the most punishing thing I do with it is to plow snow, otherwise I use the bucket to move horse poop, forks to move hay, and the mower deck to cut the grass.

Last edited:
   / Crack in Toolcat frame #2  
Metro,

It appears that the photo did not load...

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #3  
Metro,

Thank you for the 'heads up'. I will be inspecting mine shortly. Any idea what caused it?

Tim

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #4  
Can we get an additional photo with a larger area that is not so close up?

/ Crack in Toolcat frame
I added a zoomed out picture to this album. The way this is cracked is from pushing back or up on the lift arm, so anytime I would drive into a pile of 'dirt' or push snow would be the kind of force to cause this. It surprises me though, the frame looks tough enough for the job. I have never ran into a stationary object or had any kind of collision with it.

To add insult to injury, when I lifted the front end off the ground to get a better look at this area, my passenger shock let go so now I have to replace that too. Yikes. It was fine until the shock had to contain the spring at full extension, that is when it popped. Hope I can buy the shocks separate from the springs to save some money.

There are a couple more pictures here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103878873596482813094/ToolcatFrameCrack?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Last edited:
   / Crack in Toolcat frame
A review of my (very) Limited Warranty Statement does not call out any special treatment for the frame, so same 1 year warranty as the rest of the machine. Given that, and knowing that welding is more art than equipment, would you trust your local Bobcat dealer with a repair like this?

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #7  
Metro,

While I have enjoyed an excellent relationship with my dealer, If it were me I would take it to an experienced Welder.

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #8  
Metro,

While I have enjoyed an excellent relationship with my dealer, If it were me I would take it to an experienced Welder.

Same here..and I wouldn't want just a butt weld. If there's room, I'd want a doubler patch welded over the cracked area.
BTW, although I doubt this applies, make sure you can weld on the frame (call or e-mail Toolcat). That frame might be a high strength steel...reasoning behind this is, if you look at a tractor (as in tractor trailer) frame, you'll see a sticker prohibiting welding on the frame.

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #9  
It is OK to weld on the frame. It is not special steel like the cab frame or ROPS. Be sure to disconnect the battery and unplug both controllers (main connection at the dash panel and controller behind the passenger seat).

/ Crack in Toolcat frame #10  
That is definitely a stress fracture possibly caused by and or contributed to and by corrosion. I agree with the others ~ pro welder. GL