Buying Advice Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing

/ Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing #1  

Campdog

Tractor
JD 5105M
Just finished my first quick trial of a new ToolCat 5600. Very impressive! My problem is that I am unable to duplicate the field conditions I would use this machine in at the present time. About 1/2 of the planned use would be for mowing fire breaks and weed patches in restored prairie vegetation. The test today used the Flail Cutter in tall grass with a very rough surface. The slower and lower first pass produced excellent results, a little faster and we saw a rougher finished product, but to be honest it was bouncing around so much I'm not sure the results were typical. We also mowed some 1-2 inch diameter sumac brush, and only about 50% of the stems were cut on the first pass. Not sure if this was typical, as it was very dense with about 1 inch of snow on the ground. My concern with a hydraulic mowing system is with overheating in hot August temps. Right now it is -2F, so of course everything was in the green. Can this unit be run in tall, dense grass during typical summer conditions for several hours? Is the 5610 better able to handle this type of work? I like the large bed of the 5600, but could do without if necessary. My goal is to remove an ageing Ford 7740 tractor from our fleet and replace it with a more versatile piece of equipment. The other 50% of use of a Toolcat would be bucket work for creating small gravel parking lots, some auger work to set boundry posts, parking lot borders, etc. We would also use a grapple bucket to pile cut trees and brush for burning. The heavier work we now use the 7740 for will be taken up by our new JD5105M. My local dealer is working on arrangeing a field demonstration in a couple of weeks, and I would like to have some feedback from users prior to the demo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing #2  
Both 5600 & 5610 use the same radiator, oil cooler, and fan system so cooling capabilty is the same. Both will cool well even in the HOT August temps provided the air flow is not obstructed. This is where the 2 models differ. The cooling system on the 5600 sets below the bed closer to the ground so it is more likely to pick up mower clippings and obstruct the radiator screen, just have to stop and clean the screen more often. Cooling system on the 5610 sets behind the cap above the engine, similar to the skid-loader. Being higher up it doesn't pick up as much debris. If you don't need the bed the 5610 may be the better choice, not only for mowing but that model can also have a hydraulic PTO installed and 3pt hitch to use any rear tractor attachments. PTO and 3pt are not an option on 5600, no room to fit them under/behind the bed.

/ Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing #3  
I would look at other options. I own a high flow S750 and a high flow toolcat and clear a lot of fire breaks, fence lines, lots, and ranches. I have been running a mulcher for nearly 13 years on different skid steers both CAT and Bobcat. I do not like taking the toolcat off road. I do mow with it using the finish mower (which surprisingly mows 3" to 4" woody material) and a brushcat but I'm always concerned about working in rough terrain or where material can poke holes in the plastic fuel and hydraulic tank. The toolcat is both a rough ride (I have an older series) and I have had things strike the oil pan, pull wiring harnesses down, and the traction can be an issue. When I mow heavy brush, I use my skid which also has a lexan window. I have had richochet material strike the windshield of my toolcat. Being glass and I've heard over $1000 replacement plus the danger of something entering the cab through the glass makes me not want to use my Toolcat for things such as you described.

To answer about running the Toolcat in high grass for several hours in warm temps, I would say yes. I live in S. Central Texas. Not many places with grass get as hot as we get down here and I've not had an issue with overheating unless the radiator gets plugged. I use screens or cut to fit AC filter to help keep debris out of the radiator and mine is placed at the rear of the machine because I have an older series. I was mowing 3-4' tall prairie grass as a reference and mixed in were some immature junipers. Like I said, I mulch with a 2,600 lb FAE and was impressed by Bobcat's finish mower for mowing high grass and small shrubs/trees but still don't like taking the Toolcat in rough areas.

I've also found the toolcat to be frustrating when digging or spreading road base or gravel. I use mine as a carrier, to load unload my attachments from my truck, and for the mowing I described. It does excel with an auger but so does a skid or CTL.

I have the PTO, too, but found that the pull-behind mower was too close to my rear radiator and it clogged easier. I also didn't like running over high material without chopping it first (clearance issues). For what you are describing, assuming it's not muddy, a 600 series Bobcat skid or a 600 series CTL would be ultra versatile. If you need more power, get a 700 sized machine and jump 6.5 gpm hydro flow.

/ Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing #4  
I use an out front 7 foot rotary mower. Haven't had it long enough to know about hot weather. I got the 5610 because of what I read on here about the radiator screens on a 5600 plugging with a front mower.

PC200003.JPGPC200019.JPG

/ Will Toolcat do the heavy mowing #5  
Looks like the OP is not with us now, but I will update this thread for future info seekers like I was when I joined TBN.

I got the 5610 series F because the main use would be the brush hog. So far, so good! No overheating. Was out a couple of hours in the 95 degree heat, cutting tall grass and brush.

P8070003.JPG P8070004.JPG P8070005.JPG P8070007.JPG P8070008.JPG P8070018.JPG

More rotary mower pictures: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/275578-5610-cutting-brush.html