Toolcat and V417

/ Toolcat and V417 #21  
just got through replacing another hydraulic line under the cab. My toolcat is kept under cover and yet I'm always replacing the factory hoses because of pin holes that form for no particular reason. Just got through removing the seat, again.

Do you know if the newer toolcats are easier to work on? How about the v417? A salesman told me that the versahandler wasn't very reliable but the 417 uses the kubota 3800, right? If so, that's the same motor as my s750 and my old s330. I also had excellent luck with the 3300 series motors in 5 different machines.

I like the toolcat and have the mower for it. It's light enough to haul but I like to be able to dig when I need to and I hate getting stuck. Looking at the pics of the 417, i'd never be able to that with a skid or toolcat.. so I carry a winch on my truck. Use it more times than I should have and it never rains here! I enjoy having 2 seats.. real tough to let that go but I don't think the toolcat is designed for off road.. The 417 looks more like it would be. Do you know if the bottom is completely enclosed?

/ Toolcat and V417 #22  
just got through replacing another hydraulic line under the cab. My toolcat is kept under cover and yet I'm always replacing the factory hoses because of pin holes that form for no particular reason. Just got through removing the seat, again.

Do you know if the newer toolcats are easier to work on? How about the v417? A salesman told me that the versahandler wasn't very reliable but the 417 uses the kubota 3800, right? If so, that's the same motor as my s750 and my old s330. I also had excellent luck with the 3300 series motors in 5 different machines.

I like the toolcat and have the mower for it. It's light enough to haul but I like to be able to dig when I need to and I hate getting stuck. Looking at the pics of the 417, i'd never be able to that with a skid or toolcat.. so I carry a winch on my truck. Use it more times than I should have and it never rains here! I enjoy having 2 seats.. real tough to let that go but I don't think the toolcat is designed for off road.. The 417 looks more like it would be. Do you know if the bottom is completely enclosed?

/ Toolcat and V417

Do you know if the newer toolcats are easier to work on? I doubt it, they are the same size, but I have never had to work on one.How about the v417? Should be easier, more room. A salesman told me that the versahandler wasn't very reliable [which model? There were 4 sizes] but the 417 uses the kubota 3800, right? Right, Kubota 75hp turbo. If so, that's the same motor as my s750 and my old s330. I also had excellent luck with the 3300 series motors in 5 different machines.

I like the toolcat and have the mower for it. It's light enough to haul but I like to be able to dig when I need to and I hate getting stuck. Looking at the pics of the 417, i'd never be able to that with a skid or toolcat.. so I carry a winch on my truck. Use it more times than I should have and it never rains here! I enjoy having 2 seats.. real tough to let that go but I don't think the toolcat is designed for off road.. The 417 looks more like it would be. Do you know if the bottom is completely enclosed? It has 4 openings for air flow.
PA100018.JPG PA100022.JPG PA100025.JPG

I added some expanded metal to keep the sticks out.

Last edited:
   / Toolcat and V417 #24  
Good thinking.
I don't know why my salesman desn't like the versahandler. It looks like it would do what I need it to do and excel on the heavy trees I work with.
What year is yours and do you know if it comes standard with cab and air?

I have gotten used to having the toolcat but nobody uses it but me and aside from mowing and collecting a little brush, I only use it for loading and unloading attachments off my trucks. I've never felt comfortable taking it to job sites to move trees because I've ripped the wiring harness out after brush caught it. There is very little protection under my B series toolcat for anything off-road.

/ Toolcat and V417
Good thinking.
I don't know why my salesman desn't like the versahandler. It looks like it would do what I need it to do and excel on the heavy trees I work with.
What year is yours and do you know if it comes standard with cab and air? 2010 and I think it does now.

I have gotten used to having the toolcat but nobody uses it but me and aside from mowing and collecting a little brush, I only use it for loading and unloading attachments off my trucks. I've never felt comfortable taking it to job sites to move trees because I've ripped the wiring harness out after brush caught it. There is very little protection under my B series toolcat for anything off-road.
The F series Toolcat has skid plates, don't see any exposed wiring. This one has been in the brush a lot, no problem. :thumbsup:
P3070023.JPG PC190003.JPG

/ Toolcat and V417 #26  
That's good to know. My dealer doesn't have an F series for me to see. I like the idea of the versahandler but I don't think anyone else will be able to operate it or want to learn. I have a 335 excavator that helps with the big logs but had thought I could use the 417 to help with stock tanks on steeper grade than I'm comfortable with in the Bobcat. The toolcat isn't much use in moving dirt for me.

/ Toolcat and V417
Check out this european version of the 417.. It looks like it has an updated cab and a few other options. Not sure why it's not offered in North America. It's showing that it has a 50 gpm hydraulic flow on high flow and almost 120 hp

TL470HF Telescopic Handler
View attachment 345355
That is the european version of the V723 that used to be sold here. Lifts 7,000 lbs. 23 feet high.
2006_bobcat_v723_4x4_versahandler_with_cab_____cheap_1_lgw.jpg9034305.jpg 1787681424.jpg
It is much bigger overall than a V417.

Bobcat just recently quit selling the V518, V623, V632 and V723. They were made in France. That is why I wondered which model your salesman didn't like.

/ Toolcat and V417 #29  
That is the european version of the V723 that used to be sold here. Lifts 7,000 lbs. 23 feet high.
View attachment 345383View attachment 345384 View attachment 345385
It is much bigger overall than a V417.

Bobcat just recently quit selling the V518, V623, V632 and V723. They were made in France. That is why I wondered which model your salesman didn't like.

I'm going to ask specifically which one they had problems with. That European model looks cool.
If the F series Toolcats can be used off road and are a bit easier to work on, I may still consider one. My b series has a PTO but no 3pt. I'm not sure if I want to go with the 3pt and give up the bed. I don't use the bed often but when I do, it's great. If I could clone myself, I could use the excavator to load the toolcat's bed and make cleaning ditches and loading debris off the road easier. Can't get good help around here.

/ Toolcat and V417
That's good to know. My dealer doesn't have an F series for me to see. I like the idea of the versahandler but I don't think anyone else will be able to operate it or want to learn. I have a 335 excavator that helps with the big logs but had thought I could use the 417 to help with stock tanks on steeper grade than I'm comfortable with in the Bobcat. The toolcat isn't much use in moving dirt for me.
The V417 is easy to operate, steering wheel, FNR lever, joystick, go pedal and stop pedal. The dashboard switches, buttons and icons are the same as the Toolcat.

I'm going to ask specifically which one they had problems with. That European model looks cool.
If the F series Toolcats can be used off road and are a bit easier to work on, I may still consider one. My b series has a PTO but no 3pt. I'm not sure if I want to go with the 3pt and give up the bed. I don't use the bed often but when I do, it's great. If I could clone myself, I could use the excavator to load the toolcat's bed and make cleaning ditches and loading debris off the road easier. Can't get good help around here.
How much does your excavator weigh? The Toolcat's tow rating is 4k and they make tiltbed excavator trailers.

This is what I do when using two machines here on the ranch.

Hook up the trailer to the V417, load the Ranger EV, pull to the work site, unhook the trailer.
P6250002.JPG P6250008.JPG P8050004.JPG

Drive the EV back to the shed, drive the Dumper back to the work site.
PC200010.JPG P3200011.JPG P3200013.JPG

My F series Toolcat with 4 wheel independent suspension gets around pretty good offroad.
P2100032.JPG P4120002.JPG P8300027.JPG
You still have time to buy one and get the Tax break before the end of the year. :thumbsup: