Buying Advice Bobcat mulcher

/ Bobcat mulcher #1  

Tlysflys

Tractor
Kubotta M5040
Did anyone use the Bobcat mulcher on a Toolcat? Is an F series able to handle it? What were the results?

/ Bobcat mulcher #2  
Did anyone use the Bobcat mulcher on a Toolcat? Is an F series able to handle it? What were the results?

The toolcat isn't rated for the mulcher for the following reasons:

Not enough flow. Pressure on the low side, too.
It would max out the lift capacity
Huge glass windshield inappropriate for any type of mulcher
Tires aren't really rated for mulching applications
No protection for all the windows when working around trees and limbs.

You need an 80-90 hp machine, minimum, to run the mulcher effectively. I know some guys run them on lower horsepower machines but it would be frustrating and inefficient.

I imagine a toolcat would run the flail mower. I have a B series and it does a good job running the brushcat and bobcat mower.

/ Bobcat mulcher #3  

:welcome: to TBN.

What size trees are you wanting to cut?

Whoops, just noticed you have been a member longer than I have!

I saw that your post count was 2, add got fooled.

Last edited:
   / Bobcat mulcher
Mostly buckthorn, anywhere from brush to several inches in diameter. If the mulcher does not work with the Toolcat, what do you guys recommend, a rotary mower or a flail mower? What are the pluses and minuses of each?
Thanks

/ Bobcat mulcher #5  
Mostly buckthorn, anywhere from brush to several inches in diameter. If the mulcher does not work with the Toolcat, what do you guys recommend, a rotary mower or a flail mower? What are the pluses and minuses of each?
Thanks

I use a 7' rotary mower that is rated to cut up to 4". Skid Steer Rotary Brush Mower
P3310019.JPG P4010028.JPG P4060002.JPG P4120013.JPG

More of my pictures here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/275578-5610-cutting-brush.html

/ Bobcat mulcher
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. How heavy is your mower? When I looked up on the company's website, the 6' weighs 2,300 lbs and the 7' weighs 2,500 lbs. it also lists that they cut up to 8" trees (seems) a big claim.
Best TL

/ Bobcat mulcher
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. How heavy is your mower? When I looked up on the company's website, the 6' weighs 2,300 lbs and the 7' weighs 2,500 lbs. it also lists that they cut up to 8" trees (seems) a big claim.
Best TL

What I meant to ask is can the Toolcat handle such a weight?

/ Bobcat mulcher #8  
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. How heavy is your mower? 1800 pounds, rated for 3" When I looked up on the company's website, the 6' weighs 2,300 lbs and the 7' weighs 2,500 lbs. it also lists that they cut up to 8" trees (seems) a big claim. Yep, but look at the cutting system, with the 425 pound cutting wheel.
_t2ec16f_zoe9s5nc3o_bry_b6h32q_60_57.jpg _t2ec16n_zue9s389y3-bry_b-_gf_60_57.jpg slasherBottom.jpg

Best TL

That is the "SLASHER skid steer brush mower", I have the "Rotary Brush and Grass Mower".

What I meant to ask is can the Toolcat handle such a weight?

My 5610 handles the 7' Rotary just fine, even with no counter weight on the 3 point. Also when you are mowing, half of the weight is on the front wheel.

I think the 6' Slasher would pretty much max it out. I have measured 3000 pounds of lift at the SSQA plate, but 2300 pounds extending that far out would be a big strain on the listed (by Bobcat) 1550 ROC
P3220001.JPG.

/ Bobcat mulcher #9  
you won't like that much weight out front. You would get stuck a lot and be tippy.
A rotary cutting 8" takes a lot of horsepower and will still sling material. You need lexan for that heavy mulching.

For what you are wanting to do, a 5' rotary, max, would do it no problem. The brushcat by Bobcat mows heavy brush good but it is heavy. If you have a c series or later toolcat, it will handle a 5' brushcat. I had a 60" for years but when I upgraded to a 6' and tried it on my toolcat, I was disappointed. I have a B series, though, and the rollback isn't as good as a C series or later (different arm design).

The Bobcat mower I mentioned will chop 2" brush. it's more of a heavy duty lawn mower but I use it on the ranch for very thick range grass, brush, etc but a brushcat or comparable brand is more for that. I've been mowing/mulching for almost 15 years and find that you can do a lot with a rotary if you take smaller bites. I also own a forestry head for my bigger machine but I'm finding that running my small mower on the toolcat gets the small brush better plus I save a ton of fuel, weight, and headache.