4 Wheel Steer Relay

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #1  

nateatvtc

Tractor
l120
I have a 2004 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 (B series maybe) that the 4 wheel steer is not functioning. When you align the wheels so both lights are on and click on 4 wheel steer the steering wheel locks up and neither set of wheels can be turned. You can move forwards and backwards in a straight line but no turning. I have no clue where to start with this issue and nobody else seems to have any ideas either so I am going to start with the simple stuff and go from there. I have located 3 relays in the cavity where the battery is located. I am assuming that one of them must be the relay for the 4 wheel steering and was wondering if there is any easy way to determine this. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay
Okay, not the relay. I swapped all 3 relays around and no changes. So now I am STUMPED. I do not have any idea where to go from here. Any ideas????

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #3  
How did you move the rear wheels to get the light on?

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #5  
.... I have located 3 relays in the cavity where the battery is located. I am assuming that one of them must be the relay for the 4 wheel steering and was wondering if there is any easy way to determine this. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Okay, not the relay. I swapped all 3 relays around and no changes. So now I am STUMPED. I do not have any idea where to go from here. Any ideas????

Yes, troubleshoot, don't assume anything, use a voltmeter and find out why the solenoids that operate the rear steering cylinder aren't energizing. Might be a blown fuse, wire pulled off or broken, or a bad ground connection.

You may have to buy a service manual from Bobcat online, to trace it down.

Good luck and let us know what fixes it.

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #6  
The service manual for my 5610F, shows 12v to the selector switch, then to the three AWS solenoids on the steering selector valve located below the rear cover near the drive motor. There are three connectors, with two wires each.

Yours might be different.

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay
The service manual for my 5610F, shows 12v to the selector switch, then to the three AWS solenoids on the steering selector valve located below the rear cover near the drive motor. There are three connectors, with two wires each.

Yours might be different.

So I broke down and bought the service manual which was very helpful in finding areas of potential problems. I found the three AWS solenoids and found that they were all getting voltage and showing continuity. At that point I thought maybe hydraulic. I attempted to remove the hose going into the left rear steering cylinder. After turning it a quarter turn at a time for way to long I decided that it was not coming out.... or going back in. To see if I was getting hydraulic fluid to that fitting I put the machine in AWS and turned the wheel both directions to see if fluid was pushing out the fitting. There was little or no fluid so I tried again and figured that I would really give the steering wheel a jerk to see if I could get it to move fluid. To my amazement, something broke free and all 4 wheels turned. I backed it off the ramps and took it for a spin in the driveway way only to find that I now have 4 wheel steering.... in one direction. It will turn on a dime to the left but just barely turn to the left. Now the problem is seeming more mechanical than hydraulic or electric but looking at the rear steering set up I cannot see anything that looks like it would only allow the steering turn one direction. Technically it is turning two directions just it just won't steer much past straight once you get back to center. Any thoughts?

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #8  
So I broke down and bought the service manual which was very helpful in finding areas of potential problems. I found the three AWS solenoids and found that they were all getting voltage and showing continuity. At that point I thought maybe hydraulic. I attempted to remove the hose going into the left rear steering cylinder. After turning it a quarter turn at a time for way to long I decided that it was not coming out.... or going back in. To see if I was getting hydraulic fluid to that fitting I put the machine in AWS and turned the wheel both directions to see if fluid was pushing out the fitting. There was little or no fluid so I tried again and figured that I would really give the steering wheel a jerk to see if I could get it to move fluid. To my amazement, something broke free and all 4 wheels turned. I backed it off the ramps and took it for a spin in the driveway way only to find that I now have 4 wheel steering.... in one direction. It will turn on a dime to the left but just barely turn to the left. Now the problem is seeming more mechanical than hydraulic or electric but looking at the rear steering set up I cannot see anything that looks like it would only allow the steering turn one direction. Technically it is turning two directions just it just won't steer much past straight once you get back to center. Any thoughts?

I guess you mean the rear axle won't turn Left. Can you hear the relief valve open when turning all the way left or right in 2WS?, does it sound the same in 4WS?

Try driving forward in 4WS, turn all the way left, and back half way. Switch to 2WS, turn right until the light comes on for the front axle centered, switch to 4WS, turn right as far as possible, switch to 2WS, turn all the way left, switch back to 4WS, turn right and see if the back goes past straight. If the back stays at the half way back position, it is not a mechanical problem. If it stops where it did before, it is mechanical.

Mine sometimes won't turn in 4WS until you push the go pedal just a little, then it turns.

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay
Yes, I guess I mistyped that. I can steer to the right but only slightly to the left. I don't believe that I hear a relief valve open in 2WS. In AWS there is more hydraulic noise from the rear of the machine but that would make sense as the valve is now pushing fluid that way.

The rear wheels still stop in the same position if I move it into and out of AWS as described. Looks like a mechanical issue.

/ 4 Wheel Steer Relay #10  
Did you find the problem?