Toolcat Legroom

/ Toolcat Legroom #11  
For all you tall (over 6'1" plus) Toolcat D-model vets, how well do your legs fit? I'm considering a purchase, am 6'2" (a more legs then torso 6'2") and have found the machine cramped when sitting in the driver's position. Very disappointing given the size of the machine compared to smaller UTV's that are predictably lousy on legroom. Is there any room behind or below the seat for modification? I would probably need 2-3 more inches. Think that's possible? Thanks and great forum!
I have a 2013 5600F.With seat all the way back you have about 1/2 to 3/4 inch before you hit the back that is all no more.The distance from bulge in seat back to bottom part of dash is 31 1/2 inches. From the deepest part of seat to overhead you have about 39 1/2 inches. If you went up vertical you could go back also. That would be no trouble at all. Just make some riser bars for under seat rail.They are a good machine overall but it has it's limits as all equipment does. On side slope machine can be very dangerous if it is slick mud or even slippery leaves. The four wheel drive leaves a little to be desired. Not to scare you but keep that in mind. Going straight up hills I have 45 degree + hills and it has no trouble at all. Good luck....

Last edited:
   / Toolcat Legroom #12  
What would we do without you Dennis? ;)
I am considering ordering a Toolcat before year's end and my salesman told me I could only get a "G" series but he didn't have any specifics on what was different other than he thought it might have more ground clearance?

Everyone seems to like the F series. Not real excited about Tier 4 as it's just more money and more to go wrong in the motor but it is what it is..

I have to decide quickly if the Toolcat will fit my needs. While we are on the subject, my B series doesn't dig very well and the bucket rollback isn't very strong. I know they changed the boom and the rollback issue was fixed in the C series. As far as digging, does the independent suspension and extra hp help? What about the ride? My B series is what I would describe as rough.. on par with the skid steer. I'd be using the Toolcat in place of my mule for traveling around our small ranch. Nothing is level here and there's a lot of rough ground. Is the ride good enough with the independent suspension to use it off road and on trails without jarring my spine?

/ Toolcat Legroom #13  
What would we do without you Dennis? ;)
I am considering ordering a Toolcat before year's end and my salesman told me I could only get a "G" series but he didn't have any specifics on what was different other than he thought it might have more ground clearance?

Everyone seems to like the F series. Not real excited about Tier 4 as it's just more money and more to go wrong in the motor but it is what it is..

I have to decide quickly if the Toolcat will fit my needs. While we are on the subject, my B series doesn't dig very well and the bucket rollback isn't very strong. I know they changed the boom and the rollback issue was fixed in the C series. As far as digging, does the independent suspension and extra hp help? What about the ride? My B series is what I would describe as rough.. on par with the skid steer. I'd be using the Toolcat in place of my mule for traveling around our small ranch. Nothing is level here and there's a lot of rough ground. Is the ride good enough with the independent suspension to use it off road and on trails without jarring my spine?
I can't tell you to much about the digging because I really haven't pushed mine to the limit. I have a combo bucket on it though. I usually use backhoe to dig with and Toolcat just to do finish work. Most of the time it is a dump truck. As far as the ride goes it is much better than a skid steer. The one drawback that I think it has is limited travel on suspension before it hits the rubber snubbers. But the ride should almost be as good as your mule. It would not be any better I am sure. I think all the rollback issues have been corrected.

/ Toolcat Legroom #14  
SSdoxie, I hate to hijack the thread but is the F (soon to be a G) series easier to work on than the B series? My B is fairly reliable but I have to take the seats out to change many of the hoses and it's very tight and hard to get to them.
I bought a service manual to help but it's still a tough job. Do you know if the drive motors are stronger? Thanks in advance!

/ Toolcat Legroom #15  
I can't tell you to much about the digging because I really haven't pushed mine to the limit. I have a combo bucket on it though. I usually use backhoe to dig with and Toolcat just to do finish work. Most of the time it is a dump truck. As far as the ride goes it is much better than a skid steer. The one drawback that I think it has is limited travel on suspension before it hits the rubber snubbers. But the ride should almost be as good as your mule. It would not be any better I am sure. I think all the rollback issues have been corrected.

Thx that was what I was looking for. My thought is to use it for a dump truck too. I have a 335 Bobcat excavator to load it.
I am glad the seats don't slide up anymore.. I've hit my head on the roof a few times with the suspension seat!

/ Toolcat Legroom
Big help, guys. Thanks. Doesn't sound like the G-model will offer anything new as far as leg room. BigKitty, thanks for the heads-up regarding slopes. I don't have anything that steep (45 degrees), but I can approach 20 to 30 degrees in places and along with some deep ruts, can easily pucker you up.

/ Toolcat Legroom #17  
A traction control option became available in August on the tail end of F-series production. It is a factory installed option to consider if ordering new. It uses brakes to slow down the free spinning wheel to force wheel with traction to turn. Similar to traction control on todays cars & light trucks.

Yes, there are different drive motors than used in A-C, starting using Rexroth motor in the D-series.

/ Toolcat Legroom #18  
Good info. I always thought it needed a differential lock for pushing. I have a button to push in my B series but it doesn't seem to help much with traction.

/ Toolcat Legroom #19  
The B had a rear dif lock. But it would only engage if rear wheel were straight ahead, indicator light for rear wheels has to be on (green) or controller won't allow dif lock to engage.

/ Toolcat Legroom #20  
Mine, when I hit the button, I had to hold it down to keep it green even if the rear differential was in the straight position.
I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a G series so that I have a machine I can use off-road a little more. I appreciate your help and those who have chimed in on the F series.