Toolcat Drive Motor Failure

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #1  

moon1234

Tractor
Bobcat S150
I just want to thank ALL of you on the forum over the last few years who have posted about the failing drive motors. My father bought an 2010 S150 in March of 2012 with 189 hours on it to plow snow. He turned 70 this year and was tired of getting on the farmall 560 with the bucket and blade in the cold of winter. I can't blame him. It has been a good machine and we used on the produce farm moving pallets on and off the delivery truck and out in the field with pallet bins. The only real downside is that it is a little slow and it will tear the **** out of the loading area if the person driving is not careful.

My father went to Bobcat of Madison and found a 2005 toolcat that a local municipality had traded in. They claimed they somehow mistakenly bought it without high flow and needed that, yet they kept it for a few years. This just sounded wrong to me from the get go. Anyway the local dealer said they would give it a once over. I started doing some googling and found TBN and the reports of drive motors failing.

I asked Dad to call them and have them check the hydraulics over. Low and behold they then told him it was in the shop having both drive motors replaced to a tune of $4000 COST to the dealer. Dad had not signed any paperwork yet and was VERY relived he did not.

My question is, has this drive motor issue been resolved with the latest replacement motors? Are they still using Comer for the motors? My father really likes the idea of the two seater since he can take the grandkids around the farm during the summer. They love riding on his lap in the S150 when he is pickup up full pallets in the field, but it is really tight with a four or five year old. He also likes the steering wheel and more conformtable ride during the winter.

The cost of these things and the reliability seems to be really bad. The 60 year old farmall 560 has NEVER had any issues like this. It was always stupid stuff like a dripping oil from the pan due to old o-ring, same for oil filter, etc. It ALWAYS started and never ground gears or had hydraulics fail. The idea of a $40,000 mini-tractor breaking down in 200-600 hours and costing thousands to repair just seems criminal.

How has Bobcat not had a class action lawsuit against them for this problem or a mandatory recall?

In the end, what would you recommend as a replacement? He wants to plow snow in the warmth and run pallets around in the summer in the cool. It really makes picking melons and other bulky produce a lot easier to just fill a bin and have it loaded on a truck, etc.

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #2  
Hi Moon1234,

While I can't speak for all TC owners, I currently have three (3) TC's and all three have had the drive motor issue. My oldest unit now has approximately 1600 hours and no issues. The drive motor replacement for the oldest unit happen at approximately 328 hours and no issues since drive motor replacement. That price quoated seems cheap as my TC's were $8,000 each for drive motors. We use our TC's (and other equipment) for snow removal. When you start looking at other equipment, the price, features, and abilities pale in comparison to the Toolcats.

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure
Hi Moon1234,

While I can't speak for all TC owners, I currently have three (3) TC's and all three have had the drive motor issue. My oldest unit now has approximately 1600 hours and no issues. The drive motor replacement for the oldest unit happen at approximately 328 hours and no issues since drive motor replacement. That price quoated seems cheap as my TC's were $8,000 each for drive motors. We use our TC's (and other equipment) for snow removal. When you start looking at other equipment, the price, features, and abilities pale in comparison to the Toolcats.

The dealer said that was THEIR cost. My guess is they just eat the labor since they have to sell the thing. I am wondering if you had any failures since you had the motors replaced? How many hours on them since the replacement? Dad really likes the thing and I just don't want him to get sold a lemon that will last a year or two and have the replacement motors die.

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #4  
Moon1234,

All three Toolcats have had the drive motors replace at or around the 300 hour range. As of this writing I have not had any issues with the new drive motors or any other major issues with the TC's.

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure
That is a relieft. What do you think of Dad's idea? Trade a 2010 S150 for a 2005 toolcat? He wants to keep his 6' Bucket, pallet forks and snow blade. Dad paid $24,000 for the S150 in March 2012 with 189 hours on it. The dealer wants $23,000 for the 2005 toolcat with 689 hours. I am just worried that after the replacement drive motors they could fail on him down the road. The 2005 is quite a bit older than the 2010.

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #6  
Moon1234,

I have little knowledge of skid steer values as they are too slow for our use. Does the 2005 (I'm assuming it is a B series?) have Turbo, Two Speed, and a Road Kit? If not, $23,000 seems a little steep with 689 hours. I paid a similar price for a B series two falls ago with Turbo, Two Speed, Road Kit, and 204 hours, and new drive motors…

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #7  
2006 C series Toolcat 5600 had all drive motor failures at 400 hrs, dealer replaced all, another 1000 hrs and no problems with the new drive motors since installed. 2010 D series 1200 hrs and still runs strong. 2012 F series, also still running strong. For snow removal, Hi-Flow Toolcats are the only way to go until something better is produced. I keep looking, but nothing beats the Toolcat's visibilty, easy in & out, comfort, tight turns, many attachments available, comfortable, cozy, safe, easy.....

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #8  
For snow removal, Hi-Flow Toolcats are the only way to go until something better is produced. I keep looking, but nothing beats the Toolcat's visibilty, easy in & out, comfort, tight turns, many attachments available, comfortable, cozy, safe, easy.....

X2, and I'll add, very easy attachment change out.

DEWFPO

/ Toolcat Drive Motor Failure #9  
That is a relieft. What do you think of Dad's idea? Trade a 2010 S150 for a 2005 toolcat? He wants to keep his 6' Bucket, pallet forks and snow blade. Dad paid $24,000 for the S150 in March 2012 with 189 hours on it. The dealer wants $23,000 for the 2005 toolcat with 689 hours. I am just worried that after the replacement drive motors they could fail on him down the road. The 2005 is quite a bit older than the 2010.

I think that 2005 Toolcat without high flow is priced too high. The hours are fairly low, though. What other options does it have?