Drive Motor

/ Drive Motor #1  

birddog0304

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere/Massey Ferguson/Bobcat
Had my toolcat about 3 mths now. Its an A. Used it mainly to feed this past winter. Starting moving some dirt and noticed I couldn't push and then I couldn't raise the loader until I changed directions. Changed both filters and cut the old ones open, they were clean. Still having same symptoms. After reading this forum (which is as awesome as the toolcat) I'm ready to put on 2 new drive motors.
Thanks in advance for any help

/ Drive Motor #2  
I would not jump to conclusions on the drive motors just yet. When those motors fail they dump brass filings into the system. If the filters were clean, I don't think the motors have failed, unless they are in early stages of failure.
Your problem seems charge pressure related. The charge pressure supplies oil to resupply the drive system, but also supplies pilot pressure oil to the joysticks to stroke the control valve & pilot pressure to stroke the hydrostatic pumps.
Try unplugging the wheel speed sensor on 1 of the axles, then put the loader into a pile and push. Watch the axles and see if both stall out or just one, and if the loader works OK then or not.
The charge pump inside the drive pump for the front axle supplies pilot oil for the joystick. If the front stalls and you loose loader function, then maybe is motor starting to fail.

/ Drive Motor
SSdoxie thanks. Is that a computer disconnect or a manual unplugging. Where can I get instructions for this?

/ Drive Motor #4  
SSdoxie thanks. Is that a computer disconnect or a manual unplugging. Where can I get instructions for this?

It is just a plug disconnect. Look at either axle, think it is easier to see on the front, just to the side where motor is attached you will see a sensor with running up to frame. Follow that wire (about 12") to a plug and unplug it.
There is a way to shut the axle matching off if the software in the controller was updated. Simply unplugging the senor has the same affect, you will get an error code but Toolcat will still operate.

/ Drive Motor #5  
I have had the unfortunate experience of drive motor failures on two machines. If the motors are failing there will be brass in the filters. Good luck finding the problem with your machine.

/ Drive Motor
Thanks guys for your help. SSdoxie, tried what you said. Did with front unplugged then switched front and rear, then unplugged both. Still the same thing while trying to push and or lift, nothing. Tried driving uphill (about 10-15 degrees) at low rpm (1350) and wouldn't pull itself until I increased to about 1750 and that wasn't pushing anything. Went through the filters with a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything. Limited in my area as far as sending any samples of hydraulic fluid off. I'll try that before buying the motors though. Reading through the forum it just sounded so much like everyone else's problem I was ready to pull the trigger on 2 motors. Big question is any thoughts on motors from aftermarket like LPS , contacting Comer or trying a tool and die shop for a rebuild.

/ Drive Motor #7  
Just thought came to mind, working at lower RPM and having this problem, have you checked the drive belt tension? Drive belts can slip without squealing and give the symptoms you are describing.

/ Drive Motor
Haven't had a chance to check the belt, but that thought made me contact previous owner. I knew that he had changed that belt out. He told me that he had taken it in after it wouldn't move one day. Dealer changed out a directional valve at that time. Since then he had noticed that it never had the same power and he just tolerated and made do. He did mention that it wouldn't move one cold day until it warmed up. He didn't use it much after that because he stopped farming about the same time. Also note I have used a 4 ft trencher on it and had no problems doing that. Sorry I'm just getting the puzzle pieces a little at a time, but I do appreciate the input.

/ Drive Motor #9  
No idea how long ago the drive belt was changed, but after first 50 hrs. use the tensioner should be checked and adjusted if need be. New belt will stretch some as it wears in.

If it was mine, I would have dealer look at it before assuming it was drive motors. 2 new motors will run about $3200, might well be worth a couple hundred or so to have them look at it if drive belt tension is OK.