Raising lift arm manually

/ Raising lift arm manually #1  

MetroX

Tractor
2004 Toolcat "B"
My 2004 Toolcat popped a hydraulic line somewhere along the area where the lift arm cylinder resides, promptly dumping out gallons of nice hydraulic fluid. I can't tell which line exactly has failed, I think it is either one of the supply lines for the front attachments on the lift arm, or one of the front drive axle lines. In order to get a wrench on the lines to remove them one at a time, I need to lift the front arm up. I tried lifting the arm with another tractor, but all I could do is lift the entire front of the Toolcat. I though for sure the lift arm bypass valve (red knob under the dash) would have let it go up, but apparently this is just there to allow the arm to drop down without hydraulic power. Anyone have experience with lifting the arm manually?

Rich

/ Raising lift arm manually #2  
My 2004 Toolcat popped a hydraulic line somewhere along the area where the lift arm cylinder resides, promptly dumping out gallons of nice hydraulic fluid. I can't tell which line exactly has failed, I think it is either one of the supply lines for the front attachments on the lift arm, or one of the front drive axle lines. In order to get a wrench on the lines to remove them one at a time, I need to lift the front arm up. I tried lifting the arm with another tractor, but all I could do is lift the entire front of the Toolcat. I though for sure the lift arm bypass valve (red knob under the dash) would have let it go up, but apparently this is just there to allow the arm to drop down without hydraulic power. Anyone have experience with lifting the arm manually?

Rich

There is a procedure in the manual to lower the boom without starting the motor. That should allow it to be raised with another tractor.

/ Raising lift arm manually
Unfortunately, the lift arm bypass feature does not allow the lift arm to be raised by another device, it apparently only bypasses the lower cylinder circuit. I had to remove the line from the control block under the drivers seat, then lift the arm (I used an engine crane) until I could place the safety device on the cylinder to hold the arm up. I lost about another gallon of hydraulic fluid doing this, just to add insult to injury.

20130421_203404.jpg