Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F2400, Kubota F2100, Farmtrac 360, Tool Cat

Default Broken Belt

The Toolcat was overheating after 5 minutes of light use and shutting down on its own.
    I was lucky enough to get the Toolcat back inside the shed after letting it cool down.
    The next morning a small belt was laying on the ground under the engine.
    I was able to get a replacement belt, but was wondering how hard is it going to be to reinstall?
    The old belt was 13+ years old, and the auto parts dealer was impressed at how it held up.
    I am assuming the belt has something to do with the fan to cool the radiator.
    Any helpful hints and/or insights are appreciated.
    TIA
    Yooper Dave

Tractor
    2009 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 D

Default Re: Broken Belt

I don't know what model Toolcat you have but on my 'D' series (and later) the fan is hydraulically driven and it's divorced from the motor. It sounds like the belt that drives the alternator & water pump snapped on you. That's why the engine temps went up.

DEFWPO
    2009 Toolcat 5600 "D-Series", Hi-Flow, 29's, 72" SB-200, 84" Snowblade, 62" Lo-Pro Bucket, Titan HD 48" Pallet Forks

SOLD - 2006 MF GC2300, 2350 FEL, 2315 MMM, 2360 SB, KingKutter CarryAll

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

not a clue about your unit at all.

there most likely an "idler pulley" (pulley on a spring), you might need a "breaker bar" to put into center of pulley of the idler pulley and then pull the idler over, to then slip the belt on.

they do sell "idler pulley" bars at some automotive stores, that are "thinner" vs a "breaker bar" for socket wrenches. so folks can squeeze the bar down in between radiators and all the other crud in vehicles.

to note it, you are not "undoing" a nut on the idler pulley to take the pulley off, you are simply putting end of breaker bar into center of pulley, and pulling the pulley over (pulling against the spring).

on old belt little riding lawn mowers and like. a large screw driver been used by me. but you can easily damage belts doing that.
    Ryan

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F2400, Kubota F2100, Farmtrac 360, Tool Cat

Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    not a clue about your unit at all.

there most likely an "idler pulley" (pulley on a spring), you might need a "breaker bar" to put into center of pulley of the idler pulley and then pull the idler over, to then slip the belt on.

they do sell "idler pulley" bars at some automotive stores, that are "thinner" vs a "breaker bar" for socket wrenches. so folks can squeeze the bar down in between radiators and all the other crud in vehicles.

to note it, you are not "undoing" a nut on the idler pulley to take the pulley off, you are simply putting end of breaker bar into center of pulley, and pulling the pulley over (pulling against the spring).

on old belt little riding lawn mowers and like. a large screw driver been used by me. but you can easily damage belts doing that.

I thought I provided a pretty good hint with the age of the belt. I have an 'A' series.

Regards,

Yooper Dave