thinking about buying a toolcat

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #1  

cat 297c

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 299D XHP, Cat 297c, Rayco C140
I've been considering buy a toolcat 5600. To a one machine to replace many side by side lawn mower small tractor to do daily tasks round the house an farm. After finding this forum noticed there's alot of negative to the toolcat sounds like they stay broke more so than running. Is it worth owning one?

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #2  
Forums like this typically only see folks that have questions or issues about a certain piece of equipment. The benefit is you have hundreds or thousands of folks with the same machine telling you if something is normal or if not, how they solved it. Folks that have nothing but good things to say about something, typically don't search the internet for a forum to join just to say they are happy with something. It's just not human nature.

That being said, the Toolcat can replace many pieces of equipment and is therefore more complicated than a typical tractor. I've had mine since late 2008 and it has been extremely reliable.

Some of the earliest models (2005) had trouble with the axle motors and is a known problem.

Are you looking at a particular year Toolcat?

DEWFPO

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #3  
cat 297c,

Sure, the posts here are mostly focused on issues and sharing info to help others if they experience similar problems, so it can seem negative. But if I sold my Toolcat, I would be at the dealer the next day ordering a new one! I don't run mine a lot, but I do use it almost every day. The only thing close to it in capability would be a wheel loader, and I love having the bed in the back of the Toolcat to carry supplies or an IBC tote full of water, AND 12 bales of hay on the front end. Nothing else I know of can do that! Most issues I have had are things that have been improved over the years (like drive motors) or damage due to my own carelessness (two side windows, one rear window, two pair of front fenders, one fuel tank, one tire). All in all, I love my machine and I know it saves me work, saves me time, and saves me money (so I can buy new windows....)

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #4  
FYI - I've had mine since fall 2003 with very little trouble. Only thing I don't like is resale value.... around here the toolcat is still unknown. I'd love to buy a new one but can't find a sale for my current one. My dealer (2 hours away) will take it on trade, but allows me almost nothing for it. I like trading equipment and keeping it newer, but have found it tough with these. I will not be without a TC, though.

BLES

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #5  
I have a 2011 5610 with 200 basically trouble free hours. Have had the ac freeze up, but wound up being fan run too slow and partly clogged filter which was my fault.

I love the machine and will get a new one as soon as I start having problems with this one.

Larry

/ thinking about buying a toolcat
Thanks folks

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #7  
I am toying with the idea of a Toolcat to combine equipment. Looking for the best value. Dependability balanced with cost.
Question: What year/s would you recommend. (I won't buy new) Too expensive.

/ thinking about buying a toolcat #8  
I am toying with the idea of a Toolcat to combine equipment. Looking for the best value. Dependability balanced with cost.
Question: What year/s would you recommend. (I won't buy new) Too expensive.

For example, i have a 2005 high flow with rear pto, a/c, cab, radiator debris screen, etc., with about 675 hours, recent complete service and drive motors checked out and it comes with a light grapple and 4 n1 Bobcat bucket. I am asking about $25,000 for it. Not sure if I will get that much but similar machines are going for that on Machinery Trader. My dealer thought that was a fair price given the options and the relative cost of other machines in that hp class.
The toolcat is cool. For what I do and my terrain, I probably shouldn't have got it. I live where it is mostly rock and very tough brush and trees. It does carry a load well over smooth terrain and is versatile as a tool carrier but I need machines that can dig and lift over 2,000 lbs. My toolcat has loaded a 2600 lb mulcher onto my flatbed truck. It strains but can do it. Impressive considering it is lifting over 1100 lbs above its ROC.

I will miss my machine. It has been pretty much trouble free other than two minor annoyances, two blown hydraulic hoses, and a power steering cylinder leak that was time consuming but seals and parts were cheap. I did replace the tires after running through some rubble and tearing up my tires but I live in a rocky area and tire replacement is not uncommon here.

If you are trying to consolidate, a toolcat will replace a lot of machines and it's nice to be able to carry tools in the back and then have the bucket or a grapple to assist in the chores. Having the rear PTO means that i could add a generator or pto powered log splitter. Doesn't have the 3pt hitch but there are plenty of pull behind PTO attachments or you could make a dolly for one. Since you are looking used, you might not have a great selection of 5610s with the 3pt hitch but should be able to find plenty of 5600s. I would recommend the 56hp turbo over the early 46 hp machines. I've had 11 or 12 Bobcats with the Kubota and it's a reliable motor.

Hope this helps.