Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
For those that haven't thought of it, or never drove a machine with crab steering.

Since there is no provision on the switch, you can do it manually. While stopped in 4 wheel steer turn the rear wheels all the way in the direction you want to go, then switch to front wheel steer, and turn them all the way around to the same angle. Now you can move sideways, forward or reverse, away from a fence or building. Very handy with a brush hog on the back, or on a slippery side hill.

Another thing I do, is offset the rear wheels a little to the left when moving a round bale, makes it easier to see past it. Also offset right or left with the front rotary mower, to get the cab farther away from tree branches at the edge of the woods.

This procedure should work on any 4 wheel steer machine that can switch to 2 wheel steer.

P3130026.JPG P3130028.JPG P3130030.JPG

Last edited:
   / Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #2  
I've done this exact same thing on my 5600D. Pretty cool actually.

DEWFPO

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G
I've done this exact same thing on my 5600D. Pretty cool actually.

DEWFPO

Good to know it works on the D.

Do the older ones have 4 wheel steer?

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #4  
Mine's an '09 bought in '08 but I thought all the 5600's going back to the A Series had 4 wheel steer.

DEWPFO

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #5  
Mine's an '09 bought in '08 but I thought all the 5600's going back to the A Series had 4 wheel steer.

DEWPFO

I have an early edition A model and it is equipped with 4-wheel steer.

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #6  
All of them came with 4 wheel/2 wheel steer. There is a selector switch on center console.

For those that haven't thought of it, or never drove a machine with crab steering.

Since there is no provision on the switch, you can do it manually. While stopped in 4 wheel steer turn the rear wheels all the way in the direction you want to go, then switch to front wheel steer, and turn them all the way around to the same angle. Now you can move sideways, forward or reverse, away from a fence or building. Very handy with a brush hog on the back, or on a slippery side hill.

Another thing I do, is offset the rear wheels a little to the left when moving a round bale, makes it easier to see past it. Also offset a little right or left with the front rotary mower, to get the cab farther away from tree branches at the edge of the woods.

This procedure should work on any 4 wheel steer machine that can switch to 2 wheel steer.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumping this old thread with pictures of the offset mentioned in the first post:

P8300020.JPG

P8300016.JPG

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #9  
I agree, crab steer is very handy under certain conditions. I have one section of my driveway that is down slope (12% grade) and off- camber. It's north facing, and doesn't get sun in the winter. It's paved and is always icy due to snowmelt runoff. I can only snow blow going downhill due to limited traction issues, even with chains on. Sometimes in the winter when I'm snow blowing that section of the driveway the Toolcat will slide down into the trees/brush along the driveway there such that I can't even open the operator side door. The only way to get it out of there without scratching the TC up any more is to lift the snowblower and crab steer it back out of the trees. Pretty Handy.

DEWFPO

/ Crab Steer on Toolcat Series F and G #10  
I use it to stack plastic totes full of wood right next to the beams as the totes and forks are narrower than the toolcat.. Xfapman has taught me much!!