OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #1  

albert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat D
My 5600 toolcat has developed a screeching noise which seems to be coming from the left front (?under left fender well, ?steering column). The noise gets worse the longer I run the machine and is worsened by turning the steering wheel. Today, the machine began overheating, making the screeching worse. All filters, radiator screen, oil cooler area, etc. are clean. Am not getting any warning messages. Hydraulic fittings feel very hot. Would appreciate any thoughts as to what the problem might be and/or what I might do to trace the problem down. Thanks

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #2  
Well, I was going to say that I had a screeching noise that got worse the longer I ran the machine and more noticeable on turns as well but the Bobcat Service Manager knew exactly what it was and had me spray silicone spray on the rubber CV boots where they came in contact with the hub. That solved my screeching problem, but it seems your problem may be connected to the machine overheating. If it is it's obviously a different problem.

Screeching typically means a slipping belt but the cooling fan is hydraulically driven. Have you checked to see if your cooling fan is running? Is the system topped up with coolant? A stuck thermostat could cause overheating. If the thermostat were stuck closed, I would expect the coolant temp to continuously climb once the engine is running (assuming your coolant temperature gauge is functioning properly).

DEWFPO

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE
OK, this is where we stand. Coolant is and was up to level. Fan is working well. Ran toolcat in shop for about 30 min. It did not overheat and no screeching noise. Sprayed CV boots at hub as advised, then took toolcat out and began mowing. After about 30 min., temp. was running hotter than normal but was not overheating and screeching from left front began (worse when turning steering wheel). After about 45 min. mower began to smoke and belt broke. Inspected mower and nothing grossly wrong. All wheels, sprockets, blades turn easily. Disconnected mower hydraulics and went back out into fields with toolcat. Did fine for about 30 min. and then screeching began again. At this point, temp was running hotter than usual but was far from overheating. Thoughts?

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #4  
I don't know anything about toolcats but a schreeching noise and high temps would lead me to look for a hydraulic system running the fluid flow over the relief valve somewhere. Are any of the systems hydraulic? You mention it makes noise when you turn the steering wheel. Is it like the noise you get when you hold the steering wheel on your car against the steering stop when the wheels can't turn any further?

Steve

Most of the toolcat systems are hydraulic. Noise is exactly like the noise when a power steering wheel is turned too far.

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #6  
Have you checked the dirve belt tension, belt drive from engine to all pumps.

Try it in both all wheel steer and just front wheel steer. Probably won't make a difference but would be good to know.

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #7  
All: I am a new member, however, I have a screeching noise under the left front side of my ToolCat 5600! My dealer can't find it, it is properly lubricated! Mine only occurs when I have an implement attached! I have tried slicon spray etc. I would praise the individual who has a solution to this problem!

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #8  
I do not know the ToolCat, but what the OP is describing definately sounds like hydraulic oil bypassing through a relief valve or seal - once the machine has been working a while and the oil is hot (combined with metal casings expanding), it is more viscous and can fit through a smaller gap (ie: bypass a seal in the spool block).

Have you checked the oil to see if it has degraded at all - often when over heated, hydraulic oil looses it's viscosity - compare a sample against fresh oil, and change it if necessary...

Just my thoughts based on what you describe - I'm not a mechanic and am often wrong!!! :thumbsup:

I'm the guy that posted the original problem. Have meant to post the solution. Sorry. Anyway, turns out that the cause was overheating of the hydraulic fluid. Cause of the overheating was accumulation of caked debris under the radiator (i.e. between the radiator and the oil cooler underneath), preventing adequate air flow. The dealer said that removal of the bed was required to remove the radiator and get to the oil cooler element but we were able to get between the radiator and the oil cooler element by removing 4 bolts and disconnecting the radiator hoses so that the radiator could be elevated enough to clean out the caked debris between the radiator and oil cooler element. Problem solved! In retrospect, I had been cleaning the engine bay and radiator with a water hose, which wet the remaining debris and allowed it to cake. I am now blowing out the radiator from above and the oil cooler from below with an air hose. The problem has not recurred! Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay.

/ OVERHEATING AND SCREECHING NOISE #10  
Glad you got it sorted - always better to use air to clean radiators rather than water, but guessing you know that now :thumbsup: