Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ??

/ Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ?? #1  

Spudgunner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-23 & Toolcat 5600 D
My Toolcat (D) is about to get its block heater replaced. The Bobcat original part died after about two years and I now have a replacement that wants to be installed. Rather than pull the dead part and presumably let coolant dribble/flood all over the place, I though it might be nice to simply drain down the system a bit, install the new heater, and refill with fresh coolant 'til full. Any suggestions on where to bleed some coolant off?
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

/ Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ?? #2  
Is there a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator?

/ Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ??
Is there a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator?

The radiator is mounted horizontally under the bed and really doesn't seem to be lower than the freeze plug location. Worth checking, though.

/ Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ?? #4  
There should be a threaded plug in the block just below the injection pump. Kubota used to put a drain valve in there but had a tendancy to get broken off so they quit installing it.

/ Where to bleed off some coolant prior to block heater install ?? #5  
When they installed mine they just knocked the freeze plug out, let the coolant drain out, installed the block heater and refilled with coolant. The idea of draining some coolant first in a controlled fashion didn't seem to enter into the equation. I watched the service manager do the install and was frankly surprised that's how they did it.

DEWFPO