Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
I need a cab, 4wd, FEL and a big (7+ foot) mower. I am looking at 40-50HP CUT's with a FEL to move 1000lb hay bales at my farm and a large mower to cut a couple estate size properties. Cut quality does not have to be stellar, just decent. Ground can be pretty steep, bumpy, certainly not a golf course. Grass may be let go fairly high at times with 2' high grass being entirely possible.
So bottom line is, can a toolcat 5610 with 90" finish mower handle that type of mowing? Can a toolcat load, unload 1,000 lb round bales into small trucks or trailers effectively? Is the toolcat pto/3pt legitimate? Could it handle smaller 3pt implements ok?

I currently do these chores with a small farm tractor and a 8' bush hog. It's too rough on the property when cutting. Other reason is that I need a 3rd tractor. Operations have expanded.
Or would I be better off with a 40-50 HP cut with a big (72-84") mmm and an FEL?

What I dislike about the CUT with big mmm is cleaning and sharpening middle blades. Also stability on steep ground. I'm assuming toolcat front mower is easier to maintain, but could be wrong. Assuming toolcat is stable on hills compared to CUT due to low center of gravity.
Thanks and sorry for all the ?'s, but it's a expensive decision.

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #2  
Hey, Hay Dude! I am very happy with our 5610 F series. Only have 64 hours on it, so is barely broken in.

The cab is great! 4 wheel steer is great! :thumbsup: You probably have seen my threads here in the Toolcat Forum, but I will answer some of your questions.

It handles 5x6 round bales, no problem.
P1060001.JPG

I was told by the manufacturer that this 7' mower weighs 1800 pounds.

It will pick it up with no counter weight on the 3 point.
P4010076.JPG

I hung the scale on the bare SSQA and chained it to a tree, showed 3001 pounds of lifting force.
P3220001.JPG

No experience with the 90" finish mower, but just put the boom in float mow in comfort, with it out front where you can see what you are cutting.

It is very stable on steep side hills.
P4010046.JPG P4010055.JPG

It will handle 3pt implements on either end! :D

6' on the front
P2100035.JPG P2100032.JPG P2100039.JPG

8' on the back
P3180001.JPG P3180003.JPG P3180013.JPG

Have not used the hydraulic PTO, only rated at 25hp, But Bobcat is very conservative with their ratings.

One possible disadvantage is the 7' lift height of the loader boom.
P3130018.JPG P5240014.JPG P5240017.JPG

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #3  
My only problem is that it doesnt go through mud very well. My field has a few wet spots in the spring, i stay clear of those areas. Have had to pull it out a few times with truck or tractor.

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #4  
If I read your post correctly then you will be looking at mowing grass that is upwards of 2 feet tall. Don't think you will be happy with the finish mower. It will not cut that well and without high flow will bog down and quickly overheat. A brush cat will do a much better job. I have some steep hills on my place and am happy with my 5600 model A. It truly is a work horse for me.

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #5  
My Toolcat is an "A" model. I bought it new in 2004. It has been a very good machine. I have over 2700 hours on it, and had very few problems. Had to replace a few hoses, etc. The only things I don't like is how easy it is to overheat when mowing and the lift height.

I would love to have a new one !

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read
Do the newer models have a lower propensity to over heating?

Xfaxman- awesome reply with the pictures and stuff. Just the info I was looking for. Maybe the finish mower isn't the right fit, so what is the widest front mount light brush mower you can get for it? Was hoping 8'.

I guess hi flow is a no brainer option?

/ Pondering toolcat. Toolcat owners please read #7  
Do the newer models have a lower propensity to over heating? The 5610 does not.

Xfaxman- awesome reply with the pictures and stuff. Just the info I was looking for. Maybe the finish mower isn't the right fit,

Don't give up on the front 90" mower, the only negative comments are from older series 5600 owners.
Mower Attachment - Bobcat Company

so what is the widest front mount light brush mower you can get for it? I don't know, I already had the 7' for my V417. Was hoping 8'. Toolcats use a standard Skid Steer Quick Attach mounting system, Any Skid Steer mower will fit.

I guess hi flow is a no brainer option? My dealer said it is standard on the 5610 F series

You haven't said if you are looking new or used. Either way, go to a dealer and demo a 5610 with the front mower, then you will know what it will do.

Good luck and keep posting. I planned to get the front mower, if it didn't do good with the brush hog that I already had, but it handles it just fine. When I get the brush under control I plan to get the 90" mower.

Great points you make. I would love to have brand new toolcat, but it looks financially out of my reach.
Therefore, I started to look at used units. Used 5610's are rare as hens teeth.
I believe I have 2 options:
1-Buy a used 5600 toolcat (unless a newer used 5610 falls out of the sky) I found one 5610 about 1500 miles away.
I might settle for a used 5600 I found about 5 hours away. It's an 08 D model with only 180 hours for $31,500. Seller has a lightly used 90" finish mower, too.

2- Buy a 50hp New Holland CUT with a 84" mmm and FEL. I know it's not a low center of gravity or have side by side seats, but it should get the job done.

Good news is time is on my side. I'm not in a rush, but a used 5610 is probably my best choice, so long as its a newer used one.

So are ALL 5600's going to overheat when mowing?
That seems ridiculous that Bobcat would expect customers to tolerate an inconvenience like that.